Sponsored by:

PDCC: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
First it was PDK, then PDCC. I can hardly wait until the discussions start about four wheel steering.
and the first all electric 911...

Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4-5 seconds at the ring attributed to PDCC. ie: .055 - .068 / secs per turn or 1/20 or 1/15 th of a second at an average saved per turn on the ring.

Go to around 2:45 on this video...

or find the 45 minute video holmes posted on xmas eve and see the Project manager mention 5 secs on the ring.

Upon some more digging, PDCC on the 991 is also different on the 991 vs the Panamera or Cayenne. In the 991, hydraulic actuators whose purpose is to change the effective spring rate of the suspension (vs PASM for the damping forces) are doing the work.

As has been said over and over, it is great for shaving fractions of seconds on the track and autocrossing as others have mentioned. If those are your goals, get it. If you just gotta have the latest and greatest and will feel left out if you don't , get it. If your goals are neither and you dont always care about the latest and greatest and just want one of the best cars on the planet to drive regardless, don't get it.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
In 2005, it was PASM and PSM. Sigh. People just need to give up and go see a doctor. v
What amazes is that so many people who disdain technologies that improve power delivery (gear changing) or suspension performance don't have a problem with technologies that raise power (usually when they have them).

Sometimes I think that beyond Formula V, (or my old 9142.0), its all cheating. Then again, I don't mind cheating when a thought and toe wiggle instantly places the 991 beyond the traffic knots.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That and news media clowns with no online street cred as journalists probably never fully test drive the vehicle and take journalistic shortcuts like reading the spec sheet on the 991 and basically say "ah-ha, electronic steering and adaptive suspension; I can meet my deadline by just saying it's electronic and too soft" when the reality is quite different and track and test data prove the opposite in the most stark terms possible. Pathetic. Seriously folks, you have better commentary on cars from old crusty dudes like Gary (no offense, brother...actually was a compliment) than from the *** clown, tools at certain "car magazines" that are struggling to turn a profit (pigs will fly out my *** before I buy a subscription).
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
That and news media clowns with no online street cred as journalists probably never fully test drive the vehicle and take journalistic shortcuts like reading the spec sheet on the 991 and basically say "ah-ha, electronic steering and adaptive suspension; I can meet my deadline by just saying it's electronic and too soft" when the reality is quite different and track and test data prove the opposite in the most stark terms possible. Pathetic. Seriously folks, you have better commentary on cars from old crusty dudes like Gary (no offense, brother...actually was a compliment) than from the *** clown, tools at certain "car magazines" that are struggling to turn a profit (pigs will fly out my *** before I buy a subscription).
No problem. I'm flattered.

Gary
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree the info and commentary shared here is much better than most journalists save for perhaps Chris Harris.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by simsgw
No problem. I'm flattered.

Gary
CRUSTY! OK.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

For those that believe that the "Electric Steering" diminishes useful steering feedback as suggested by several reviewers, it may be of interest that when PDCC is optioned, the electric hydraulic pump is replaced by an engine driven hydraulic pump similar to previous models since additional pump power is required to control the roll bars. Personally, I am convinced the lack of steering displacement by small road deviations in the 991 vs previous 911 models is a function of the additional welcome isolation of the chassis, reducing unwanted tire and wind noise and unwanted deviation from driver inputs. To reduce laptimes on racetrack, and to smooth the ride in traffic by relaxing rollbar stiffness, PDCC is highly desirable. I find the steering excellent on both systems and PDCC a very welcome addition.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The sport chassis button I pressed this afternoon during a spirited Sunday drive indicated no such smooth ride albeit it was no where near as jittery and inefficient as my old PASM activated 997 from 2005. Smooth ride is the nomenclature from many of these so-called car magazines that are perhaps not the best words to convey the actual feeling. I can very much feel what my 991 is doing and how she is reacting to the road surface as much as in my old 997. You would not get that impression from reading some of the stuff from no name journalists. Just sayin.

And when I say inefficient, what I mean is that it is not cool to hit a hard turn and feel your tires bounce in a jittery manner while pulling a .9 lateral g or greater. My response to that kind of jittery feeling would be to back off the throttle and yet with PDCC I'm hitting it harder and remain fully able to feel the limits of tire adhesion.

Last edited by holminator; 12-31-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: iPad typing....
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
For those that believe that the "Electric Steering" diminishes useful steering feedback as suggested by several reviewers, it may be of interest that when PDCC is optioned, the electric hydraulic pump is replaced by an engine driven hydraulic pump similar to previous models since additional pump power is required to control the roll bars. Personally, I am convinced the lack of steering displacement by small road deviations in the 991 vs previous 911 models is a function of the additional welcome isolation of the chassis, reducing unwanted tire and wind noise and unwanted deviation from driver inputs. To reduce laptimes on racetrack, and to smooth the ride in traffic by relaxing rollbar stiffness, PDCC is highly desirable. I find the steering excellent on both systems and PDCC a very welcome addition.
Really? Please provide a link to the technical details about the replacement of the electronic steering gear.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Loving the tech discussion. So much more interesting than which color deviated stitching is the highest fashion at the moment...
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CRUSTY! OK.

I won't bother to deny it. Too many members have met me.

Gary
Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Really? Please provide a link to the technical details about the replacement of the electronic steering gear.
+1!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
For those that believe that the "Electric Steering" diminishes useful steering feedback as suggested by several reviewers, it may be of interest that when PDCC is optioned, the electric hydraulic pump is replaced by an engine driven hydraulic pump similar to previous models since additional pump power is required to control the roll bars.
It's true that a seperate hydraulic pump/system is required for PDCC. For the steering, however, there is no "electric hydraulic pump"; there's an electric motor which is integral with the steering rack that provides assist. (Contrary to what some have asserted the "electric" steering is not drive by wire, there is a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.) Cars equipped with PDCC have the same electric steering assist as those without PDCC.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's true that a seperate hydraulic pump/system is required for PDCC. For the steering, however, there is no "electric hydraulic pump"; there's an electric motor which is integral with the steering rack that provides assist. (Contrary to what some have asserted the "electric" steering is not drive by wire, there is a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.) Cars equipped with PDCC have the same electric steering assist as those without PDCC.
You may have averted a discussion of the advantages of hydraulic alternators.

Quick Reply: PDCC: yes or no?