991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011 | 12:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I have driven 4,000-5,000lb Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes with this technology, and while the initial impression is of 'good handling for such a large vehicle', the masking of body roll in a large vehicle gives the driver a false sense of security by eliminating a significant amount of communication from the vehicle.

Because the 991 is a significantly lighter vehicle to start with, I expect that the technology is used more like PASM; as a way of preserving the excellent handling of a stiffly sprung car, but providing a better ride in the process. In addition to being more comfortable, a more compliant suspension will also provide better grip on rough surfaces, which is why the 991 is able to post a Nurburgring time close to that of a 997GT3.

That said, I prefer analog to digital. I would rather know exactly what the suspension is doing, even if it means a stiffer ride, and less grip on rough surfaces.
Old 01-13-2012 | 05:57 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Yes. I have spent considerable time in PDCC 991. A must have.
Old 12-29-2012 | 12:48 AM
Hotmetal
Track Day

Yes for the PDCC.
Old 12-29-2012 | 09:42 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Most of the criticism of PDCC here is speculation on the part of people who don't have it - or a 991. It echoes discussions that appeared when Porsche moved on from air cooled engines, and what the speculation posits has been disproven in the used car marketplace. My unfounded speculation is that of all the technology that makes the 991 so superior to its predecessors on the road and track, PDCC may be the least likely to have technical problems.

I don't think economic rationality apples to having a Porsche. It may be an excuse for some Porsche enthusiasts, but I have so many that ROI seems laughable. So I speculate it will appeal in the broader marketplace of buyers of used 911 sports cars down the medium run road, which will have a totally different demographic than today's. The actual marketplace made up of purist hobbyists is tiny by comparison. As for the cost of repairs down the road, go price a competent rebuild of a simple 356 motor. It will be about twice the cost of the car when it was new.

But should you get it? Get Sport PASM instead. Amidst the far superior performance of 991s compared to earlier cars, it provides great feel (super controlled just perceptible roll recovery) and looks (lower fuller wheel wells). Mine reminds me of the track optimized 911SC with a much upgraded suspension that I built, but feels great and performs far better without the compromises.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 12-29-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2012 | 11:52 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

I keep following Chuck through the forum today...LOL

But I agree completely. When I was looking for a car for the street, I wanted the newest technology not the oldest. I didn't grow up driving 944's or turbos from an age gone by. I have an I MAC computer and an Ipad not an abacus, I have a flat screen tv not a cathode ray tv, and my house has an electronic thermostat, so I don't go out to cut wood for the fireplace to keep warm. None of these are essential but make together make my life so much easier and modern.

Long story short, the new 911 is exactly that, NEW. Those add ons are not "gadgets" they make the product better. If you don't think you need it then don't get it. If you lament the past get a 993,996,997. Don't worry about resale, it is what it is and you cannot control or predict the value of your car in the future. Drive it now with what you like and what you need it for. I would tick every option that makes my drive better and that would include PDCC.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2012 | 12:41 PM
rpilot
Pro

Old 12-29-2012 | 02:23 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Everyone is out chopping wood right now because it is cold
Old 12-29-2012 | 03:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

I think the answer will come when the specs for the new GT3 are announced. If PDCC is standard on the GT3 that will speak volumes. If it is not, that will also give you your answer.

More waiting. . .
Old 12-29-2012 | 05:19 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot

Gary
Old 12-29-2012 | 05:20 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Most of the criticism of PDCC here is speculation on the part of people who don't have it - or a 991. It echoes discussions that appeared when Porsche moved on from air cooled engines, and what the speculation posits has been disproven in the used car marketplace. My unfounded speculation is that of all the technology that makes the 991 so superior to its predecessors on the road and track, PDCC may be the least likely to have technical problems.

I don't think economic rationality apples to having a Porsche. It may be an excuse for some Porsche enthusiasts, but I have so many that ROI seems laughable. So I speculate it will appeal in the broader marketplace of buyers of used 911 sports cars down the medium run road, which will have a totally different demographic than today's. The actual marketplace made up of purist hobbyists is tiny by comparison. As for the cost of repairs down the road, go price a competent rebuild of a simple 356 motor. It will be about twice the cost of the car when it was new.

But should you get it? Get Sport PASM instead. Amidst the far superior performance of 991s compared to earlier cars, it provides great feel (super controlled just perceptible roll recovery) and looks (lower fuller wheel wells). Mine reminds me of the track optimized 911SC with a much upgraded suspension that I built, but feels great and performs far better without the compromises.
Chuck, don't you have PDCC on your car?

chuck911, afraid even to look at the break-in thread....
Old 12-29-2012 | 06:03 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holli82
Everyone is out chopping wood right now because it is cold
Funny, but I had to go chop some wood today. If felt like 100ft of snow fell here in the last 3 days, and the tree in my neighbour's yard split in half and fell. So I had to resort to the old ways...

Enjoyed it but turned up the thermostat when I got back in the house .
Old 12-29-2012 | 06:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I think the answer will come when the specs for the new GT3 are announced. If PDCC is standard on the GT3 that will speak volumes. If it is not, that will also give you your answer.

More waiting. . .
I agree, that will give us another data point. Love PDCC on my Cayenne, don't know if I'd "need" it on a Carrera or GT3. On the list for a 991 GT3 and leaning strongly toward "no PDCC" if it's optional, but not shutting any doors completely.

And yeah, more waiting.....
Old 12-29-2012 | 06:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuck911
Chuck, don't you have PDCC on your car?

chuck911, afraid even to look at the break-in thread....
Nope.
Old 12-29-2012 | 06:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by RayDBonz

More waiting. . .
Walter Rohl already gave an answer: PDCC gave him something like 7 seconds compared to no PDCC around the 'Ring. Given Porsche marketing and salivating customers, the next GT3 may be lucky to come with wheels standard.
Old 12-29-2012 | 06:52 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Yes on pdcc.

Quick Reply: PDCC: yes or no?