Sponsored by:

Modifying 991.1 steering software

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 06:29 PM
Prius&991.1CS2
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85

Amazing! Just ordered the tool from Amazon. Sounds like we even have the same car. I have a 2015 C2S in guards red, how about you?
Old 12-03-2023, 03:38 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone for the information, this thread shows why this forum/community is great.

I was able to program my windows to go up/down with the key using the $100 device linked in this thread. TBH I was pretty surprised when the car didn't have this out of the box so this is a big plus for me since I frequently have my windows open to listen to the engine =)

Changing the steering software to GT3 resulted in a error code (I have a 2013 November production, basically the end of the "early" 991.1s).

Seems like the current options for the getting rid of the warnings is to silence them?

My only concern with silencing is if the warning is indicating that the software is different because it's defaulting to some other config instead of using the GT3 config. It does seem like for people without the warning that the GT3 config is a positive. Not sure if there is consensus for people with the warnings in early 991.1s. I think I'll just need to try it out and see if I like it more.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (12-03-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:31 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by boldish
Thanks everyone for the information, this thread shows why this forum/community is great.

I was able to program my windows to go up/down with the key using the $100 device linked in this thread. TBH I was pretty surprised when the car didn't have this out of the box so this is a big plus for me since I frequently have my windows open to listen to the engine =)

Changing the steering software to GT3 resulted in a error code (I have a 2013 November production, basically the end of the "early" 991.1s).

Seems like the current options for the getting rid of the warnings is to silence them?

My only concern with silencing is if the warning is indicating that the software is different because it's defaulting to some other config instead of using the GT3 config. It does seem like for people without the warning that the GT3 config is a positive. Not sure if there is consensus for people with the warnings in early 991.1s. I think I'll just need to try it out and see if I like it more.

we explored this issue earlier in the thread.

i have a 2012.5 991 and got the error and suppressed the error. i reduced the possibility that the error was a default setting by trying some of the other options.
for example, setting the steering to C4 was very similar to C2. setting the steering to GT3 is transformative and even if i couldn't suppress the error i'd still use the GT3 steering setting. it's that much better.
The following users liked this post:
nsau (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 05:09 PM
Prius&991.1CS2
Intermediate

Hmm. I am not able to your screen shots to get to a drop down menu to change the electric steering. Here is what I see when I get into the system info. Any ideas? Is there some kind of code I need to enter for calibration?

Old 12-04-2023, 05:17 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Prius&991.1CS2
Hmm. I am not able to your screen shots to get to a drop down menu to change the electric steering. Here is what I see when I get into the system info. Any ideas? Is there some kind of code I need to enter for calibration?

Its in "Code/Brush Hiding" within the module. Trying to remember off top of mind.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:36 PM
boldish
Advanced

Its in "Code/Brush Hiding" within the module. Trying to remember off top of mind.
This is correct.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:43 PM
boldish
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfischet
we explored this issue earlier in the thread.

i have a 2012.5 991 and got the error and suppressed the error. i reduced the possibility that the error was a default setting by trying some of the other options.
for example, setting the steering to C4 was very similar to C2. setting the steering to GT3 is transformative and even if i couldn't suppress the error i'd still use the GT3 steering setting. it's that much better.
Good to know, thanks!

My initial impressions are that it almost seems like Power Steering Plus has been disabled (or affected/reduced) as there is greater effort required at low speeds to turn the steering wheel.
I noticed that very small movements to the steering wheel result in what seemed like more sensitive wheel turning although I'll need more time to figure out how much this differs from my standard config.
I also need more time at higher speeds get a good understanding of what has changed (I am by no means an expert in steering feel). I'll probably plan to switch back between C2 and GT3 a couple times to try to understand more.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:02 PM
Prius&991.1CS2
Intermediate

Good to know, thanks!

My initial impressions are that it almost seems like Power Steering Plus has been disabled (or affected/reduced) as there is greater effort required at low speeds to turn the steering wheel.
I noticed that very small movements to the steering wheel result in what seemed like more sensitive wheel turning although I'll need more time to figure out how much this differs from my standard config.
I also need more time at higher speeds get a good understanding of what has changed (I am by no means an expert in steering feel). I'll probably plan to switch back between C2 and GT3 a couple times to try to understand more.
Did you use the thinkdiag+ OBD2 Bluetooth interface to change your steering to gt3?
Old 12-04-2023, 07:24 PM
boldish
Advanced

I don't know whether a Thinkdiag+ is different than a Thinkdiag but I used the Thinkdiag OBD2 device that is currently for sale.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:17 PM
bokh
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

This is correct.
do you have screenshots please? I also don't see this option anywhere.

Thanks

Last edited by bokh; 12-04-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:32 PM
boldish
Advanced

Electric Power Steering -> Code/brush Hiding -> Rule Coding -> Coding value

There should be two options with the top one opening a drop down that has 10 or so options.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:33 AM
bokh
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Electric Power Steering -> Code/brush Hiding -> Rule Coding -> Coding value

There should be two options with the top one opening a drop down that has 10 or so options.
thanks. For some reason I don't have all those options. Returning my Thinkdiag and ordering a new one. Maybe someone in the NYC area (Westchester) have a Piwis and can help with this?
Thanks

Last edited by bokh; 12-05-2023 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:35 PM
boldish
Advanced

Originally Posted by bokh
thanks. For some reason I don't have all those options. Returning my Thinkdiag and ordering a new one. Maybe someone in the NYC area (Westchester) have a Piwis and can help with this?
Thanks
I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the early production 991s without the right options may not have all the electronic steering config options.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:37 PM
Prius&991.1CS2
Intermediate

Thanks
I would be happy to help you get it solved if you like,although I am in California. I accomplished getting the steering upgraded to GT3 with the Thinkdiag+ originally linked.

I Initially I made a bonehead mistake of selecting "electric steering wheel", which is of course the modules for the controls on the steering wheel itself. My 2015 C2S has a blank steering wheel with zero controls on it, just a horn. It took me 45 minutes of poking around to finally get the steering module changed.

The module I needed to select was "electric power steering". From there you can follow the directions explained above this post. Interestingly, after I made the change to GT3 steering in the app, the option changed to simply "power steering".

I am amazed at how many other things you can play around with in the module list. Does anyone have any other cool upgrades or changes to their car I should consider?

​​​​​
Old 12-05-2023, 03:39 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Thanks
If you want to come out to LI I can help you out, but it would be with my Launch device as well.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 12-05-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Modifying 991.1 steering software