Sponsored by:

Experience with Cobb tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 02:46 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Surprised there is so much skepticism about ProTunes in this forum. I can see how it may be seen as excessive for a mildly modded car, but there is no substitute for a bespoke tune file created just for you and your specific vehicle with your particular mods and your density altitude running your local fuel etc etc. You’re never going to get better results with an off the shelf tune file intended for broadly based conditions and mods to suit a large customer base by using the same tune file for everyone. I tried the OTS route first! But the custom ProTune was a game changer and the only legitimate way to match performance with longevity. The Cobb is just a conduit. It’s a tool to collect all the data (there are many others) and load the new files. The value add from the tuner comes from interpreting the data to create an adjusted file that really works just for you. For myself, I datalog on the street or the track since that’s where the car is driven.
And this is what I was talking about, just better stated. Porsche does spend millions/billions developing its engines and tunes. However, Porsche’s tune is a VERY conservative OTS tune designed to accommodate a multiplicity of fuels and atmospheric conditions across the country. A fully custom tune, performed by a tuner who knows what they are doing, can safely extract additional HP/torque from this turbo charged platform without negatively impacting engine health and longevity. The custom tune moves you closer to the line, but the tune is based upon your mods, local conditions, and local fuel. By considering those factors (something Porsche cannot do) one can safely increase boost and remain well within the margin of safety. But, hey, to each his own. Some people want to mod and others don’t. Neither approach is bad.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:42 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm in PA and am looking to get a ProTune done (2017 991.2 base).
I reached out to a local dealer for Cobb and they asked me what modifications I have and if they are EPA approved. My sport cats are not EPA approved.

What are my options?
I have the following mods:
Tial IC
Tial Inlet pipes
Tial intake
BMC air filter
Soul sport headers
Soul sport cats
Porsche third radiator
Old 07-28-2022, 03:54 PM
911f
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rugu6869
I'm in PA and am looking to get a ProTune done (2017 991.2 base).
I reached out to a local dealer for Cobb and they asked me what modifications I have and if they are EPA approved. My sport cats are not EPA approved.

What are my options?
I have the following mods:
Tial IC
Tial Inlet pipes
Tial intake
BMC air filter
Soul sport headers
Soul sport cats
Porsche third radiator
Call protomotive (Todd) he got a good tune for your base with your mode with cobb
Old 07-28-2022, 04:16 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

Quick question: Do the normal, sport and sport+ (sport chrono) modes continue to work with a Cobb tune as they do in a non-tuned car?
Old 07-28-2022, 04:25 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mhconley
Quick question: Do the normal, sport and sport+ (sport chrono) modes continue to work with a Cobb tune as they do in a non-tuned car?
Yes
The following users liked this post:
mhconley (07-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:22 PM
Lee Rambler
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

for anyone concerned about how much data there is, and what the tuners have to work with.... google the Cobb accesstuner tuning guide - be prepared to spend a couple hours reading and being impressed. There is ALOT in the ecu and there is alot to understand about it. Gone are the days of the old 4g63's, volvo t5's, 944 turbos etc that you could just trick a few sensors.

it's pretty obvious cobb putt alot of work into this, and gives alot of control to the protuners.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:21 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I have been considering purchasing one of your tunes for my 2017 991.2 base Carrera. But, as I live in the Denver area, I am wondering how well such a tune will work at my high altitude. Obviously, the pressure ratios will be shifted by the thin air.

Anyone have any experience with a Cobb tune at high altitude? I live in the Denver area and my car spends its life between 5000 and 10,000 feet of altitude. That radically alters the operating pressure ratio of the turbochargers.

For example, my base 991.2 develops a stock boost of 13.1 psi--at sea level. If the ECU compensates for our thinner air in Denver--12.2 vs. 14.7 psi--that already increases the peak power pressure ration from 1.89 to 2.28. If the ECU maintains power at 10,000 feet--not uncommon as the great local mountain roads are all at higher altitude than Denver--the pressure ratio rises to 2.87. That's a lot higher than the seal level ratio of 1.89.

All of these numbers get worse with the higher boost employed when running a tune to increase power through higher boost pressure. With a power increase of about 50 hp, this pressure ratio becomes more like 3.1 at 10,000 feet.

I doubt that such high pressure ratios sit on a reasonable part of the compressor map of the stock turbos on a 991.2 base Carrera. And this is a hardware problem that can't be solved by software. Does anyone have any experience with the Cobb tune under such conditions?
Old 01-28-2023, 01:07 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I have been considering purchasing one of your tunes for my 2017 991.2 base Carrera. But, as I live in the Denver area, I am wondering how well such a tune will work at my high altitude. Obviously, the pressure ratios will be shifted by the thin air.

Anyone have any experience with a Cobb tune at high altitude? I live in the Denver area and my car spends its life between 5000 and 10,000 feet of altitude. That radically alters the operating pressure ratio of the turbochargers.

For example, my base 991.2 develops a stock boost of 13.1 psi--at sea level. If the ECU compensates for our thinner air in Denver--12.2 vs. 14.7 psi--that already increases the peak power pressure ration from 1.89 to 2.28. If the ECU maintains power at 10,000 feet--not uncommon as the great local mountain roads are all at higher altitude than Denver--the pressure ratio rises to 2.87. That's a lot higher than the seal level ratio of 1.89.

All of these numbers get worse with the higher boost employed when running a tune to increase power through higher boost pressure. With a power increase of about 50 hp, this pressure ratio becomes more like 3.1 at 10,000 feet.

I doubt that such high pressure ratios sit on a reasonable part of the compressor map of the stock turbos on a 991.2 base Carrera. And this is a hardware problem that can't be solved by software. Does anyone have any experience with the Cobb tune under such conditions?
Most of these big tuners are involved with race teams that compete at Pikes Peak; Porsche dominates. The endurance required for a hill climb is different than what is expected for a street car, but the experience tuning and developing engines to compete in those events is still relevant to your concerns. I would call them directly to discuss, but please report back what you find out.

Quick Reply: Experience with Cobb tuning?