Sponsored by:

PDCC: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. Well put Cogito.

PDCC certainly provides the best of both worlds. It virtually eliminates roll during spirited driving or on track yet provides a very comfortable and compliant ride for daily driving in "limo mode".

I have PASM plus PDCC. SPASM plus PDCC provides a significantly firmer ride for daily driving plus the lower stance which some will prefer. It is a matter of speculation what the difference in performance is between a PASM PDCC car and a SPASM no PDCC car. For most of us other than very experienced track orientated drivers I suspect very little!

I have driven C2s with and without PDCC and the improvement in comfort in daily driving is very significant. Obviously the feel of the car boils down to personal preference but if ordering again I would definitely specify PDCC for this reason if nothing else.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNi
+1. Well put Cogito.

PDCC certainly provides the best of both worlds. It virtually eliminates roll during spirited driving or on track yet provides a very comfortable and compliant ride for daily driving in "limo mode".

I have PASM plus PDCC. SPASM plus PDCC provides a significantly firmer ride for daily driving plus the lower stance which some will prefer. It is a matter of speculation what the difference in performance is between a PASM PDCC car and a SPASM no PDCC car. For most of us other than very experienced track orientated drivers I suspect very little!

I have driven C2s with and without PDCC and the improvement in comfort in daily driving is very significant. Obviously the feel of the car boils down to personal preference but if ordering again I would definitely specify PDCC for this reason if nothing else.
Thanks. This is something I didn't look at closely enough when I bought. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten it. I think it would especially be great for autocross, not to mention the benefit you get in ride quality, as you pointed out.

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 04-29-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does the PDCC system use pentosin???
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDCC is standard on the new Turbo S - what does that tell you?!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

That it isn't on the GT3?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

It tells you Porsche is really good at understanding its various customer segments. Turbo buyers, in general, are not wannabe racers that will tolerate a car that scrapes the front-end and bounces over every bump in the road. They want a prestige car that goes like stink, especially in a straight line, looks good, and gets them them there comfortably. PDCC helps aid this mission.

Originally Posted by fbroen
That it isn't on the GT3?
Preuninger said since the GT3 already had stiff springs and a big anti-roll bar it wasn't necessary. GT3 buyers will tolerate a filling loosening ride because of the handling advantage trade-off and is part of the "I'm driving a racecar for the street " experience. I think the truth is he knew he was already forcing a lot of new tech on the GT3 demo and that might have been the bridge too far.

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 05-11-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ah, I told you so a few months ago! God I love saying I told you so.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I think the truth is he knew he was already forcing a lot of new tech on the GT3 demo and that might have been the bridge too far.
The rear wheel steering is what I find weird in this context. Not doubting that it works, or that the 911 suspension has in fact passively been doing this since forever. But personally I am less technophobic about my varying rollbar actuators than I would be with RWS (right or wrong). Not to join the anti-modernization chorus, but the GT3 is an odd place to introduce this on IMO. On the Turbos, yes.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by fbroen
The rear wheel steering is what I find weird in this context. Not doubting that it works, or that the 911 suspension has in fact passively been doing this since forever. But personally I am less technophobic about my varying rollbar actuators than I would be with RWS (right or wrong). Not to join the anti-modernization chorus, but the GT3 is an odd place to introduce this on IMO. On the Turbos, yes.
Good point. That was a headscratcher for me, too.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread, but is PDCC always active? In other words, does it have a on/off button?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread, but is PDCC always active? In other words, does it have a on/off button?
It is always active, there is no switchable option.

I have Sport PASM with PDCC, PDK, and mostly drive in manual, Sport Plus mode and tires at comfort level, which is the same as minimum load.

Very comfortable over bumps but flat as a pancake when pushing hard.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BradB
No.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks guys. I didn't think so, but I was curious because several times in Porsche literature they've shown a generic photo of the buttons on the console when discussing PDCC. I keep thinking "What am I not seeing here?" I guess they just wanted a picture of 'something'.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

That concludes this...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PDCC: yes or no?