Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
I see no list with this post. Am I blind. Maybe my iPad app isn't showing it for some reason?
Probably an iPad or App issue. There are two PDF files attached to the post you quoted:

File Type: pdf PTS List.pdf (121.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Exterior Paint to Sample 01-23-2014-3.pdf (47.8 KB, 10 views)

-nh4.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

I see no list with this post. Am I blind. Maybe my iPad app isn't showing it for some reason?
It shows up on my ipad, but here's the links:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...u-pts-list.pdf

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-23-2014-3.pdf
Old 07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
thanks for the link. That is one exhaustive list. I had no idea there were so many approved PTS colors available!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

thanks for the link. That is one exhaustive list. I had no idea there were so many approved PTS colors available!
Fun, isn't it? Pick a color, any color...
Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Eduardo, I've asked this in another thread, but thought I should come directly to the oracle.

You've provided lists of approved PTS, deviating thread and deviating carpet, but is there a list of approved deviating leathers? Specifically, can the 981's amber orange be spec'd into a 991? If so, is there a list of specific leather areas that can be deviated as well as the cost? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Deviating...Leather

Originally Posted by hinckley
Eduardo, I've asked this in another thread, but thought I should come directly to the oracle.
If you find him, could you ask him what stocks to invest. Oh, that 'Oracle' in Carmel. Never mind, I thought you were talking about Warren from Omaha!

...is there a list of approved deviating leathers?
I have never seen a Leather-to-Sample official list. The only Leather-to-Sample color that I know for sure is currently available at PAG is 'Natural Brown', a special/natural leather that was previously offered on the 997. I know that because I specifically ask Melissa Witek about it and she said 'Yes, it is'. There are probably many other Porsche interiors in a variety of colors done in recent years at Zuffenhausen. Customers in the Middle East are notorious for requesting the strangest color interiors on their luxury sport cars and they have the money to pay for it!

Specifically, can the 981's amber orange be spec'd into a 991?
Yes, I believe you can! We have seen 'Lime Gold' leather from the current 981 used as seat inlays on a PTS 'Birch Green/Lichtgrün' 991 recently photographed by <3mph at Porsche (photo attached). So the 'Amber Orange' should be available...and has been probably already done by 'Porsche Exclusive' on a 991 by special request!

If so, is there a list of specific leather areas that can be deviated as well as the cost?
I don't know costs. But door panels, seat inlays, back panels, dash all seem like possible candidates for deviating leather inside a 991 today. I have see just about all of those panels done in deviating leather in a 991 in the past few years.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks Eduardo. I'll reach out to the Exclusive folks and let you know what I find out.

btw, Omaha vs Carmel?? Really?
Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Eduardo. I'll reach out to the Exclusive folks and let you know what I find out.
Thanks. I'll be nice to get that confirmed.

btw, Omaha vs Carmel?? Really?
Bet on the Oracle of Omaha...always! This guy knows a thing, or two, about men & their seemingly impetuous habits!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Adding Posts from other P-related threads!

Since I think of this tread as reference material for others to get ideas or get basic questions answered on PTS and 'Porsche Exclusive' options, I am going to add here duplicates of other posts that I have used to answer related 'Porsche Exclusive' issues in other threads.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by G55amg
Eduardo

In your opinion what are the top 5 PTS desirable colors?
Thank you
JV
Originally Posted by CAlexio
I also would like his opinion on this...
Desirable approved PTS colors in market (my guess):

1) Riviera Blue

2) Mexico Blue

3) Pastel Orange

4) Gulf Blue

5) Viper or RS Green

Desirable approved PTS Colors from my own personal perspective:

1) Viper (closest today to W25 'Signal Green' in my opinion)

2) Signal Green 22S

3) Signal Yellow

4) Riviera Blue

5) Lichtgrün / Light Green / Birch Green

6) Gulf Orange

7) Etna Blue

8) Maritime Blue

9) Fashion Grey

10) Voodoo Blue

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Three different types of 'Painted Wheels' are available!

Eduardo
Can Porsche do wheels in deviated color? Like doing gloss black with brushed lip?
Regular 991 Models:
They CAN on the regular 991 models - both in gloss black & matching your exterior color. Both only come with visible brushed lip in metal. (see photos 1 & 2).

991 gt3 Model:
The standard wheels are done in 'Platinum Satin' (photo #3). They do NOT offer any deviating color wheels on the gt3 OTHER than High Gloss 'Black' or 'Silver'. None of the gt3 wheels can be ordered with brushed lip in metal. In the tradition of the gt3 series, at least going back to the 997 gt3 RS versions, their distinguishing characteristic has been that if painted, there was never a brushed lip in metal associated with it! So for the 991 gt3, Porsche has apparently gone back to this 'rule'. (see photo # 4)

Originally Posted by <3mph
I think they can do this as part of Exclusive. This (attaches photo which is #5 of a 'Birch Green' 991) was at Zuffenhausen.
This option shown in the photo is different...and a lot more exensive! It is wheels painted in a deviating color (in the <3mph photo it's 'Black') and the rim done in a color matching the exterior paint! But the center can also be done in other deviating color (photo #6). The back of the rim is also painted, which is not the case in the standard XDA option that only cost $1635. In the latter, only the front part of wheel is painted 'Black' or exterior color- the interior portion of the wheel is left in a 'primer-looking' grey which makes it a pain to keep 'clean'! (see photo #7).

This option shown in photo #5 by <3mph is not included in the US configurator - but it's available. But you might not appreciate its high cost but it can be ordered (photos #8 & #9). Can you see the difference in the treatment of the interior/back of the wheel between photo #7 and the more expensive #8 & #9?

I believe that this last option is only available on regular 991/981 models, not gt3's.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images          
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PTS window(s)

Originally Posted by atleung
I've never done a PTS before, so I have no idea how the process works. My sales guy told me recently that there is a certain window during which PTS is done, but he could elaborate on when this window is. Does anyone know whether there is a certain process/policy that dictates when the PTS build window starts and ends? BTW, my order will be a RS. Thanks.
For regular models, the PTS window usually opens at the start of the model year ordering process (e.g. May/June 2014 for MY2015 991's). It often closes in the Fall (e.g. December 2013 for MY2014 cars) and the PTS orders are build in batches the following Spring! That is not set in stone. For the MY2012 Boxster Spyder, the 'PTS Window' opened up for two weeks in March of 2011 and the cars (only 3 for US market) were built all in July of 2011. So go figure.

For gt3 & gt3 RS's, it varies and there might not be any set rules for PTS. For example, I don't think that PAG allowed PTS for MY2007 in the .1 997 gt3's, period! The first PTS .1 997 gt3's that I remember were all MY2008's. For the MY2007 & MY2008 .1 997 gt3 RS's, only one other color was allowed besides 'RS Orange', 'RS Green', 'Silver' & 'Black'. And that color was 'White'. PAG truly didn't allow PTS (in the real sense) in the 997 gt3 RS's until the .2 versions in MY2010/MY2011. A few PTS were allowed in MY2010...but the bulk of the PTS gt3 RS's were built in MY2011!

For the folks that ordered a 991 gt3 early and were scheduled for production in the fall of 2013, they were told 'no' on PTS! For those expecting to get their MY2014 991 gt3's in the spring or later, PTS was apparently available. But the deadline for PTS was December of 2013, when the 'window' closed! The 'stop sale' messed up those orders. Someone in this forum has claimed there is at least one 991 gt3 for the US market that was done in PTS and was finished just before the 'Stop Sale'. It is supposedly now at port here in US awaiting its new engine. But we have yet to see photos of a real PTS MY2014 gt3.... The Indonesian 'blue' car is believed to be a 'vinyl wrap'. (new info: We have now seen PTS gt3's in Europe, believed to be late MY2014's that were done Paint-to-Sample but caught up in the 'stop sale' - see attached photo of a 'Birch Green/Lichtgrün' gt3 in Germany and perhaps a 'Viper Green' gt3 in Austria!).

What PAG might decide to do re: PTS on the yet-to-be introduced MY2015 gt3 RS is anybody's guess. My hunch is that PAG will limit color selection to 4/5 choices, much as they did for the MY2007/2008 gt3 RS's. They are probably going to offer at least two really 'loud' exterior colors in the 'RS' tradition! And there is a pretty good chance, based on recent history with that model, that PTS will NOT be initially offered on the 991 gt3 RS...but only to be available in the .2 version in a few years down the road. Assuming there is a .2 version of the 991 gt3 RS!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images     

Last edited by Z356; 07-14-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Add More Photos!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default RE: 'Mahogany Metallic' - More expensive color on gt3!

Originally Posted by Macca
Not really a "GT3" colour IMO but does look good. Actually not sure what doesn't on this car....the amaranth red is also nice but again a sophisticated colour for a race machine...
Of the two colors shown by Macca, the 'Mahogany Metallic' is the most striking! As most of you know, 'Amaranth Red Metallic' has been dropped as an offering in MY2015 and its not yet approved for PTS. So no sense in trying for that one on your rare PTS allocation for MY'15.

The one interesting thing I found out just now checking on the US configurator is that 'Anthracite Brown Metallic' is a $3140 'Special Color' for the gt3 and it's only $710 on the regular 991 models. Go figure!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default RE: Painted Brake Calipers in 'deviated' colors???

Can you order the calipers painted a different color from Porsche?
Only on the extremely expensive 918 Spyder and with one other choice of color solely (Silver). Here is how I understand it and which I have recently posted also in the 991 forum:

"The official line is that PAG wants certain colors associated permanently with a particular variation of their brakes so that they are instantly recognizable by 'all' worldwide. So 'Speed Yellow' for the PCCB's, 'Guards Red' for the 'S', 'Black' for the non-S (base), 'Acid Green' for the Hybrids, and 'Silver' for....don't ask, because even they don't know why they are painting some calipers 'Silver' (e.g. some Panameras & Macans). For their super VIP 918 clients, they have allowed them to option their calipers in 'Silver' if a customer doesn't want them in the standard 'Acid Green'. That is a costly option at nearly $3K! But for anyone else ordering a less expensive model from factory, I don't think they are giving you even that choice!

In Zuffenhausen last year, the 'Porsche Exclusive' representatives spent time explaining to me why PAG normally refuses the many requests they get each year from customers asking for their brake calipers in a deviated color. The answer the give, they said, is always 'Nein'.

Interestingly, some other auto marques that allow optional deviating colors on their brakes caliper have recently had a surge in requests for 'Speed Yellow'. This apparently in order to broadcast to the world that they paid extra for carbon fiber rotors and have everybody easily recognize them! So Porsche's color branding strategy is apparently subconsciously 'working' on the greater auto enthusiast world even beyond their own models!"

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default re: Audi RS Blue

Originally Posted by rosino
On to another VERY important point.. do you happen to know which colour is this one.. I have heard it referred to as Audi RS blue.. but cannot find more details anywhere about it.

I wanted to get in touch with the owner as he used to be on pistonheads.. but he's apparently in a place where communication with the outside world are not allowed and orange is a fashionable colour to wear your uniform in.
Well, 'RS Blue' (which later became Audi's popular 'Nogaro Blue') was the signature color of the 'old' Audi RS2 Avant (photo #1). It was claimed that it was inspired, or copied directly, from a Porsche blau color (like in photo #2?), which was not that surprising since the car was actually assembled at Porsche in Zuffenhausen's Rossle-Bau building! At the time, I thought the Porsche color in question was 'Maritime Blue' (last photo, #3). But now I am not so sure. 'Maritime', in my opinion, is a much nicer color than Audi's 'Nogaro' and it's not a Metallic. It has some 'purple' tones. Maybe others can chime in on this subject. By the way, 'Maritime Blue' is currently approved as a PTS hue with color code # 38B!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I think the email still works in the Eastern part of the Ukraine and the 'new' Russian territory of Crimea.

Attached Images    
Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Does the PTS color or paint code appear on the Monroney Window Sticker of a Porsche?

Originally Posted by GJ
Wouldn't the paint code be on the window sticker?
No, it doesn't show on the Monroney window sticker on a Porsche. In the 997/987, it did showed up on the inside of the external gas lid. On the 991/981, we need to inquire as to where that color ID is found on the chassis!

In addition, the Porsche dealer who ordered the car has access via PCNA's computer & order system the information sheet that would immediately give anyone the color code for that particular PTS in dealer inventory. But that is a separate sheet that is not on the car.

Re: gas lid: Can someone confirm if that this 'colour' code is still found on the inside of the gas lids of the newer PTS 991/981? If you have a PTS 991/981, I would appreciate if you could check that out for us! Thanks. If not found there, have your found the paint ID of your PTS 991 or 981 anywhere else on the chassis?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!