Negative Nancy's.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
You have misinterpreted what I have posted.........

What I am trying to communicate is that we should basically not attack each other in the forums and be more constructive.........and a bit nicer.......

As an observation.........It seems that in the forums for higher end - more expensive brands, etc.....it is an ego battle on posts at times......

Every enthusiast has their own particular brand they love.......and that should be respected.......they all serve the purpose of being cars in the end....

Playing nice......Probably should have said it just like that and not used any analogies or sarcasm......cheers.......
The flurry of irrational bickering in recent threads might have prejudiced my reading of your post -- I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. Anyway, I think it's time to unsubscribe from this thread and let it die an ignoble death.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We heard the same b*tching when the 997 came out :-)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche518

The truth is the 911 is a dying automobile.
No, it's merely been reanimated like Dr. Who
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Seriously? By whom? Lovers of fried eggs?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Die post die....
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

The admin posted already, but it seems that you gents need another reminder.

You may like / dislike , love / loathe , feel strong / feel nothing about the new 911.
You may think and post anything negative or positive you want about the car. No limits , no rules. This is an open discussion forum.

You may also vigorously debate about subjective and objective points, you may strongly disagree with another member, you may also use timely and appropriate humor to do so. (in fact humor should be a prerequisite around the internet)

But under any circumstance you may not use foul language, insult or attack other members or users for their opinions or points of view.

Last warning.

Now about the 991.

It is a brilliant piece of engineering and the most evolved 911 of all times. Period. No questions. It will be until the 991.2 and so on..
What is debatable is the direction of its evolution..

My criticism focuses on 3-4 main points / rules. ( fortunately all of them need no driving tests)

1. You want more electronics, driver - aids? Fine. I think that they can do more good than bad and actually promote safety and enjoyment for many drivers. But please allow me to have total and full control over them. Off means off.

This also implies that a proper manual gearbox remains an option. It also ensures that the car is tested to drive and balance perfectly without them.

2. You want electric steering to comply with directive xxx, save fuel, etc.? Fine. Use the electro hydraulic version from the current Cup cars. What you chose contradicts rule n1. It's electronic and automatically interferes with driving / braking and I can't turn it off.

3. You want a "real" 911. Make a racing version and bloody race it. STAT (I am a gynecologist / moderator) : ). Then use a version of its basic components (chassis, engine, tranny) for (some of) the road cars.

You can do it with the coming GT cars and this time do it right for the whole series when it comes to the engine.

The GT Mezger motor is perhaps the best motor on this planet, but the fact that the non GT 996 and 997 cars used a cheaper inferior motor was a big foul. This time they have the chance to make it right, with one core..like it should be.

Best,
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the "Alex Forrest" of threads. Now let's see how long it takes for someone to figure that out!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You used "Gynecologist" and "tranny" in the same sentence. As an Endocrinologist I must ask what sorts of patients you are seeing these days? *

* Attempting some of the humor you insist upon
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
You used "Gynecologist" and "tranny" in the same sentence. As an Endocrinologist I must ask what sorts of patients you are seeing these days?
Just for a change of pace,since you are an Endocrinologist, what do think the normal high TSH value should be? Around 4.5, or 3.0? Keep in mind that I drive a GTS and not a 991.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Really? Was there somebody out there that preferred the 996's interior styling? Exterior styling? Quality? Performance? Pretty sure it was the opposite - the 997 brought back buyers (and simply Porsche enthusiasts) turned off by the 996. I was one of them.

Perhaps it is Porsche's marketing and handling of the introduction that is turning many of us off. For instance, after offering a LSD and sport bucket seats for the last few years in the 997, at launch the car doesn't even have a manual transmission, for the first time in Porsche 911 history. Or that in August 2004, the entry level 997 3.6 at launch was ~$75k, while the entry level 991S is ~$100k. Yes, manual transmission 991S and 991 3.4 (don't get me started) base models are becoming available, as will sport buckets. But as a lifetime Porsche owner, I was not at all tempted by any of the many dealer introduction parties in the area - just nothing exciting there in the form of a 991 - they are simply not marketing to me as a buyer. In 2004, however, my car was ordered in July. Couldn't wait for the 997. Loved every angle of it. Still do, four years after selling it - can't say the same of the 991.

So, yeah, some of us are disappointed. Some of us that are real, multiple new Porsche owners want to love the new 911, but don't. We are allowed to be disappointed. And we vent here, hoping that Porsche is listening. If 911 history is any guide, the next generation will once again hit the sweet spot for all.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Obviously some require a longer pause than others for comprehension to sink in. Feel free to take as long as you need.
Sorry, regardless of the time available, one can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
In fact, understanding Porsche's very soul as intimately as I (my brother in Munich has owned many 911s over the years and I have driven all of them) is precisely why I can clearly delineate exactly where and how each generation has deviated.
We are indeed in the presence of greatness.......

Interesting discussion, but I think it's usefullness is ended!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Really? Was there somebody out there that preferred the 996's interior styling? Exterior styling? Quality? Performance? Pretty sure it was the opposite - the 997 brought back buyers (and simply Porsche enthusiasts) turned off by the 996. I was one of them.

Perhaps it is Porsche's marketing and handling of the introduction that is turning many of us off. For instance, after offering a LSD and sport bucket seats for the last few years in the 997, at launch the car doesn't even have a manual transmission, for the first time in Porsche 911 history. Or that in August 2004, the entry level 997 3.6 at launch was ~$75k, while the entry level 991S is ~$100k. Yes, manual transmission 991S and 991 3.4 (don't get me started) base models are becoming available, as will sport buckets. But as a lifetime Porsche owner, I was not at all tempted by any of the many dealer introduction parties in the area - just nothing exciting there in the form of a 991 - they are simply not marketing to me as a buyer. In 2004, however, my car was ordered in July. Couldn't wait for the 997. Loved every angle of it. Still do, four years after selling it - can't say the same of the 991.

So, yeah, some of us are disappointed. Some of us that are real, multiple new Porsche owners want to love the new 911, but don't. We are allowed to be disappointed. And we vent here, hoping that Porsche is listening. If 911 history is any guide, the next generation will once again hit the sweet spot for all.
Nah your wrong, I love my full leather interior, love the center console with buttons on the console and not on the door where they get all wet. I dislike the 997.1 with a passion. I accept the .2 because they actually improved it over the 996 but I'd take a 996 GT3 or TT any day over one. The bulbous rear end is still ugly on the 997. I have to admit though I think they did a good job with the head lights when compared to the hack job they did with the 993. To me I prefer the 964 head lights, the 911 open bumper. I still prefer the 996.2 head lights over the 997 and think they are more modern and functional then even the 991 lights.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Just for a change of pace,since you are an Endocrinologist, what do think the normal high TSH value should be? Around 4.5, or 3.0? Keep in mind that I drive a GTS and not a 991. "

TSH normal range is based on a population standard. The mean TSH is about 1.5 and the distribution curve is skewed to the low end. I aim to treat such that TSH results are about 2.0 in treated hypothyroid patients. Frankly, anything above 3.0 in "normal" persons may be indeed normal but could represent disease in persons with hypothyroid symptoms, a goiter, positive thyroid antibodies, etc.

As a GTS driver who has spent some time in the 991 to give it a good whirl....I'll say you'll need a lower TSH ....to improve reaction times.... to drive the sportier GTS compared to the floaty boaty feel of "driving" the 991!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
quibbs
Intermediate

Yes, it's not real driving. Only real men can appreciate a real car... /rolleyes

Love the implications... the more people insinuate there is some special skill involved in driving a 997 around town the harder I have to laugh.

It seems to me, if someone is secure about their purchase then multiple postings about a dislike of the new Porsche would not be needed. Why else continually post these things? I seriously doubt Porsche is going to sit up and take notice of this horrible product they have unleashed upon the masses by reading it on Rennlist.

What do people really expect when they post negative statements over and over again? Just because you can post something doesn't mean you should. At some point it all goes from debate to just being rude.

For the last time, we all get it. You are the real men, who know what all Porsche were, are and should be from here on out. Great, congrats, wonderful.

I still really like the new 991 and will until it gives me a reason not to, and for me, it was every bit as good or better than my 997.1 TT.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Interesting discussion, but I think it's usefullness is ended!
Mike I think you are right. My last post was a bit late. : (

Thread closed.

Quick Reply: Negative Nancy's.....