Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for supreme haggle (Targa 4 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 05:26 PM
jdurantwalker
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ideas for supreme haggle (Targa 4 GTS)

Looking for ideas to help get a purchase done. Oy this market!

Subject: 2019 Targa 4 GTS PTS (Oak Green Metallic), 2400 miles, Manual, PCCB, "Special Wish" (Houndstooth) Interior, etc. MSRP was $217.5K. Seller asking $300K ($%^&*).

Research online has shown this particular seller is overzealous in terms of $ (obvsly) and in attitude but has a good eye for special P cars. It's a Targa not a GT3, Turbo, etc... it's been for sale for what looks like at least 6 months. Really is the ideal spec for me so I'm willing to write a big check but that's ridiculous. Apparently seller tends to be very sensitive about his prices or being "called out"...so, how do I get a deal done? I haven't made an offer or engaged other than to get asking price. I want to go in with factual arguments haha. Logic in an emotionally driven world...

Thanks for any suggestions or insights!

-JDW

Last edited by jdurantwalker; 12-10-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:43 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

That is a beautifully spiced car and in this market I’m sure he will get close to that. Real gem,good luck if u get it. Post pics
The following users liked this post:
jdurantwalker (12-11-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurantwalker

Subject: 2019 Targa 4 GTS PTS (Oak Green Metallic), 2400 miles, Manual, PCCB, "Special Wish" (Houndstooth) Interior, etc. MSRP was $217.5K. Seller asking $300K ($%^&*).

Research online has shown this particular seller is overzealous in terms of $ (obvsly) and in attitude but has a good eye for special P cars. It's a Targa not a GT3, Turbo, etc... it's been for sale for what looks like at least 6 months. Really is the idea spec for me so I'm willing to write a big check but that's ridiculous. Apparently seller tends to be very sensitive about his prices or being "called out"...so, how do I get a deal done? I haven't made an offer or engaged other than to get asking price. I want to go in with factual arguments haha. Logic in an emotionally driven world...

-JDW
Clearly seller is not in a rush to sell.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack F:
jdurantwalker (12-11-2021), T3X4S (12-12-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 09:01 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/2019...-gts-c-312.htm

Old 12-10-2021, 09:04 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 841 Posts

Well that's a price
Old 12-10-2021, 09:22 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 435 Posts

That is an awesome spec'd vehicle and VERY unique in color and style. Without knowing what the seller paid for the vehicle, it's hard to say where to begin. If you are serious about that car, offer $250k but don't be surprised to be turned down. You can probably get it for $275 though. Still, whatever you do, don't expect to recoup your costs on this car. These crazy prices and just that. Crazy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
Old 12-10-2021, 10:55 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 139 Posts

I mean 218K for a 911 is already stupid money. To pay 300K is total madness.

Certainly way out of my league, but still….kinda silly when you can get one for a third of the price (or less) that would be just as good.

If you can afford to write that kind of cheque, I’m not sure 25k or 50k is worth any angst.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by spiderv6:
Old 12-10-2021, 11:21 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

These astronomical prices are being supported because there are people willing to pay. You have little leverage.

Personally I would order a new model and wouldn't fuel the frenzy by paying ransom.

But feel free to exercise free will, after all it's your money.
The following 4 users liked this post by BSO:
AdamSanta85 (12-11-2021), d-- (12-11-2021), jdurantwalker (12-11-2021), T3X4S (12-12-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 11:32 PM
jdurantwalker
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the replies thus far, all helpful. Keep it coming...
Old 12-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

He might be into the car for more than you think, too. Apparently he's asking $250k for the viper green 996 turbo S and allegedly he bought it for $200k. Seems like he specializes in very special cars and he's happy to wait for the right buyer.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:15 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

Research online has shown this particular seller is overzealous in terms of $ (obvsly) and in attitude but has a good eye for special P cars. It's a Targa not a GT3, Turbo, etc... it's been for sale for what looks like at least 6 months. Really is the ideal spec for me so I'm willing to write a big check but that's ridiculous. Apparently seller tends to be very sensitive about his prices or being "called out"...so, how do I get a deal done? I haven't made an offer or engaged other than to get asking price. I want to go in with factual arguments haha. Logic in an emotionally driven world...

-JDW
Hi JDW!
This Targa is very elegant... I'd think hard before you talk yourself into this particular build for this amount of premium above cost they are asking. Let's discuss...
The colour is special and the GTS silver centerlock wheels with silver Targa bar complement it nicely. The manual transmission is a nice classic touch as well.

Ok... I can see why you really want it, and you want it now; but let's back up a bit. Picture yourself inside behind the wheel. The leather interior is nice. The stitching... discrete and it add a bit of class. The tan/espresso pulls together nicely. Ok... so you can see this car in your garage but something inside you is making you doubt yourself or you wouldn't have reached out to us.

So, let's ask why this person is selling it after only 2,400 miles. Something is troubling this owner. I don't think it is the money. Maybe it isn't the perfect build they dreamt it would be. It isn't easy creating beauty/simplicity. Is the black piping and houndstooth too much? Are the yellow brake calipers out of place and screaming too busy?

I've seen some beautifully designed coupes, convertibles and targas. The ones that take your breath away are the ones that don't fight your eyes or shout in your face. Take a look at these two PTS": " Ksdaoski " Targa and "Nyati" Coupe. There is some really deep beauty there. Now look at other LTS interiors that are truly memorable. They don't look forced. This interior is forced.

This is what you have to debate while negotiating on this car. I know you want it, but you have to convince the seller it isn't their gift to the world of Porsche design. You can't ask a 50% premium on a second hand Porsche unless it is truly unique, special and elegant in every detail. He/she made their choices and that's fine. Hold your ground and don't be taken advantage of. They are still making Targas and it is lots of fun to play with the configurator. The seller is more worried about realizing they don't have the world's most perfect Targa. Personally, I think you could design a better example for smarter money.

So, if you do buy it, I hope you play James Bond "cool" and insinuate it is not the perfect car, but it will do in a pandemic pinch. Offer them list price to start. Have fun. The journey is the best part. If you plan to keep your car for a long time to share and build memories... maybe make your own. Only you could make your perfect Targa.

The following 2 users liked this post by Icebreaker:
Old 12-11-2021, 02:27 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 163 Posts

-JDW
it all starts with an offer to buy it NOW. first, figure out the absolute most you're willing to pay. this is the hardest part. forget what you think it's worth. you're gonna pay way more then that these days. then approach it like a REAL buyer. tell him you're willing to BUY IT NOW for $10k less then the highest price you're willing to pay. the NOW part is important. if you need some stuff done before buying (inspection/test drive/PPI), you're not in a position to do this yet. if/when you get to that point....pull trigger and make a real offer.

truth is, many 911 buyers are total strokes and a PITA to deal with. this guy is a dealer and knows that...and i'm sure he hates it. before you make the offer, make it clear you're ready to roll and can wire money today. nothing gets a dealers attention more then a real deal today. he'll probably turn down your offer but you have another $10k to throw out there (small jesture to show you're willing to work with him/stretch a little bit). if it's still a no, then this car is too expensive for you.

or......
If you have the money to burn, just pay the man what he wants and start enjoying the car =)

no rocket science involved here. logic will do you very little good in a logic-less market. cash is king and an quick/smooth transaction is the queen

sounds like an awesome car. best of luck!
Old 12-11-2021, 08:27 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

Why not order a new one in the exact spec you want and save $100,000.00?
The following 3 users liked this post by docskeet:
AdamSanta85 (12-11-2021), jdurantwalker (12-11-2021), T3X4S (12-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 09:45 AM
professorv
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold the same dealer my 996tt earlier this year, and I asked about this Targa. He said, “It’s not really for sale.” Perhaps he said that because he doubted I’d be upgrading from a 996 to a $300k Targa. Beautiful spec though.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Alc
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 203 Posts

A while back I tried to work with the same guy/dealer…VERY difficult and will try to display “vast” knowledge of PCars and how all his cars will/are increasing in value (think 5-6 years ago market). This dealer charges a huge premium and that was well before the current crazy market. My advice, walk away and find a more reasonable dealer. I’ve learned very quickly there are a vast amount of “special” PCars out there if you keep looking. He’s got a great collection, no doubt, but there are a ton of “special” 991s out there.

oh, and as far as 1 of 1…yeah you can say that about so many cars Porsches. If you can find a 991.2 Base Carrera with no options, MT, and a color other than white, black, silver, or gray that has a legitimate chance of being a 1 of 1.

Last edited by Alc; 12-11-2021 at 10:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alc:
Icebreaker (12-11-2021), jdurantwalker (12-11-2021), T3X4S (12-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Ideas for supreme haggle (Targa 4 GTS)