Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma: Trade my 991.1 for the 992....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 10:21 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Dilemma: Trade my 991.1 for the 992....

So I found a 992 within 500 miles with a spec that is pretty close to how I would build it listed at MRSP but am torn if I should trade in my 991.1. I love my 991 and it is a great car with the specs I want and only 36k miles on it. However... the values are up so much that I can take advantage of it and get into a new one with warranty. I did drive the 992 but am not sure how I feel about the interior, sound, or overall feel of the car.

Anyone here been in a similar place? Always curious on other experiences.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:29 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy515
So I found a 992 within 500 miles with a spec that is pretty close to how I would build it listed at MRSP but am torn if I should trade in my 991.1. I love my 991 and it is a great car with the specs I want and only 36k miles on it. However... the values are up so much that I can take advantage of it and get into a new one with warranty. I did drive the 992 but am not sure how I feel about the interior, sound, or overall feel of the car.

Test drove a 992 S (back when they were more plentiful) and while it looked phenomenal, the driving experience was a bit too dull compared to my T. It was missing the visceral feel of the 991, more sound deadening, etc. While faster, I couldn’t justify the 30k+ outlay on top of my trade in.

Values for the T seem to be climbing, but I don’t know if I would trade for a 992 even in a straight up trade. I’m not too big of a fan of the screens and all the tech in the new car - the new PCM can be very buggy. I had a Taycan loaner and for an entire day (up until I returned it to the dealer) the PCM was totally frozen, no control of HVAC or infotainment or car settings in PCM. Too much nonsense, and it’s not fully sussed out yet, no thanks.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:52 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

The above post pretty much sums up my feelings.

A 991.2 Turbo if equipped right and like miles would tempt but then it would be PDK instead of my manual.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:05 AM
Ed G
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
Test drove a 992 S (back when they were more plentiful) and while it looked phenomenal, the driving experience was a bit too dull compared to my T. It was missing the visceral feel of the 991, more sound deadening, etc. While faster, I couldn’t justify the 30k+ outlay on top of my trade in.

Values for the T seem to be climbing, but I don’t know if I would trade for a 992 even in a straight up trade. I’m not too big of a fan of the screens and all the tech in the new car - the new PCM can be very buggy. I had a Taycan loaner and for an entire day (up until I returned it to the dealer) the PCM was totally frozen, no control of HVAC or infotainment or car settings in PCM. Too much nonsense, and it’s not fully sussed out yet, no thanks.
Agree with sentiment. Have a T also and the 992 left me a little cold. I am usually one that trades up for newer models as they come out but lately the itch is going away. Not sure more peformance is a better driving experience.

Recently had an opportunity to drive a 992S and Taycan Turbo S on the track and push them both fairly hard. While both were incredibly fast and capable, they felt too easy to drive and took away some of the challenge and emotional aspects of driving. I don't mean any disrespect as they are incredible and Porsche has done a great job in desiging and building them.

My brain seems to undertand that these new cars are arguably better in every measurable way but my heart tells me otherwise. I am fortunate to also have a 993 and 718 GT4. While on paper the 993 is the least capable, I am finding lately that it is the one that I am grabbing the keys to most often when going for weekend drives.

We are lucky to have these grown up "toys" and believe it ultimately comes down to the emotional aspect.

The following users liked this post:
964-50 (11-01-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:37 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

The only reason I don’t have a 992 is that I don’t want to spend that much money on a car. I’ve never driven one but the reviews and forum posts suggest that they’re amazing. There are rare cases where folks go 992 -> 991 for subjective reasons and I get that, but the majority probably love the newer vehicle.

As for all the talk of driver engagement being less with the 992, I kept hearing the same about the 991 when I had my 997. While I loved my 997, the 991.1 is superior in every way. Folks might argue about steering feel and engagement, but I felt that the newer car was a step up.

i say go ahead and scratch the itch - otherwise you will continue to wonder. If you miss the 991.1 you will find one when the market normalizes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gripster:
d-- (06-09-2022), Riptide (11-05-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:57 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

If you're unsure, keep what you have. Have driven 991.1 C2S on street and a 992 C4S on track. I think the sound of the 992 is good, but 991.1 C2S definitely has more character.

Upgrading is still going to cost you a considerable amount of money, between additional price and tax. Warranty is nice, but the 991.1 is also an incredibly solid platform. If anything get a Fidelity warranty and enjoy what you have.
Fullyield (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:07 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Really only you can answer this question.

I have not warmed up to the 992 yet. My T is way more fun to drive.

My next car would be a GT3 but I don't want one at $200K used or new.

Honestly, just depends on if you want a new car and what your tolerance is for repair bills vs car payments.

I am sure even with the market being good there is a giant gap between your trade and the new car.

And yes, you are getting a good trade in this economy I am sure. But you are also buying a used car at MSRP.

Pre covid craziness, getting 5% off a new Carrera built exactly as desired was pretty easy.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:23 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Keep your car.
Purchase a Fidelity Platinum warranty.

If you get the 992, you'll later wonder why you did and will likely regret letting your 991 go.

Fullyield (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 01:35 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

What specs for each car and what’s the difference in price?
Old 10-31-2021, 04:11 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
What specs for each car and what’s the difference in price?
specs are actually pretty close- both base C2. The price difference is about $65k...
Old 10-31-2021, 05:39 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Post this on the 992 forum and everyone will tell you what a POS the 991 is and why you should immediately move to a 992.....we are all biased here, it's like asking a kid tonight if they want candy......
The following 3 users liked this post by spiderv6:
George from MD (06-10-2022), Graufuchs (06-07-2022), jbendaou (06-07-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:01 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Post this on the 992 forum and everyone will tell you what a POS the 991 is and why you should immediately move to a 992.....we are all biased here, it's like asking a kid tonight if they want candy......
I think there's more than just a little truth in your comment.

I own a 997.2 and I love it. While many 997 owners disparage the 991 I clearly see the goodness in it.

I don't see the goodness in the 992...

Old 10-31-2021, 06:04 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
If you get the 992, you'll later wonder why you did and will likely regret letting your 991 go.
I'm actually curious how you arrived at this conclusion. I'm guessing anecdotal; you know a guy or read a forum post, etc.... because I can't wrap my head around how anyone could predict something as abstract as regret. For themselves, let alone for anyone else!

Originally Posted by spiderv6
This EXACTLY, 100000%. Chances are, anyone sticking around the 991 forums either doesn't like the 992, or can't justify the cost over the 991. So you will continue to receive these sorts of replies in here.

For me, all it took was to drive one. It also just happened to be on a racetrack. Unless you're just consumed by the lust for natural aspiration, the 992 is better in every conceivable way. I too was on the fence for the aesthetics and new interior tech/layout... I've gotten past that and even the 991.2 feels dated in comparison. I'm sure there are still bugs to work out, as I've been dealing with them in my 2020 Macan for 2 years now... but none of them have been anything more than minor quibbles (for me at least).

The adaptive sport seats alone are worth upgrading to... and also the sound of the 992 is somehow better than the 991.2. And let's be completely truthful here... the 991.1 is not the gold standard for automotive aural bliss. It's a solid 7.5/10, even with sports exhaust... something like an LFA or Huracan being a 10. The 992 is easily a 7/10 (991.2 being about a 6.75). That's subjective of course but... I think the majority of non-991.1 owners would agree.

Anyway, it is also priced accordingly for all the new advantages. It will be at least a $30-40k deficit, and this is assuming you have a pristine, low-mileage 991.1 appealingly optioned (GTS cars are going for crazy amounts from what I've seen, but only to the right market) and sell/trade at peak value. So that held me off for quite some time- and arguably, if I didn't also intend to make the 992 my daily driver and still insist on having 2 cars just for myself, I would still be sticking with the 991.2. But the comfort of the 992 is substantial enough to justify it, so I'll actually be saving money via consolidation from 2 cars to 1!

The buying used part though is a double-edged sword- it seems you found one in a great spec to fit your needs, which is great! But the cost is a tough pill to swallow... it's likely listed for MSRP or above for a used car; if it's not, don't waste time replying and just BUY IT.

For me though, the only way it makes sense is to get in line for an allocation and get exactly what I want. Which is easier said than done... and as more details emerge, it will be a long haul with possible surprises along the way... which is also very much a contributing factor to why used 911 prices are soaring right now.
jbendaou (06-07-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:11 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm actually curious how you arrived at this conclusion. I'm guessing anecdotal; you know a guy or read a forum post, etc.... because I can't wrap my head around how anyone could predict something as abstract as regret. For themselves, let alone for anyone else!
It's obvious if you read the words the OP's chosen in his original post...

Regret abstract? I think not.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:17 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Only you can decide the most important characteristics of a vehicle are for you. Speaking for myself, I have very little desire to own a 992 as I just don't like the sound of the turbo engines nearly as much. Now, if I happen to get extremely lucky and have the opportunity to order a 992 GT3 Touring at MSRP, we're talking about something altogether different... but that'll never happen, and I'm still not so sure I'd want to buy a vehicle that would cost 2.5x what my current 991.1 S is worth.

If I were buying a new Porsche right now, it'd have to be a Cayman GTS. But, not sure how I'd feel about buying a brand new car with an interior that debuted 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: Dilemma: Trade my 991.1 for the 992....