991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We drive a 911 because we simply can’t afford a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021 | 02:11 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Watched the vid. Mehhhhh. Dude just has a small pecker. Not sure any breaking news outside of that.
The following users liked this post:
Bud Taylor (03-06-2021)
Old 02-07-2021 | 02:13 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

So I have the $$ and just Dont want one, Guess the exceptions to his vid. Looking at all the models none of them make we want to leave my P cars. I get enough attention in my current cars, actually a bit more than I want. No way do I need the head turns those cars get.
Old 02-07-2021 | 02:44 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’ve daily driven various Porsches since 1990 — 911SCs, 3.2 Carreras, numerous 993s, 996s, 997, 991.1s, Boxster, Macan S and even an 87 930. Got my first Ferrari — F430 — in 2015, but also put 15k miles on a 2013 California 30 and now another 10k miles on a California T. Modern Ferraris are great cars and they are reliable. Can they have expensive problems? Sure. As can most 911s I’ve owned. Unlike Porsche, Ferrari will sell you a warranty for 15 years, regardless of where you bought the car. I’ve never had to use it for anything serious but it’s peace of mind. The Ferraris attract more attention, which I don’t like which is why my current one is black in color. You think twice about where you park them. But as much as I love my 911s, it is just more of an event driving the Ferrari. I’ve driven 991 Turbo S cabs two or three times, ready to trade, and as fast and perfect as those cars are, I got back in the Ferrari and couldn’t do it. Ideally, you have both. I will say that over on FChat you largely hear nothing but praise and congratulations when someone buys or puts a Porsche up for sale. Seems like people love to bash Ferraris elsewhere. Yes, they are expensive, parts are crazy prices, they have their foibles and the buttons get sticky (although I’ve had no issues with mine for 6 years and plenty of miles). Down deep, I would like to think that anyone who appreciates the heritage, performance and engineering that goes into a 911 would have an equal appreciation for any Ferrari and relish the opportunity to drive, or own one. I’m sure there will be another 911 in my garage in the future but I would no more look down upon a Ferrari than I would a Porsche, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren etc. etc. etc. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
ISPYA718 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021 | 03:08 PM
Mozella55
Instructor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
His fat ugly girlfriend is even more annoying (hard to believe thats possible).
https://www.quora.com/Are-all-Porsch...e-ones-Ive-met
Old 02-07-2021 | 03:53 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

LOL, he should have bought Porsche and used the rest of the money for some dental work.
Old 02-07-2021 | 04:05 PM
dd356
Racer

When you only have like 27 dealerships in the US, that is a bigger issue than anything and anyone who has owned them knows this. It's just to much of hassle unless you live in one of their markets to deal with it. It's one thing when your service is stupidly expensive, but another thing when there isn't even a business presence in the market your in. It's just to big a hassle for a toy.
Old 02-07-2021 | 05:02 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by drcollie
LOL, he should have bought Porsche and used the rest of the money for some dental work.
LOL
Old 02-07-2021 | 08:48 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Only ferrari that has my eye is a scuderia
Old 02-07-2021 | 08:50 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
F430 is/was fast like the 991.1 is/was fast. The new boosted stuff is just insane!

I think if you want the mid engine "exotic" experience the manual V10 R8 has to be the goldilocks in terms of value, reliability and experience. Just my opinion.
bingo, R8 v10 manual, amazing!
Old 02-07-2021 | 09:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dd356
When you only have like 27 dealerships in the US, that is a bigger issue than anything and anyone who has owned them knows this. It's just to much of hassle unless you live in one of their markets to deal with it. It's one thing when your service is stupidly expensive, but another thing when there isn't even a business presence in the market your in. It's just to big a hassle for a toy.
Agreed - luckily my friend that owns a Ferrari takes it to an independent that has good prices and good service, however the only downside is that It’s not in a great area.

Even with Porsche, I have 2 dealers within an hour of me, one is 15 mins from my house. I have 3 independent shops within an hour of my house that specialize in Porsche and an additional one that works on Porsche but specializes in VW/Audi. Even with that, servicing my car is always a bit stressful. I have to figure out how I’m going to get the car to and from the shop. How I’m going to get a ride back, etc. add into that winter time and salt and you’re almost best off paying to flat bed it to and from the shop. If you want to get it serviced in March/April before driving season, It’s almost guaranteed to be snowing still and tons of salt will be on the road. Porsche dealers charge much higher prices in my experience compared to independents and typically you’re getting less personalized work. So I end up choosing the independent. But then deal with no loaner in most cases so I’m now relying on a friend to take me back or Uber.

My point is, minimizing experiences within servicing to me is always key. So I want decent reliability and also a car that I at least have the option to just pay the higher price at the dealer and get the loaner which simplifies things. When you don’t at least have the option of paying the higher prices and going to the dealer that’s when it gets really difficult.
Old 02-07-2021 | 10:30 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Isn't this guy affiliated with European Auto Group in San Antonio? That's the company that does manual conversions of 360s and F430s. Their business practices appear to be sketchy as hell. There are many unhappy customers over on Ferrari Chat.

My horrible experience with EAG (European Auto Group), San Antonio

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 02-08-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2021 | 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Porsches, Ferraris, and other exotics are all some combination of toys, sculpture, status symbols, cod pieces, drug addiction, and maybe transportation. The balance might be different for brands, models, and owners, but the car has to actually run when desired.
The following 2 users liked this post by bkrantz:
Rich_Jenkins (02-08-2021), Zylinderkopfdichtung (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021 | 11:51 PM
good2go
Pro

deleted

Last edited by good2go; 02-08-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2021 | 12:00 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I like Dan and his videos, a real car guy. He has done a great job of demystifying Ferrari service and separating myth from reality. He does all his own work from major services to the simple oil change. He drives the ***** off his cars. He is helping produce manual transmission conversion kits for F430 and 599.

A lot more respect for that than the guy that pays Porsche dealers $500 for Mobil 1 oil changes.
Where did anyone say anything about the fact he changes his own oil?

"Respect" is a two-way street, right? If he's so awesome, why should he feel the need to articulate this dumbass response to troll commenters?

Originally Posted by jfischet
Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment
https://jalopnik.com/owning-a-ferrar...ent-1668355120

this paragraph says it all:
"And the other way to avoid these problems? A way to drive around worry-free in a fun, enjoyable, high-end sports car without attracting too much attention, or spending too much on maintenance, or scraping your bumper on every single driveway? A way you can use your car as more than just a toy, a way you can park it on the street, and use it for errands, and drive it to the store without sacrificing performance? Simple: just buy a Porsche."
That article is ancient, but so relevant.

Personal anecdote, I don't disagree that if I had the money I'd have a Ferrari. But is that really the point he's trying to make here? The underlying message is that generally, people with the means would most likely choose a Ferrari over a Porsche. And to a lesser extent, I'd agree. But as for which car I'd actually DRIVE, and live with? You just can't daily a Ferrari. BY DESIGN. This goes beyond "reliability", into practicality, and even perception by others when you drive it, or even when people know you own one. It literally could be bad for business. You could argue a Porsche could as well, but Ferrari is next-level for all the reasons I just listed.

I'm not the first one to make this point (obviously Doug made it back in 2014), but honestly it begins and ends there. A Ferrari is and always will be a "toy" in the truest sense of the word (possible exceptions of the Roma, not real sure what they're trying to do there...). A Porsche is unique in that it blends "exotic" with "usable".

This video is just one more weak attempt at this guy to justify how much of himself he's invested in owning a Ferrari... or even worse, he's just doing it "for clicks".
Old 02-08-2021 | 01:22 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Where did anyone say anything about the fact he changes his own oil?

"Respect" is a two-way street, right? If he's so awesome, why should he feel the need to articulate this dumbass response to troll commenters?

That article is ancient, but so relevant.

Personal anecdote, I don't disagree that if I had the money I'd have a Ferrari. But is that really the point he's trying to make here? The underlying message is that generally, people with the means would most likely choose a Ferrari over a Porsche. And to a lesser extent, I'd agree. But as for which car I'd actually DRIVE, and live with? You just can't daily a Ferrari. BY DESIGN. This goes beyond "reliability", into practicality, and even perception by others when you drive it, or even when people know you own one. It literally could be bad for business. You could argue a Porsche could as well, but Ferrari is next-level for all the reasons I just listed.

I'm not the first one to make this point (obviously Doug made it back in 2014), but honestly it begins and ends there. A Ferrari is and always will be a "toy" in the truest sense of the word (possible exceptions of the Roma, not real sure what they're trying to do there...). A Porsche is unique in that it blends "exotic" with "usable".

This video is just one more weak attempt at this guy to justify how much of himself he's invested in owning a Ferrari... or even worse, he's just doing it "for clicks".
I agree with this... I'd like to add from my personal experience that Ferrari owners (that I've been around) are nothing more than cheap *** geeks who are incredibly conscious about their money... To the point where money controls them and not the other way around... Is this true about all Ferrari owners? Absolutely not.

That's all I really have to say about that although there's more on my mind.. It's all been covered here...

If the guy in that video owned a 991 he'd be the guy to always drive with that wrinky dinky wing "up".

Quick Reply: We drive a 911 because we simply can’t afford a Ferrari