Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I think this is a sign that I could have Alzheimer light.....
Suzy, the 'correct' medical term is affectionately called "Partzheimers"

By the way, if you have it, then there is no hope for the rest of us - your knowledge and insight remain way up there with the best of them!

Cheers!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
Suzy, the 'correct' medical term is affectionately called "Partzheimers" By the way, if you have it, then there is no hope for the rest of us - your knowledge and insight remain way up there with the best of them! Cheers!
LOL! Thank you

Regarding the Carmine red color... It's now clear why it's 981-only. It's for the Boxster/Cayman GTS. (Very nice looking car BTW, especially in that color)

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/boxster-gts/

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayman/cayman-gts/

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lromanosky
Looking at these photos, Guards Red Stitch looks an awful lot like Carmine Red, but I did double check and in the Porsche Marketing material I did come across the following...

"Ordering process for decorative stitching in Carmine Red and Peridot
When ordering the Cayenne GTS in combination with the GTS Carmine Red interior package (order code 6FQ) or GTS Peridot interior package (order code 6FR), Carmine Red or Peridot decorative stitching is automatically used for all CT leather items"

Anyway there isn't a whole lot of difference between them...

Cheers,
Lawrence.
Extremely refreshing to see a dealer ordering interesting cars on spec. I would like to do a build (PFUBFSJ1 - Porsche code as an example) based on C2S or Turbo S cab using PTS Carmine Red (a la Boxster GTS) and the Cognac/Espresso with interior trim/PCM/shifter trim in Carmine.

The combination looks great to me on the web-builder using Guards red for the mock-up. (Although it does look a bit like it had been kitted-out in Modena)

Unfortunately the local dealer here in Vancouver rarely has anything other than black/grey/silver cars on black interiors.

Would be great to be able to see some more "colorful" options first hand -

I will drop by your shop for sure next time I'm in Calgary.

Ciao

Ken
Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Article in NY Times about Porsche Options

Not much news here for us though…
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/au...ef=automobiles
Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 PM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Hello Mr. Carmel & fellow forum members;

Congratulations Eduardo on your vast knowledge of Porsche automobiles & the more-than-opaque dark-side of 'Porsche Exclusive' ordering process. I doubt you have many peers. I did skim this thread from beginning to end before posting; & hopefully I'm within all forum guidelines. My personal thanks to you (& other knowledgeable contributors) for “sharing” your knowledge & personal experiences (and many handsome photographs). Sharing isn’t often a contemporary trait!

I’ve just parted with my second last 365. I'm closing in on my firmed personal list for a new build 991-series Targa 4S. I’m old, grumpy, & conservative . Too old for a cabriolet (and Mrs. Polo threatened divorce after 37 lovely years of marriage while living through full rebuilds of nineteen 356's). However I have the pleasure of living in a lovely temperature zone & the new Targa seems the right compromise; though NO Porsche is truly a compromise.

In my youth I wouldn’t have ever imagined a ‘targa-style’ personal car but this will be the last vehicle I’m likely to acquire. It will be my everyday motor; (mrs. Polo lends her Cayenne on rare required occasions).

I’ve been up close to the new Targa, but it’s quite difficult to elicit complete details regarding the roof covering material; and as a “possible” option Zuffenhausen has been completely mute. I went back through my Porsche library & travelled to inspect several older primo Targa’s but I’m still left perplexed.

The custom order department help has been efficient but I’d be interested in any specific knowledge anyone might have with respect to “varying” the colour/texture of the ‘targa-top’ roof. I’ve even inquired about buying a second ‘top only’ (by specific part number including necessary accoutrement) & modifying post-delivery. I have the tooling & workshop to do the surgical swap but this unfortunately doesn’t seem a likely possibility in the next several years (apart from morbidly seeking a Targa casualty).

As stated I’m conservative. The ordered car will be a shade of white (approved) & single colour leather interior without too many options not already available. It has been difficult to edit out the actual ‘dash top clock’ while still adding the SCPackage.

Any useful information and/or opinions (apart from order the ragtop or sunroof model) would be graciously received.

Best regards;

MarkoPolo

(thanks for allowing a forum newbie to slow down the normal tête-à-tête)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 AM
Joe Sackey
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Z356
The 'Clueless Dealer Award' this month goes to Aristocrat Motors in Merriam, Kansas (otherwise a very distinguished dealer group), who lists the following PTS 2012 .2 997 Turbo as 'Aqua Blue Metallic' in their website!

http://www.aristocratmotors.com/vehi...-ks-id-6120400

It's not even a 'metallic' color, for heaven's sake! I happen to like the after-delivery applied 'Orange' stripe right down the middle too! To some it might look as 'Gulf Blue', but that color wasn't approved for PTS until fairly recently during the 991 period. You may remember that there was a beautiful .2 997 gt3 RS ordered in 'Meissen Blue' (the late fifties' 356 color) a few years back (second photo). I don't see 'Meissen Blue' on the currently approved 991/981 PTS list, but it's a great historic Porsche color. If someone is a customer of Aristocrat, could you kindly ask them to check the 'colour' on their vehicle's gas lid and tell us the cipher for this beautiful PTS color!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Eduardo,

I have the Meissen Blue 3.8 RS.

My contact in Germany who got me the build sheet tells me its the only RS variant done in the Porsche Ag heritage color Meissen Blue.

I'm so happy to see you mentioned the historic 356 link.

People think its Gulf Blue, but its quite different, much more subtle with a grey tint.

The other reason I wanted to post is in response to the image you posted. Here are current images of the car, thank goodness its back to exactly the way it was built at the factory minus the stripe and with its original silver wheels. I think a graphics delete with silver wheels RS is sublime, but then I'm biased. You are a wealth of information which I often read, but when you touched on one of my favorite subjects, I had to post.
Attached Images      
Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Absolutely lovely, Joe. Thanks for sharing.

(Also, good to see you over here, as well!)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Absolutely lovely, Joe. Thanks for sharing.

(Also, good to see you over here, as well!)
second that...my daily fix of auto-art! this car is the only one of which i can look at countless iterations and never get bored
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Sackey
Eduardo,

I have the Meissen Blue 3.8 RS.

utterly WOW!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 991 Targa color tops!

Originally Posted by MarkoPolo
Hello Mr. Carmel & fellow forum members;

Congratulations Eduardo on your vast knowledge of Porsche automobiles & the more-than-opaque dark-side of 'Porsche Exclusive' ordering process. I doubt you have many peers. I did skim this thread from beginning to end before posting; & hopefully I'm within all forum guidelines. My personal thanks to you (& other knowledgeable contributors) for “sharing” your knowledge & personal experiences (and many handsome photographs). Sharing isn’t often a contemporary trait!
Thank you Marko for your kind words. It's a cooperative effort from many & we are building our collective knowledge here on this forum every day! And congratulations on your first posting at Rennlist!

Originally Posted by MarkoPolo
I'm closing in on my firmed personal list for a new build 991-series Targa 4S...it’s quite difficult to elicit complete details regarding the roof covering material...The custom order department help has been efficient but I’d be interested in any specific knowledge anyone might have with respect to “varying” the colour/texture of the ‘targa-top’ roof.
I anticipate that a color selection similar to the one offered on the current 991 Cabriolet or 981 Boxster will be made available EVENTUALLY on the new version of the Targa. But I wouldn't hold hope for it in the near future...e.g. MY2015. I also expect that we will see the current Targa roll bar offered in at least a 'Matte Black' option...but also not anytime soon! I believe Porsche executives & designers want customers to first envision this version of the Targa in the visual style of its original iteration in the the sixties & early seventies. In other words, with a 'Black' top and a Stainless look Roll Bar! They know that when ordered with interesting colors to visually contrast with the stainless roll bar & black top, the 991 Targa will make a positive impression on the buying public! I also believe that.

So if this Targa model (as currently designed) survives the rigors of the marketplace, sells in acceptable numbers, doesn't experience troubling warranty issues with its complicated top mechanism and is expected to be continued into the next chassis, I doubt they'll introduced either of these two 'variations' - different color tops or 'Matte Black' roll bars - in the .2 facelift 991 (which will last from MY2016 to perhaps MY2019).

If however, this Targa doesn't become a sales hit in MY2015 worldwide, it might see changes coming sooner to it. Indeed, we might see different color tops or options for 'Matte Black' roll bar sometime during the .2 991 post-facelift era. If these dramatic changes happen to the Targa, that might not necessarily be a good sign for the longevity of this particular model! It might mean that there are no plans to carry this version of the Targa into the next chassis of the 911 and thus no reason to save any 'spice' or 'special options' for the future...since it will not have a future! So be careful what you wish for.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo, I have the Meissen Blue 3.8 RS.
My contact in Germany who got me the build sheet tells me its the only RS variant done in the Porsche Ag heritage color Meissen Blue. I'm so happy to see you mentioned the historic 356 link. People think its Gulf Blue, but its quite different, much more subtle with a grey tint. The other reason I wanted to post is in response to the image you posted. Here are current images of the car, thank goodness its back to exactly the way it was built at the factory minus the stripe and with its original silver wheels. I think a graphics delete with silver wheels RS is sublime, but then I'm biased. You are a wealth of information which I often read, but when you touched on one of my favorite subjects, I had to post.
Thank you, Joe. You have a beautiful, unique car there! Enjoy it. See you are nearby in California. Hope to see you here in Carmel during the Porsche Parade in June or the Historics in August.

Glad you got rid of the 987 'Spyder' stripe! We first saw this car for sale at the Porsche dealership in San Antonio (TX) in late April, 2011. It was discussed then as an interesting PTS color on a thread at 997 gt forum on Rennlist. See post #28 in link below!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...rnative-2.html

Interestingly, back in April 2011 it was shown with at the dealership with its wheels painted to match the exterior (see photo #1), although there is a note in the RS Registry about the original wheels 'painted silver'.

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/2011GT3RS/vin/3462.htm

Yet video pitchman Dale Malik (photo #2) mentions in his Byers video that the wheels were matched to the exterior at great expense to the first owner (sent back to the factory in Germany?). So Joe, what is the real story behind these painted Meissen rims?

This is how the gt3 RS looked when it reappeared in Ohio with very low miles and for sale at Byers Imports:

Then in 2013 it was talked about in Rennlist when it appeared at RPM Sports Cars and eBay:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...rots-cars.html
Joe: I assume this is the time frame when you bought it. You did well! Best of luck with it.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Yet video pitchman Dale Malik (photo #2) mentions in his Byers video that the wheels were matched to the exterior at great expense to the first owner (sent back to the factory in Germany?). So Joe, what is the real story behind these painted Meissen rims?
Dale's videos are hilarious.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Joe Sackey
4th Gear

Thank you, Joe. You have a beautiful, unique car there! Enjoy it. See you are nearby in California. Hope to see you here in Carmel during the Porsche Parade in June or the Historics in August.

So Joe, what is the real story behind these painted Meissen rims?
Eduardo,

Its worth noting that the full story behind the wheels of the Meissen Blue GT3 RS 3462 is quite straightforward. Porsche Ag received an order for them in Silver. They built and supplied the car to Porsche San Antonio in with the wheels finished in Silver, as requested.

There are 3 items that prove this:

- The car's factory 'Fahrzeug Informationen' which states 346, translated by my German contact affiliated with Porsche Ag to be "standard rims/ basic silver".

- The car's Porsche Ag window sticker which simply states "Wheels Painted Silver".

- The car's Porsche Ag Certificate of Authenticity which also states "Wheels Painted Silver".

In addition to the aforementioned, testimony from the receiving dealer (Porsche of San Antonio) is clear that the car was received in its striking Meissen Blue PTS paint with silver wheels in late 2010.

If there is any 'story' to the wheels, it would be that the ordering gentleman upon seeing the newly-arrived car decided (for some reason!) that the car would look better with the wheels color-coded, so he had the dealer request that the factory supply wheels in Meissen Blue.

When I had the opportunity to buy what was essentially a new 3.8 RS (it still has just 505 miles!) which happens to be the only RS of any kind in the historic Meissen Blue, I was very grateful for the opportunity, and did not hesitate! Shades of blue are my favorite colors. Replacing the silver wheels was done even before I took delivery of the car, as the pics I will post below show. I am one of those people who prefers to pay homage to these cars by preserving them as they were built.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Joe Sackey
4th Gear

Default PTS Meissen Blue

The pics below are how I took delivery of the car, exactly as it left the works. I plan on making no modifications.

As you can see Meissen Blue is slightly more grey than Gulf Blue.

If anyone is interested, Meissen Blue (Meissen Blau)'s Porsche Ag internal color codes have varied through the years as follows:

1957 to 1959 - 356A Meissen Blue 5703

1957 to 1959 - 356A Meissen Blue 703

1958 to 1959 - 356A Meissen Blue 317

The color was revived in 2007 by Porsche Ag with a new color code:

2007 - Meissen Blue Z54
Attached Images       
Old 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo, It's worth noting that the full story behind the wheels of the Meissen Blue GT3 RS 3462 is quite straightforward. Porsche Ag received an order for them in Silver. They built and supplied the car to Porsche San Antonio in with the wheels finished in Silver, as requested... I am one of those people who prefers to pay homage to these cars by preserving them as they were built.
Congratulations Joe! The car looks so much better in its original configuration with 'Silver' wheels!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!