Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for supreme haggle (Targa 4 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 12:04 PM
james280
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts

Agree with Ksdaoski and Quadcammer - find another car. You're not going to pay anywhere near asking (and you shouldn't) so stop wasting both your time.. IMHO, that is.
The following users liked this post:
jdurantwalker (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 12:31 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I have known a few car guys where their cars are always, perpetually, for sale. They just wait till the sucker comes along.

One gentleman I saw frequently at car shows had a 67 stingray for sale for a LONG time. It was a rare combo of colors, top flight, 427 car.

He had a lofty number on the car. Probably 50% over market. After a few seasons of hearing from everyone that it was overpriced, someone with a ton of cash who liked the car bought it. There is a butt for every seat.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:07 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by james280
I'm sorry, but despite the crazy asking price, $80k below asking is not a real offer.
100% agree. you're free to offer what ever you want, but to then take it personally when the seller blows your low ball offer out is very puzzling. if you were willing to go to $250-$260, why not offer something close to that??. this is the very DEFINITION OF LOW BALL lmao!!..... offering a number you were willing to go much higher on ($30k+). if you came in at $250-ish, i doubt the conversation would have gone like it did. not saying you would have made a deal. just saying the seller would have taken you seriously and discussed/negotiated numbers and maybe made a deal. your approach insured you were in no danger of buying this car. you low balled him and he acted accordingly with his "bye bye/ have a nice day". can't fault the guy for not wanting to waste his time with you. no doubt it's happened before. probably many times. he gets to choose to partake in the games or not. he chose not to with you. why get twisted on him about it? it's not like he contacted you and asked for an offer/sale??

it's very obvious the seller is trying to take advantage of the current insane marketplace. he's looking for the right buyer and swinging for the fences. personally, i find it utterly ridiculous that anyone would pay anything close to msrp for this beautiful *three year old used car*. but the market has lost its mind. we all know that. nothing to be surprised, shocked or upset at here. this is capitalism and how it works.

so yes....this seller is playing games and trying capitalize on the current market conditions. but after seeing your offer vs what you were willing to pay/thought the car was worth *to you*, it appears you were playing games too...... and you both lost

Old 12-12-2021, 01:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I’m usually a big fan of the pepita seats, but IMHO they don’t work with this interior.

There you go. The car is now worth $180K. Buy it.

DaveGee
They don't work with the brown interior. Hurts my eyes. Loved the exterior paint, and the seat color from the outside...when I saw the pepita on seat surfaces...no deal.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 12-12-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:54 PM
omegaSMP300
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I inquired into this car. But there are a lot of other options at 300k (or 280k or whatever he ends up selling it for). Can pick up an ever so slightly used 992 GT3 for 300k. Regardless, prices will eventually stabilize and this Targa is going to get hit hard (hopefully the eventual buyer does not give a damn). I think it’s a nice spec but does not command the premium this inflated market is asking.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by omegaSMP300
I inquired into this car. But there are a lot of other options at 300k (or 280k or whatever he ends up selling it for). Can pick up an ever so slightly used 992 GT3 for 300k. Regardless, prices will eventually stabilize and this Targa is going to get hit hard (hopefully the eventual buyer does not give a damn). I think it’s a nice spec but does not command the premium this inflated market is asking.
agree. the phrase "getting stuck holding the bag" comes to mind here. i foresee whoever ends up buying this car ending up with a rather large bag in their hands down the road. thinking jdurantwalker will want to send a thank you note to this guy a couple years from now =).
The following 2 users liked this post by Levy:
AdamSanta85 (12-18-2021), jdurantwalker (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I get it that most people don't see the value at that price point, but I don't think the comparisons with GT3s and longtails make much sense. This Targa is a grand tourer's grand tourer. I think the rate of substitution with a nosebleed, track focused, fixed roof car is very, very low. A better comparison might be a Turbo Cab, or an Aston. Even then, between a run of the mill black/white/silver on black Turbo Cab, or Aston, and this Targa, I'd take this Targa easily.

Last edited by Freddie Two Bs; 12-12-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:57 PM
SFernando
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the ‘greater fool’ theory that’s usually applied to the stock market come to life for P cars. A little impulse control and delayed gratification on the buyer side will help bring prices back to sane ranges.
The following 2 users liked this post by SFernando:
AdamSanta85 (12-18-2021), jdurantwalker (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:54 PM
jdurantwalker
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I get that most people don't see the value at that price point, but I don't think the comparisons with GT3s and longtails make much sense. This Targa is a grand tourer's grand tourer. I think the rate of substitution with a nosebleed track focused fixed roof car is very, very low. A better comparison might be a Turbo Cab, or an Aston. Even then, between a run of the mill black/white/silver on black turbo cab or aston and this Targa, I'd take this Targa easily.
Nailed it.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:17 PM
SSFox
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Not worth doing business with a squirrel

If you were to buy this, it would be tainted by the personality of the seller. Any little problem will remind you that you bought it from a skunk. The car will never feel or smell clean. You will continually think of what else you could have used the money for. You will constantly see a car you like and think, I could have waited for this and still had this much left to buy accessories or go on a trip or invest etc. I collect fine art and have never been sad I passed on an offer that felt squirrelly; and I have always found something as good and often even better. Six years ago I saw a delightful Kenneth Snelson sculpture that didn’t seem right. I emailed him and his agent told that Snelson said he did make the piece, but would not put his name to it because it was a component of a larger work; thus it was not a complete work and therefore not something he made. Two months ago a stellar, exceptional Snelson was offered by auction from the estate of a world renowned dealer and collector. I used the money I didn’t spend years ago to be able to out bid all others. Now I have a premium piece with an impeccable history and provenance.

Snelson in front. Beverly Pepper right and Harry Bertoia left.

Snelson Inspiration 911, Pepper, Mom’s favorite NASCAR driver Tony Stewart’s 14 from his owner-driver championship season and my white, base Carerra 2013 C2.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:12 AM
rmurphy964
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many more beautiful shades of green, yellow calipers don't match the body color, and the seat inserts on tan with this color are just hideous. Too bad it doesn't have a red targa top...the perfect color combination if you're colorblind. All that said, keep looking because of all the bad karma from this seller. Buying any Porsche should be a pleasant experience, not one that you'll regret in a few years.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:57 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by rmurphy964
There are many more beautiful shades of green, yellow calipers don't match the body color, and the seat inserts on tan with this color are just hideous. Too bad it doesn't have a red targa top...the perfect color combination if you're colorblind. All that said, keep looking because of all the bad karma from this seller. Buying any Porsche should be a pleasant experience, not one that you'll regret in a few years.
Let’s not rush to judgement on red Targa tops. If I had feelings that would hurt.

DaveGee

Icebreaker (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 02:58 PM
rmurphy964
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

DaveGee = no offense intended, I love the red targa top on a matching body color like your car. My comment was, sarcastically, that a green body, yellow calipers, with houndstooth seat inserts could have gone even further off the color wheel by adding a red targa top. I had a targa with stone gray paint, silk interior and black top, which are the monochromatic, safe but dull, choices.

Quick Reply: Ideas for supreme haggle (Targa 4 GTS)