Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car values dropping

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 10:48 AM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

manual + anything desirable isn't going down in value unless you put an unusual amount of wear or mods on it

manual + an upper end non-turbo motor (gts, gt3), forget about it, seller decides price and it will sell. to this day i'm thankful the guy i bought my car from accepted my full price offer versus walking it back and turning it into a bidding affair as others started calling him.

Last edited by Rudyr; 05-29-2022 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

I did an Autotrader search yesterday:

Condition: Used
Zip/Radius: Nationwide
Year: 2017 - 2019 Porsche 991.2
Trim: Carrera S
Trasmission: Automatic (PDK)
Certified: CPO

Results: 35

Also, for the same criteria above but with a manual there are only 6!

So you can choose from only 35 used C2S PDK CPO or 6 manual Porsche’s for sale in the entire United States of America.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 05-29-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Oileater (06-16-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 02:12 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TimYH
EDITED (reposted the same Youtube video)

I'm a fan of this guy's analysis although I'm always curious where he gets his data from since a part of me wants to review it myself.

Myself and a lot of my peers are in the tech world who live off RSUs. We've enjoyed wonderful gains the past few years that are probably going to be gone for a while. A lot of folks had RSU packages that were equal to or double their base salaries. When they matured, it was a boatload of money to put towards big purchases. A couple friends scooped up second houses to rent/hold as assets. But just in the past few weeks people's RSU packages have taken a big hit. In the past companies would do a "true up" where they hand everybody more shares to makeup for the loss in the market (mostly to remain competitive). I'm wondering if that trend continues throughout the next economic phase. Luckily for me I'm now in startup land with really high base salaries to make up for the shares that are essentially worthless in the near term.
The RSUs we get/got this year will be undervalued compared to the ones in the last few years. So the other way to look at this is that right now is where we make good RSU money for the future. Depending on our individual timelines.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:39 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

There is a slight downward shift in regards to utilitarian vehicles, unfortunately at best I see a leveling of the market for some sought after cars. The sky is the limit for rare/specialty cars, I do not see that leveling out for a bit.

I think this market has been a big detriment to the true enthusiast side of Porsche.

Its turned me off quite a bit, the bang for the buck has ceased. Lots of options for cars in the 80-120K neighborhood.

I cant believe what some of these cars sell for in the marketplace section here. But maybe that's just me.

Still on the prowl for another Base 991.2 and still trying to order a base 992. Im out of the game after I have a 2nd 911.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:19 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

I also think the momentum around green initiatives and the very obvious agenda to wean us off fossil fuels at all costs is and will play the biggest factor in the Porsche market. It’s pretty obvious the agenda is going to happen and quickly. Admin has no plans to reduce the cost of oil. It’s a played hand and the transition is happening like it or not.

On a side note the 992 is not a 911 IMO. It’s a Volkswagen product head to toe that emulates a 911. And the next gen will be even worse. I’ve tried to like the 992 but each time I sit in one I can’t help but to dislike more and more. You can hardly even see the front wings (wing) from a seating position. It’s also enormous in size and the interior design is downright awful and makes zero sense. The car is a fail and it shows in the numbers regardless of inventory woes.

Why I point this out is that the 991.1, 991.2, 997.1 and 997.2s, will always hold a higher premium over the 992 VW, and at some point increase wildly. And this isn’t 10-years from now. This will happen over the next 2 to 3 years.

These previous generations are the last of a true Porsche product, imagined, designed and engineered. Although they did have some VW oversight, they are pure and true to the Porsche heritage and legacy. The 992 is a VW imagined, designed and engineered product. Period. It’s an glorified VW GTI. It will never be sought after. It is a fail.

So regardless of trends, climate, demand, supply, war, admin, etc., etc., the previous generation 911s, will continue to be the most sought after and desirable. That is good examples, unmolested specimens. Not abused track examples, poorly modded, DYI hidden mistakes and hacks, and just poorly maintained garbage heaps you continue to read on RL and can only see shake your head at.

And this isn’t going to change because the US and EU aren’t changing this agenda anytime soon and things will never ever go back to what they used to be. So the cars that are going to be desired are already a part of that trend and will continue to do so. It’s priced in.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 05-29-2022 at 03:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Laszlo_Laz:
Bud Taylor (05-31-2022), IndigoInkTaco (05-30-2022), KaizerWilhelm (05-31-2022), mc3456 (05-30-2022), zap city (05-30-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 03:29 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

@Laszlo_Laz - the umbilical cord with VW is about to be severed with the pending spinoff of Porsche to it’s own company. It has been planned to happen prior to the end of of the year, but according to the last Pano may be delayed due to production issues related to the war in Ukraine.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:26 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts
Default Hmmm…

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
..On a side note the 992 is not a 911 IMO. It’s a Volkswagen product head to toe that emulates a 911…Why I point this out is that the 991.1, 991.2, 997.1 and 997.2s, will always hold a higher premium over the 992 VW, and at some point increase wildly. And this isn’t 10-years from now. This will happen over the next 2 to 3 years…These previous generations are the last of a true Porsche product, imagined, designed and engineered. Although they did have some VW oversight, they are pure and true to the Porsche heritage and legacy. The 992 is a VW imagined, designed and engineered product. Period. It’s an glorified VW GTI. It will never be sought after. It is a fail.?.
I say a lot of bad things about the 992, so I get where you’re coming from. But, the market is full of both purists and high disposable income buyers that don’t care about heritage - they care about impressing the neighbors. That 2nd group will keep 992 prices the highest for years to come. Plus, I can’t argue about the 992 TTS performance metrics. When the hybrid 992 debuts, people like me will grouse even more about how Porsche has lost its way, but the world marches on and people like me will just have to get the F over it.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:05 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Originally Posted by shammerman
@Laszlo_Laz - the umbilical cord with VW is about to be severed with the pending spinoff of Porsche to it’s own company. It has been planned to happen prior to the end of of the year, but according to the last Pano may be delayed due to production issues related to the war in Ukraine.
I pray this happens. It’s the only chance the next gen 911 gets back to its roots. Smaller, faster, authentic.
huntflyer (08-01-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 05:12 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
I say a lot of bad things about the 992, so I get where you’re coming from. But, the market is full of both purists and high disposable income buyers that don’t care about heritage - they care about impressing the neighbors. That 2nd group will keep 992 prices the highest for years to come. Plus, I can’t argue about the 992 TTS performance metrics. When the hybrid 992 debuts, people like me will grouse even more about how Porsche has lost its way, but the world marches on and people like me will just have to get the F over it.
I agree the consumerist will continue feeding the 992 just because it’s a badge. I think second hand though it’ll get filtered down into the least desirable, maybe on the same level as early 996s, (depreciation only), the 996 is actually a wonderful 911. As for performance of the 992, it’s amazing on paper but so is a Tesla. The 992 is spiritual-less and numb. It’s really just another fast car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Laszlo_Laz:
Bud Taylor (05-31-2022), dave morris (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 11:19 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Not quite. VW will remain the majority owner.

I have been buying the stock and taking an active interest in this. Don’t take stock advice from me
Freddie Two Bs (06-18-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 11:27 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
I also think the momentum around green initiatives and the very obvious agenda to wean us off fossil fuels at all costs is and will play the biggest factor in the Porsche market. It’s pretty obvious the agenda is going to happen and quickly. Admin has no plans to reduce the cost of oil. It’s a played hand and the transition is happening like it or not.

On a side note the 992 is not a 911 IMO. It’s a Volkswagen product head to toe that emulates a 911. And the next gen will be even worse. I’ve tried to like the 992 but each time I sit in one I can’t help but to dislike more and more. You can hardly even see the front wings (wing) from a seating position. It’s also enormous in size and the interior design is downright awful and makes zero sense. The car is a fail and it shows in the numbers regardless of inventory woes.

Why I point this out is that the 991.1, 991.2, 997.1 and 997.2s, will always hold a higher premium over the 992 VW, and at some point increase wildly. And this isn’t 10-years from now. This will happen over the next 2 to 3 years.

These previous generations are the last of a true Porsche product, imagined, designed and engineered. Although they did have some VW oversight, they are pure and true to the Porsche heritage and legacy. The 992 is a VW imagined, designed and engineered product. Period. It’s an glorified VW GTI. It will never be sought after. It is a fail.

So regardless of trends, climate, demand, supply, war, admin, etc., etc., the previous generation 911s, will continue to be the most sought after and desirable. That is good examples, unmolested specimens. Not abused track examples, poorly modded, DYI hidden mistakes and hacks, and just poorly maintained garbage heaps you continue to read on RL and can only see shake your head at.

And this isn’t going to change because the US and EU aren’t changing this agenda anytime soon and things will never ever go back to what they used to be. So the cars that are going to be desired are already a part of that trend and will continue to do so. It’s priced in.
After reading your post I think I will have myself drug tested because either you or I are on some sort of serious hallucinations.
The following 4 users liked this post by Patton250:
911T4ME (05-30-2022), EXFIB (08-10-2022), Gus_Smedstad (06-14-2022), uphoto (06-07-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 04:37 AM
JP Manor
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Been toying with the idea of selling my 2014 c2 7 spd with mods. 2 months ago a dealer offered me 80k, saying he could quickly flip it for 85-90.

Inworknin the timepiece industry and business has slowed drastically in the last month.. I texted him yesterday to see if he’s still interested at 80, and his reply was now it would be 65-70 and the market is turning… guess I’m holding onto it.
b1st (06-03-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 07:57 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
Been toying with the idea of selling my 2014 c2 7 spd with mods. 2 months ago a dealer offered me 80k, saying he could quickly flip it for 85-90.

Inworknin the timepiece industry and business has slowed drastically in the last month.. I texted him yesterday to see if he’s still interested at 80, and his reply was now it would be 65-70 and the market is turning… guess I’m holding onto it.
Watches are my biggest hobby and it has slowed down but not for the big boys like Rolex, AP and Patek. I’m very new to Porsche and know very little about it so let’s see if this crashing economy affects them. At the very least it should bring everything back to MSRP I would think. I doubt a brand new turbo S will ever sit on the lot for very long especially at MSRP. Even though it’s not really a Porsche anymore and it’s a Volkswagen according to our two friends above.
NYCMD (06-14-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:14 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
After reading your post I think I will have myself drug tested because either you or I are on some sort of serious hallucinations.

Regardless of which comment I agree with more, this is the best response I have read in a long time. Well done!
Jim981CS (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:41 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Not quite. VW will remain the majority owner.
Actually the Porsche/Piech family will have a controlling interest in the "new" Porsche. BTW, they also control VW.
shammerman (05-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Car values dropping