Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Cobb tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 04:07 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

While everyone is bickering about APR vs Cobb, I'll just stir the pot a little more and add one more plug for Softronic. From what I understand, he's got some 30 years or so experience tuning Porsche race cars. Can't say whether or not his is the best tune out there but I trust it with my car which also under Fidelity warranty like yours. I have no dyno results but they claim ~ 100 HP increase over OEM and I can tell you first hand it's magnificent. It was an easy DIY in the comfort of my own garage and easily reversible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
GT3FZS (07-28-2022), The Ox (07-09-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 224 Posts

The crappiest thing about MyGenius is that it doesn't allow you to datalog (at least that's my understanding). If I keep my 911 stock (ie. no I,H,E) then I would likely lean towards getting a Softronic tune as well, since I'm not in for max power; I like the idea that I can reflash back to stock if I wanted to.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:08 AM
911f
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I prefer tuning in real world condition at the track 3rd gear pull with the real air flow etc.. then send the log to my protuner i think this is more accurate tuning then remote dyno tuning imo
Old 07-06-2022, 10:42 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 569 Posts

This whole secret sauce tune thing is such a joke. There are tables and limits that can be adjusted, its run on math. I think its pretty well known by now what tables do what and what the limits are. Yes mods to cars will allow for different variations and doing dyno runs will allow for you to get to the highest limits. That being said Limits are exactly that and bumping them on the reg is never a good thing long term.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:57 PM
nomad13
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

subscribed
Old 07-06-2022, 05:31 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I know some people don't like to hear this, but Porsche (and any car company) invests hundreds of millions or even billions in each new engine and trans. They perform a lot of simulations and tests and have extensive resources. I'm sure the folks at Cobb are great, but it is a small shop and *personally* I would not take the chance of trusting a small shop with minimal resources to crank up the boost for more power - especially without replacing pistons, connecting rods, etc. My friend just did this with his 335i through Dinan (very reputable) and his engine now needs a rebuild (smokes and consumes a ton of oil). You will likely get lucky, but you may not.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:48 PM
nomad13
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lippy
I know some people don't like to hear this, but Porsche (and any car company) invests hundreds of millions or even billions in each new engine and trans. They perform a lot of simulations and tests and have extensive resources. I'm sure the folks at Cobb are great, but it is a small shop and *personally* I would not take the chance of trusting a small shop with minimal resources to crank up the boost for more power - especially without replacing pistons, connecting rods, etc. My friend just did this with his 335i through Dinan (very reputable) and his engine now needs a rebuild (smokes and consumes a ton of oil). You will likely get lucky, but you may not.
We are all in the tune camp in this thread I’m pretty sure. It’s a risk. I can’t risk staying stock.
The following 3 users liked this post by nomad13:
GT3FZS (07-28-2022), Lippy (07-06-2022), The Ox (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:40 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by desking101
Dyno tuning is ultimately the best way, as long as it's on a load bearing dyno. Whether it's a custom in person dyno tune or a remote tune. I've usually had either dyno tunes or street tunes in the past with my other cars, but softronic will be fine for me this time. I see it as a good in-between
You can also find a quiet street in an industrial zone and do street pulls while data logging. This is actually even more accurate than dyno time, at least some protuners seem to think so, because the intake temps are real as is the air flow. A lot of protuners do it this way rather than slapping your car on a dyno. I'm not saying that a dyno tune is bad, just saying there is more than one way to custom tune.

I think for what 4point0 has been chasing, a dyno was probably the best way to tune. For others, data logging on the street and then tuning off of that can work well also. Especially if your tuner lives in the area where you primarily drive your car. Similar/same atmospherics.
The following users liked this post:
Pb Pedis (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 08:16 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

You are 100% correct. That being said I think theres enough info for even the most basic learned to raise the boost levels some and not test the limits. Its the people that are trying to squeeze every little bit out of these tunes that are going to blow **** up. Im happy just getting an extra 50 to 70 Hp with minimal risk.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (07-28-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 PM
sy1616
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I hate tuning questions because everyone is an expert and knows so much. Reminds of a Dinan poll on another forum.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:54 PM
911f
Advanced

Originally Posted by sy1616
I hate tuning questions because everyone is an expert and knows so much. Reminds of a Dinan poll on another forum.
99.9% of guy's here are expert in staying stock and they beleive stock is safer ! Of corse its safer cuz you put less stress on the crank,rods,and piston! Some guy's like me push the car to the limit and i assume it...im à freak in tuning btw im far from an expert but i always liked faster ! Like porsche created gt2rs and concept to go always faster ! That is porsche ADN so bla bla bla to each they own thinking about tuning and mods ...

Last edited by 911f; 07-06-2022 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:13 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

For what it’s worth, when I worked at Ford, budget for development of a new generation of chassis/car/platform was around $1B give or take based on how much “new” is required. Crash safety took up 1/4 - 1/3 and the rest was split between chassis/drivetrain/body exterior/interior, again it is split based on which requires more “new”. This is why engines are sometimes reused going into a new “generation” which gets a lot of new body/interior updates, and then those engine updates are done during the mid-cycle refresh. I don’t know Porsche total budget but their approach to budget breakdown is probably similar, and I’d guess engines by themselves are probably around $100M give or take.

Also, Steve Dinan sold his company with his name a while back. Not sure if Dinan the company has the same reputation of quality as they did when Steve owned it. His new tuning company is https://carbahn.com, and he seems more focused on MB V8 turbo engines these days, but he still does BMW and others as well.

Last edited by MingusDew; 07-06-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:26 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Well I admit I dont know **** as Im an Entomologist just that there are specific tables and limits that are known and addressed by many of the "tuners" so the whole secret sauce thing is the most annoying part of this discussion. I forgot which one I spoke to but once I started asking specific questions as to why his approach was different he started doing the run around and suddenly I found us off topic talking about ECUs from a different car.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:35 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Surprised there is so much skepticism about ProTunes in this forum. I can see how it may be seen as excessive for a mildly modded car, but there is no substitute for a bespoke tune file created just for you and your specific vehicle with your particular mods and your density altitude running your local fuel etc etc. You’re never going to get better results with an off the shelf tune file intended for broadly based conditions and mods to suit a large customer base by using the same tune file for everyone. I tried the OTS route first! But the custom ProTune was a game changer and the only legitimate way to match performance with longevity. The Cobb is just a conduit. It’s a tool to collect all the data (there are many others) and load the new files. The value add from the tuner comes from interpreting the data to create an adjusted file that really works just for you. For myself, I datalog on the street or the track since that’s where the car is driven.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:23 AM
911f
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Surprised there is so much skepticism about ProTunes in this forum. I can see how it may be seen as excessive for a mildly modded car, but there is no substitute for a bespoke tune file created just for you and your specific vehicle with your particular mods and your density altitude running your local fuel etc etc. You’re never going to get better results with an off the shelf tune file intended for broadly based conditions and mods to suit a large customer base by using the same tune file for everyone. I tried the OTS route first! But the custom ProTune was a game changer and the only legitimate way to match performance with longevity. The Cobb is just a conduit. It’s a tool to collect all the data (there are many others) and load the new files. The value add from the tuner comes from interpreting the data to create an adjusted file that really works just for you. For myself, I datalog on the street or the track since that’s where the car is driven.
Very well said ! There's lots of hater's here for tuning in this 991.2 carrera platform ...i found that the Turbo forum is alot more friendly for tuning and sharring performance time there...

Quick Reply: Experience with Cobb tuning?