991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We drive a 911 because we simply can’t afford a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021 | 10:20 AM
Normal Guy SC
1st Gear

Thanks for watching the video. I think some of you missed the point. Oh, might I suggest toning down the personal insults, you're better than that.
The following 4 users liked this post by Normal Guy SC:
daveyator (02-08-2021), good2go (02-08-2021), Guards_Red_991 (02-08-2021), Wolpertinger (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 10:51 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Normal Guy SC
Oh, might I suggest toning down the personal insults, you're better than that.
This. I was disappointed to see some of the personal hatred and vitriol. No need for that. FWIW, I watch NGSC videos and have always found them entertaining, and an interesting peek into the Ferrari world. I have no interest in ever owning one, even if I had the money. Porsche was always my dream and I would pump Porsche's tires to the end of the world, but there's lots of room on the planet for enthusiasts of all makes. I don't recall Dan insulting any other enthusiasts on his videos.

Last edited by Wolpertinger; 02-08-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:05 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 737gdog
How many miles on your ‘16 T? I enjoy the fact the 911 is a more low profile car than an exotic as I am a low profile guy. Not looking for looks or random people showing me any interest. Appreciate your insight and the fact you drive them. Which would you choose to drive hard, beat on, track, maintain, take on a road trip etc.? Ferrari’s are works of art to me. Beautiful. I am just partial to German over Italian.
For a tour through the mountains, desert, even long trips -- I would take the Cali T. It has about 5,000 miles on it now.

For going to work, take the Targa. Top down on the way to work is hard to beat. I think the Targa is a simply amazing car. Love driving it around.

If in a hooligan mode, or going to our two local private tracks, I take the GT3. Not even close. I always come back from those drives with my heart racing. That doesn't happen post-Cali T or Targa drives.

Not sure this helps. Different strokes for different folks.

LOL at the guys that looked up this guy and his "whole life". The only time I toured the Ferrari factory (and wow what a great experience) there were cheezy American guys in our group who had bought their F355's 5th hand and had to be part of the "Ferrari Life". It was semi-pathetic. But good on them if it makes them feel like they have "arrived". Whatever that means. I know the Italians were laughing at us -- and for good reason.

Last edited by SB27; 02-08-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:09 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

I think some of you missed the point.
Would you care to explain what the point was? It sounds very elitist and somehow fails to connect with most of us P owners.

Are you sure we missed the point and not the other way around?

Last edited by Guards_Red_991; 02-08-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:14 AM
Carl Over
Instructor

Thanks for watching the video. I think some of you missed the point. Oh, might I suggest toning down the personal insults, you're better than that.
If the point was missed, then likely the point was not clearly made. So what was the point?

Did you specifically seek out the first year model 2010 458 for some reason? Or you could you not afford a newer one?😋

Last edited by Carl Over; 02-08-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:17 AM
Carl Over
Instructor

Originally Posted by SB27
For a tour through the mountains, desert, even long trips -- I would take the Cali T. It has about 5,000 miles on it now.

For going to work, take the Targa. Top down on the way to work is hard to beat. I think the Targa is a simply amazing car. Love driving it around.

If in a hooligan mode, or going to our two local private tracks, I take the GT3. Not even close. I always come back from those drives with my heart racing. That doesn't happen post-Cali T or Targa drives.

Not sure this helps. Different strokes for different folks.

LOL at the guys that looked up this guy and his "whole life". The only time I toured the Ferrari factory (and wow what a great experience) there were cheezy American guys in our group who had bought their F355's 5th hand and had to be part of the "Ferrari Life". It was semi-pathetic. But good on them if it makes them feel like they have "arrived". Whatever that means. I know the Italians were laughing at us -- and for good reason.
Americans are laughed at not infrequently. By many.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:18 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
an interesting peek into the Ferrari world.
This is it. Where else can I go get a real car guys inside look at Ferrari's? Every other youtuber is doing a build a month buy, install HRE's, widebody kit, sell, regurgitate. I want to see the nitty gritty. I don't have to agree with everything the person says to get enjoyment out of it.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:23 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Are you sure? https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...me-why-i-know/
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:25 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
My wife thinks Ferrari guys are the nicest men in the world. They are always driving their daughters around.
Hahahahahaha
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:31 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

If I could afford a Ferrari I'd be driving a Lambo lol.

I've also met plenty of folks at DE events who have both, and would never bring their Fezza to the track...
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:34 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Comments section in the video are closed.

More than likely the number one reason Ferrari owners don't drive their cars that often or put a ton of mileage on them is the fact that Ferrari owners look down on cars that have a lot of mileage on them and it really affects the value of the car. Pcars do as well to some extent, but not anywhere near as much as Ferrari owners.

Most of the "concerns" he states in the video are the same for every "car guy" when it comes to attention of the car and door dings etc. I owned a Velocity Yellow Z06 in 2006 when they were the "hot car" and got quite a bit of attention in that car. No, not as much as an exotic for sure, but a fair amount. Yes, I've driven in orange Lambos for extended time and that is just nuts the amount of attention they get. It's actually scary the way people drive around you.

TBH, I've driven a few Ferrari's and riden in some really nice cars. My first ride in a Ferrari was a 430 Scud and he drove the wheels off of that car (it was a while ago and it was his track toy - he also owns an F40 and 599 GTO). It was epic for sure.
If I were in the market to buy a car that was $150K, which I'm not, I would give a 458 a try to see how I liked it. But, in the end, it doesn't have a manual transmission option and I would more than likely go with a GT3 Touring. It's a very special car too.

I'm not a badge snob. I've owned BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes, VWs, Camaros, Firebirds and Jeeps over the years. If I like a car and I can afford it - I buy it and enjoy it. I actually owned a 2000 VW Golf GL with a 2.0 NA 4-cylinder with a 5-speed manual for 15 years and put 250K miles on it! It was a hoot to drive the crap out of that car. I also owned my Porsche Boxster and BMW 3-series at the same time, but I still enjoyed working that car to get the most out of it.

Now, I have a 991.2 C2 manual and LOVE it! It is a very special car and one that I can fit the family in.
Old 02-08-2021 | 12:33 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garfunkle
people who want a Ferrari + have the money = have one.
People who want a house + have the money = have one.
People who want to travel + have the money = travel.

We are not 20 years old, I think most of us have reached a point where we understand how life works. Watching this guy is like watching a TikTok video my teenage daughter would watch, just someone who decided to babble in front of his camera to then post it on his channel. It cheapens his brand and loses the audience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guards_Red_991:
Phattymcgee (02-09-2021), RSBro (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 03:05 PM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

I've had both a 360 and an F430 prior to my current 991.2 GTS. I afforded both cars but I frankly got "tired" of affording them. They seemed to have constant expensive problems and some of the problems were things you wouldn't put up with from a Toyota. For example it cost $1100 to fix/replace the electric switch for the drivers seat adjustment. There truly is nothing like driving a Ferrari but there's nothing like maintaining one either. Plus, and my wife has pointed this out too, I simply drive the Porsches more than I did the Ferraris. It's because I don't worry that the next $5000 dash light will come on after I start my Porsche.

Last edited by daveyator; 02-08-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 03:27 PM
php
Racer

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
My wife thinks Ferrari guys are the nicest men in the world. They are always driving their daughters around.

Laughed pretty hard on this one.
Old 02-08-2021 | 03:29 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

There is always someone that has more money, more attitude, more cars. Who cares? I'm on my 13th or 14th Porsche, I guess if I had a little more control I could have had and Fcar but I never really wanted one. Does not mean I don't love and appreciate what they are and how beautiful they can be. But in the end you buy what you like, have a passion for and yes, what you can afford. Porsche allows me to have a car I can drive daily, not be overly anxiety ridden when I park it, and know if I come up on an Fcar at a red light, sometimes, his best view of my Porsche will be the rear spoiler.
The following 5 users liked this post by Penn4S:
Captain_ (02-08-2021), daveyator (02-08-2021), malahhaor (03-06-2021), Rich_Jenkins (02-08-2021), SB27 (02-08-2021)

Quick Reply: We drive a 911 because we simply can’t afford a Ferrari