Sponsored by:

Car values dropping

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 12:06 AM
TangoUniform
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
Yeah? Well I keep in contact with two dealerships because I plan on ordering another 992 soon. Both dealerships had record sales days yesterday. So theres that. Oh and my son works at the BMW dealership in Tampa. He’s the kid that greets you when you pull up to the service department. He said they had a record sales day yesterday also. Of course this doesn’t mean prices aren’t going to drop. But I really don’t think that’s going to happen significantly until supply catches up with demand and that hasn’t happened yet. Granted the economy completely collapsing around us will help with prices but I’m not so sure that will help with prices and luxury cars like Porsche. Time will tail.
Yeah? Well I can't speak on new cars as I have no contacts at dealerships, but I can say with 100% certainty that USED 991.2s and 992s are coming down in price. Go to cars.com, CarGurus, or AutoTrader and see for yourself. You'll see several "price drop" icons in your search. Auctions on Ebay are ending with 0 bids. The USED 991.2 and 992 market is starting to come down.
The following 2 users liked this post by TangoUniform:
Freddie Two Bs (06-18-2022), PorscheC2S (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 04:32 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
aren't they just displacing sales volume and related profits with increased profit margin on fewer vehicles? Maybe the volume is the same ( people are still ordering the cars and with the perceived shortage due to timing of delivery they are paying full + price) so its just the dealer's (cash) profits are deferred until the cars are delivered. So, for accounting (on paper) purposes, they are "crushing it".

yes....much bigger profits per vehicle on fewer units. ordered unit are looked at as icing on the cake. they are not counted or even considered until delivered. the cake itself is selling/delivering a car *this* month. many "reg" new cars are available. the hotter models are the ones in short supply. "available" includes cars on the lot and inbound inventory or stock units vs ordered units that are months out. inbound stock units flow in all month long and the goal is to have a buyer ready to pick it up as soon as it lands. zero time spent in inventory and on the books is a huge plus to every dealership. lots of people are willing to compromise a custom build spec *somewhat* if it means getting the car in days/weeks or next month (inbound) vs ordering and waiting 4-6 months minimum if not much longer. maybe the compromise unit has a few options that weren't needed? or missing an option that was wanted??. maybe it's the 2nd or 3rd favorite color combo? some people will be flexible with certain things to get the car much sooner.

volume on new may be down (-x%) but profits per vehicle retailed is way up (x+20%). cars that might have been discounted many thousands are fetching full price or close. cars that were selling near msrp are now getting msrp plus 10% or more. at the end of the month, they're making more money selling/delivering fewer cars. not an accounting trick or on paper only. ordered units at full price or more are liked/appreciated but never counted or commissioned =)

new and used markets are obviously related and intertwined but lots of difference's still exist. not really hand and hand. think you'd be surprised how many people won't consider used cars. even more so in the luxury segment. lots of reasons why. from new tech options to small cosmetic refreshes/restyles. used may be an good alternative for some people but lots of folks will only buy new.

911's are unique/niche in many ways. they can do their own thing in the marketplace for some period of time but the can't defy the marketplace forever. i'm seeing stabilization (not substantive/consistent decreases yet). lots of units hitting 30+ days in inventory. once they start hitting the 45-60 day mark, used car managers start sweating. many dealerships have a cutoff at 45-60 days that requires the unit be wholesaled and/or sent to the auction. this is usually where the big used car loses take place and is something used car managers do there best to avoid.

my bottom line....thinking we peaked and the long/slow crawl back down should be starting soon. just my opinion from what i know, hear and am seeing

The following 2 users liked this post by Levy:
Oileater (06-12-2022), Sporty (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 07:24 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoUniform
Yeah? Well I can't speak on new cars as I have no contacts at dealerships, but I can say with 100% certainty that USED 991.2s and 992s are coming down in price. Go to cars.com, CarGurus, or AutoTrader and see for yourself. You'll see several "price drop" icons in your search. Auctions on Ebay are ending with 0 bids. The USED 991.2 and 992 market is starting to come down.
Well there is one way to find out bro. Start making some phone calls and make offers to dealerships that have these cars and see. I’ll do it myself today. I’m off today so I’ll make some phone calls.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts

Sell Sell Sell!! or

Drive drive drive!!
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 09:45 AM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

With the pending recession just around the corner, it's inevitable that sales will slow. As mentioned before, I too am seeing on various sights where prices are coming down not just on Porsche's but most all cars. EBay is a good barometer for a quick reference and you're seeing allot of them not selling for the "buy it now" price or even hitting the reserve price. I think the bloom is off the rose on a lot of items! You can find 996's for $15000 on FB market place. As gas creeps over the $5/gallon (regular) nation wide everything will slow to a crawl! Even the rich (back in 2008) learned that $2 buck chuck from Trader Joes wasn't so bad after all! The only exception this time is the recovery will be longer and deeper and will touch everything!
Old 06-06-2022, 10:50 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

One of the core reasons I bought my new to me (Dec21), overpriced 2015 991.1, was that I wanted a piece of history - an interesting, near the peak historical anachronism that makes cool internal combustion sounds.

And, I wanted a faster replacement for our 2010 Saab Aero Vert.

IMO we are all witnesses to the next revolution - and, the past transition to smaller, exhaust turbocharged engines. Most would postulate the next 10 years will see many ICE cars completing the change to electric.

Question is, will ICE engined cars like ours continue as interesting anachronisms to the next gens, or become less interesting reminders of the past?

Last edited by RennListUser01; 06-06-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:54 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheC2S
With the pending recession just around the corner, it's inevitable that sales will slow. As mentioned before, I too am seeing on various sights where prices are coming down not just on Porsche's but most all cars. EBay is a good barometer for a quick reference and you're seeing allot of them not selling for the "buy it now" price or even hitting the reserve price. I think the bloom is off the rose on a lot of items! You can find 996's for $15000 on FB market place. As gas creeps over the $5/gallon (regular) nation wide everything will slow to a crawl! Even the rich (back in 2008) learned that $2 buck chuck from Trader Joes wasn't so bad after all! The only exception this time is the recovery will be longer and deeper and will touch everything!
good grief man. I’m pretty negative on the economy and it’s definitely slowing down but you are comparing it 2008? 2008 was the worst recession/depression we’ve had in our country‘s history since the 1930s. 2008 did touch everything. Absolutely everything throughout the entire world. It was catastrophic. If you think this time is going to be worse than back then we all should probably get rid of our cars and hunker down. Yikes brother.
The Ox (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 11:20 AM
PorscheC2S
Racer

good grief man. I’m pretty negative on the economy and it’s definitely slowing down but you are comparing it 2008? 2008 was the worst recession/depression we’ve had in our country‘s history since the 1930s. 2008 did touch everything. Absolutely everything throughout the entire world. It was catastrophic. If you think this time is going to be worse than back then we all should probably get rid of our cars and hunker down. Yikes brother.

LOL, sorry but yeah I'm a Debby Downer on this one. I try to look at things with the glass half full approach but just not getting a good feeling about this one though! I HOPE I'm totally wrong and would gladly eat my words but all indications are pointing to an ugly 2022/23.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:25 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

LOL, sorry but yeah I'm a Debby Downer on this one. I try to look at things with the glass half full approach but just not getting a good feeling about this one though! I HOPE I'm totally wrong and would gladly eat my words but all indications are pointing to an ugly 2022/23.
Brother you’re not being a Debbie downer at all. You are saying this is going to be worse than 2008. That would be a worldwide global collapse of the economy that has never been seen by anyone currently alive. It would be impossible to calculate what unemployment would be like and the ripple effects that would devastate the middle class especially the lower middle class. I realize there are some stupid decisions being made by leadership but hopefully that can all change in a year or two. I just don’t see it being 2008. I pray not. Otherwise we have a hell of a lot more to worry about than a stupid Porsche.
PorscheC2S (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 11:35 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

This statement is wrong, we barely felt it in Israel.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:43 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera991
Yeah OK. It’s probably best we keep that you’re a little secret
Old 06-06-2022, 11:43 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera991
Agree, 2008 was bad but it wasn’t that bad. Scary though and could have been catastrophic, but it wasn’t because the world’s financial levers bailed everyone out and stabilized the economies. I’ll confess that I believe by Fall, that we’ll be facing the same exact playbook as 2008, but this time it’s going to not just housing, it’s going to be everything between crypto to student loans. And those levers that were used in 2008 won’t be as powerful this round. We are all out of ammunition.
PorscheC2S (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 12:10 PM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Agree, 2008 was bad but it wasn’t that bad. Scary though and could have been catastrophic, but it wasn’t because the world’s financial levers bailed everyone out and stabilized the economies. I’ll confess that I believe by Fall, that we’ll be facing the same exact playbook as 2008, but this time it’s going to not just housing, it’s going to be everything between crypto to student loans. And those levers that were used in 2008 won’t be as powerful this round. We are all out of ammunition.

Agreed and that's where I was coming from with my previous post(s), it's more then just one or two things this time around. But all in all we agree it's just the varying levels of the impact and how it will be felt. Let's put an end to this post and just discuss cars! I'm done!
Sarawnty (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 05:32 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,202 Likes on 607 Posts

Agreed and that's where I was coming from with my previous post(s), it's more then just one or two things this time around. But all in all we agree it's just the varying levels of the impact and how it will be felt. Let's put an end to this post and just discuss cars! I'm done!
I’m sure in 5 years someone will for their first post revive this thread with an affirmative: “yup”
PorscheC2S (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 07:04 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
I’m sure in 5 years someone will for their first post revive this thread with an affirmative: “yup”
Followed by “is this car still for sale”?
PorscheC2S (06-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Car values dropping