Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling like I made a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 12:05 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

A RRS is probably the best luxury SUV and the 911 probably the best sportscar you can find. Finding more pleasure driving the RRS and not so much driving the 991 suggests that :
- you expect to get enjoyment from the 991 that you normally get with the RRS although they are 2 cars that are fundamentally opposed, which may lead to deception since they each fulfill different usages. You can be equally pleased by the RRS and the 991, but that would be for different reasons.
- you are not driving your 991 in the way to extract maximum enjoyment from it (winter weather constrains, all season tyres) as a sportscar. The 911 is a car engineered to be driven hard on a racetrack and you should be able to drive it back home at the end of the day.

I drove RRS and RR (2020) for a long time, doing daily commute, they are great daily drivers and majestic for motorway but the handling really sucks when there are corners (even the RRS) - too much roll. Seating in a RRS, you have a commanding position, you really feel like the “King of the road”, materials are really nice and I really had great driving experience meaning very comfortable drive for normal / calm driving style. But once I start to drive quick, the RRS is not fun at all and I felt like it showed its limits quite easily from a chassis point of view. Power and torque was plenty (P400e and P400).

I bought my 991.1 (7MT Targa GTS) this winter. Have barely touched the surface of the potential of the car but the engine noise during acceleration is intoxicating (and so should be your C2S). The exhaust noise of your RRS is probably great too which doesn’t help the comparison with your 991.1 C2S with PSE. But it does not remove any quality from your 991.1, which I am sure would be very good fun to drive in proper summer season with summer tyres on a good twisty road or on track.

I haven’t driven my 991.1 much since purchase. I sometimes have buying remorse but I know I achieved a dream car goal, so remorse is quickly gone. Yes, 911 was my teenage dream car (more exactly it was the 993 which I got before my 991).

Give your 991 the chance to be driven in summer. If it does not do anything for you, then sell it.
Maybe then you should look at air cooled 911 since 911 is your childhood dream car. It’s OK if you realize 911 is not the sportscar you think you should have bought, at least you won’t have any regret.
The following users liked this post:
Patk35 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:23 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

There will probably never be a better time to sell the 911 than now. Depending on when you bought it, you might not lose anything out of the deal.

Couple of things to consider:
1. A lot of people would find an LC500 vastly superior to a 911 when it comes to everyday driving. The LC500 looks and feels special but crucially, it delivers its best experience when cruising - as opposed to the 911 which truly comes alive when you're on twisties, Auto-X or the track.
2. There's a remarkable community/social circle for Porsche cars (PCA, shows, rallies and other events, even Rennlist ) however, if geeking out with other car nerds doesn't seem very exciting then it's a moot point.

Patk35 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:35 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Speaking as a Northeast person from New England, this winter has absolutely sucked as far as driving is concerned. I normally find several days in the winter where I can take the 911 out, not worry about salt on the roads, not worry about low temperatures and stuff, and just enjoy the car. This winter was the first time since I've owned that car that I needed a battery tender because I just couldn't drive it (yeah, yeah, I know, if I wanted I could get winter wheel/tires, etc. etc. but that's not what I want to do with it).

Point is, I love driving the car. I track it every year, several times a year. I drive it whenever possible in winter, but this time it sat unused from early November --> late March. If I based my ownership on that time period I would say (a) I have no opportunity to drive it, (b) it's about $100k sitting rotting in my garage, and (c) I should sell it. 911's are not - generally speaking, and there's always an exception - owned by people who daily drive them regardless of the conditions. Those that do, are sensible (like asellus) and put winter tires on them. Those of us that don't, just park 'em when the weather sucks. That means that if you buy a car in the midst of a nasty winter - and this winter, while snow volume wasn't massive, was not great for driving - you're going to not have much of an opportunity to drive it and to enjoy it. That could lead to feelings of not connecting with the car, of remorse, of wanting to sell it.

My advise: wait a couple of months for the weather to be better - consistently above 60 degrees so that the tires are happier. Then drive it regularly. See if you really like it. If not, then sell it, but at least give it a fair chance in decent weather.
Patk35 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:39 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU991812
You sure it's not just NJ bringing you down? lol. If you enjoy the Land Rover better, then maybe a Cayenne is more for you.

I find it difficult to drive around briskly around the main parks of NJ also. Most of the time the parkway or turnpike have too many cars to drive briskly and safely. Local roads are filled with idiots that can barely drive, and it's NJ's own fault for driving tests being in closed test courses, and then when people go into the real world driving, they don't know what do when cars and people are actually around them.
I find it surprising that you've wanted one for so long and it's been disappointing so far. I've also wanted one since I was about 12, building my first scale model 911 cabriolet. I have no disappointments with my C2 cab at all. I feel the power is enough, more than enough. Each time I drive, I feel like I'm holding back about 100 of those horses.

If you are on Facebook, I can PM you with a group that meets every quarter or so in NJ (it's of NJ and area owners). We cruise the north west of NJ and get to "air out" our cars a little.

I see you have winter tires, so try to get more road time in and take the backroads through say Flemington, into Frenchtown and Milford, then drive along 29 down to New Hope. The speed limit is slow (25mph in some spots) but it's 40 mph in a lot of others. Take some sharp turns hard that you know the Land Rover couldn't do, and you'll enjoy the 911 more.

Anyway, like others are saying, only since Dec. Give it a few more warms months, and if you still are not connecting, then you're not connecting. Maybe reality didn't live up to expectations, so that happens.
I went up 9W North of the Tappan Zee and up into the Ramapo foothills last fri and had a great time, if anything that experience made me upset as to how infrequently its been available to me over my months of ownership. If I keep the car I might just get in touch with you.

Originally Posted by jbendaou
maybe you waited too long to get a 911 and once you got it, your expectations were not met…Nothing wrong with that.

am curious. What do people around you think of the 911? And the range? Which one gets you more compliments and wow factor?
Honestly

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Dump the 991.1 & the RR - get a Cayenne GTS. I adore my '21.
If I can find one at sticker I might just do this.

Originally Posted by Watson
A RRS is probably the best luxury SUV and the 911 probably the best sportscar you can find. Finding more pleasure driving the RRS and not so much driving the 991 suggests that :
- you expect to get enjoyment from the 991 that you normally get with the RRS although they are 2 cars that are fundamentally opposed, which may lead to deception since they each fulfill different usages. You can be equally pleased by the RRS and the 991, but that would be for different reasons.
- you are not driving your 991 in the way to extract maximum enjoyment from it (winter weather constrains, all season tyres) as a sportscar. The 911 is a car engineered to be driven hard on a racetrack and you should be able to drive it back home at the end of the day.

I drove RRS and RR (2020) for a long time, doing daily commute, they are great daily drivers and majestic for motorway but the handling really sucks when there are corners (even the RRS) - too much roll. Seating in a RRS, you have a commanding position, you really feel like the “King of the road”, materials are really nice and I really had great driving experience meaning very comfortable drive for normal / calm driving style. But once I start to drive quick, the RRS is not fun at all and I felt like it showed its limits quite easily from a chassis point of view. Power and torque was plenty (P400e and P400).

I bought my 991.1 (7MT Targa GTS) this winter. Have barely touched the surface of the potential of the car but the engine noise during acceleration is intoxicating (and so should be your C2S). The exhaust noise of your RRS is probably great too which doesn’t help the comparison with your 991.1 C2S with PSE. But it does not remove any quality from your 991.1, which I am sure would be very good fun to drive in proper summer season with summer tyres on a good twisty road or on track.

I haven’t driven my 991.1 much since purchase. I sometimes have buying remorse but I know I achieved a dream car goal, so remorse is quickly gone. Yes, 911 was my teenage dream car (more exactly it was the 993 which I got before my 991).

Give your 991 the chance to be driven in summer. If it does not do anything for you, then sell it.
Maybe then you should look at air cooled 911 since 911 is your childhood dream car. It’s OK if you realize 911 is not the sportscar you think you should have bought, at least you won’t have any regret.
I don't so much think the 911 is the wrong sports car so much as I'm thinking I don't have the location/lifestyle for a sports car. It's like nothing else I've ever driven (in a good way), I'm just not sure I can access the experience reliably enough to justify ownership. My poster car was a 964 Turbo which might as well be $1million.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Oy... What a good thread but feel for you OP. I've never been in your position so take my advice with that in mind.

A few indicators to watch:

If your car is manual and you cannot press the clutch the right way then that car is not for you. Driving manual is much more than just a mechanical movement to operate a vehicle, it is a connection with the machine to achieve harmony. Go test drive a PDK and see how it feels.
If you don't find yourself daydreaming about your car, visiting your garage on a daily basis, walking around it having a conversation in your head, ask yourself "Is a 911truly my dream car?". Dreams change all the time mate.
If you don't feel the need to push the car "that little extra bit" while driving a twisty tarmac, and chuckle after you "get away with it", then that car is not for you.
I live in central PA, winters suck, roads suck, tractor trailers suck. My car stays indoors for a few months and the yearning begins. Every Spring I cannot wait to take it out and drive it, it takes a while to reconnect, but it happens.

I will not bore you with a long list as many fellow posters already gave you plenty of great advice.

I truly hope you find the right car to fall in love with, it is a fantastic feeling.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:51 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducktails
There will probably never be a better time to sell the 911 than now. Depending on when you bought it, you might not lose anything out of the deal.

Couple of things to consider:
1. A lot of people would find an LC500 vastly superior to a 911 when it comes to everyday driving. The LC500 looks and feels special but crucially, it delivers its best experience when cruising - as opposed to the 911 which truly comes alive when you're on twisties, Auto-X or the track.
2. There's a remarkable community/social circle for Porsche cars (PCA, shows, rallies and other events, even Rennlist ) however, if geeking out with other car nerds doesn't seem very exciting then it's a moot point.
I went to the NNJ PCA meet and had a great time nerding out tbh. I considered an LC500 and an AMG GT instead of the 911 but it came back to needing to fulfill that dream.

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Speaking as a Northeast person from New England, this winter has absolutely sucked as far as driving is concerned. I normally find several days in the winter where I can take the 911 out, not worry about salt on the roads, not worry about low temperatures and stuff, and just enjoy the car. This winter was the first time since I've owned that car that I needed a battery tender because I just couldn't drive it (yeah, yeah, I know, if I wanted I could get winter wheel/tires, etc. etc. but that's not what I want to do with it).

Point is, I love driving the car. I track it every year, several times a year. I drive it whenever possible in winter, but this time it sat unused from early November --> late March. If I based my ownership on that time period I would say (a) I have no opportunity to drive it, (b) it's about $100k sitting rotting in my garage, and (c) I should sell it. 911's are not - generally speaking, and there's always an exception - owned by people who daily drive them regardless of the conditions. Those that do, are sensible (like asellus) and put winter tires on them. Those of us that don't, just park 'em when the weather sucks. That means that if you buy a car in the midst of a nasty winter - and this winter, while snow volume wasn't massive, was not great for driving - you're going to not have much of an opportunity to drive it and to enjoy it. That could lead to feelings of not connecting with the car, of remorse, of wanting to sell it.

My advise: wait a couple of months for the weather to be better - consistently above 60 degrees so that the tires are happier. Then drive it regularly. See if you really like it. If not, then sell it, but at least give it a fair chance in decent weather.
I'm thinking I will take the month of April and if things don't improve I will list the car.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:59 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Oy... What a good thread but feel for you OP. I've never been in your position so take my advice with that in mind.

A few indicators to watch:

If your car is manual and you cannot press the clutch the right way then that car is not for you. Driving manual is much more than just a mechanical movement to operate a vehicle, it is a connection with the machine to achieve harmony. Go test drive a PDK and see how it feels.
If you don't find yourself daydreaming about your car, visiting your garage on a daily basis, walking around it having a conversation in your head, ask yourself "Is a 911truly my dream car?". Dreams change all the time mate.
If you don't feel the need to push the car "that little extra bit" while driving a twisty tarmac, and chuckle after you "get away with it", then that car is not for you.
I live in central PA, winters suck, roads suck, tractor trailers suck. My car stays indoors for a few months and the yearning begins. Every Spring I cannot wait to take it out and drive it, it takes a while to reconnect, but it happens.

I will not bore you with a long list as many fellow posters already gave you plenty of great advice.

I truly hope you find the right car to fall in love with, it is a fantastic feeling.
The car is a PDK, I couldn't get comfortable operating a manual due to some knee issues. PDK is great I wish Porsche would license it to other manufacturers.

When I've found a good road late at night or early in the morning and given it that little extra throttle/little bit later turn in nothing in a vehicle has given me that level of smiles. That said I am just increasingly frustrated with how infrequent that experience has been and the amount of my resources tied up in it.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:08 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,200 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
You,'re asking questions only you can answer.
That was my takeaway as well. If you go around asking other people what you should buy/drive how will you ever end up with what is right for you? You just end up with what is right for someone else.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:12 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

The 911 market is not going to cool down any time soon. I would say maybe hold on and drive it some more through May, and then decide. I've found the Port Jarvis and south NJ into PA areas more fun to drive than the Hudson River areas, but that's just me. Too much police presence in the Harriman area.

Those that suggest going to the track. That's fine, to enjoy the track, but you will have it 95% of the time away from the track. So if you don't love it 95% of the time, but love it on the track... then you basically have a garage queen that you'll only like on the track. No sense in that either...
Pb Pedis (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 01:21 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Every time I get into my car I'm happy and I love driving it. if you don't feel this way sell it, period. its not a perfect car and I don't drive it on 6 hour road trips because of the noise and the ride, and that's fine for me. But I absolutely driving it to work or the cottage in summer. There are many things we need to compromise in life, relationships, marriage, work etc... you don't buy a car like a Porsche to not be happy about it and enjoy it. it's one of those things that should make you happy. if it doesn't it's really a waste of money. just sell it and move on.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockrdude:
ICU991812 (03-24-2022), Patk35 (03-24-2022), The Ox (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 01:50 PM
jets
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds to me like you're looking for this car to make you happy and that'll never happen unless you're already happy yourself. I don't even need to get in to love it every time I see it in the garage.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:08 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

There's big difference between .1 and .2.
I was in kinda same way, love to own 911 so I bought a 991.1 C2S after lots of M cars (E36/E46/E90/F80 M3, F10 M5 and very first X5M). I enjoyed it but didn't love it.
Now I have 991.2 GTS which I really enjoy and love.

I like driving. cruise most of times, aggressive sometimes and take it to some twisty canyon time to time but no track days.
While NA engine is great but for me, .2 turbo engine with more usable power in lower RPM (and bit more power from GTS) was the game changer.

Maybe try to test drive .2 and see if you're not 911 guy at all or just 991.1 was not your thing.
Also if you like to cruise and enjoy, Boxster is a great car- fast enough, great balance and a lot more to enjoy with open air (in terms of 'emotional' value) and financial value for the car rarely drive.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:40 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Patk35

I went to a PCA meet and everyone was really cool and complimented the car. Friends and family have been really supportive so it's not social pressure causing this.
IDK, maybe the problem is you went to a PCA meet.

Anytime I went to a PCA event, it made me feel like I was supposed to be wearing baby diapers!
The following 3 users liked this post by WP0:
AdamSanta85 (03-24-2022), isugoo (03-25-2022), T3X4S (04-14-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

What I think the OP is saying is not that he doesn't like the 911 or his specific 911, but rather he isn't sure a sports car that really only excels in twisty roads makes sense given the price tag and lack of opportunity to use it that way.

Update this thread after april OP.
ICU991812 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:56 PM
nomad13
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you aren't depressed then maybe you just got over this quickly. I love my 991.2 base. I need that inexpensive turbo push. Also with a tune it is sweet. Now I need even more power. 991.1 is snore fest for me. Some folks want v8 grunt. I'm reunited with my childhood dreams of driving this iconic beast.

Quick Reply: Feeling like I made a mistake....