Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 03:07 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I don't think it's just the magical 991.1, even though its engine farts unicorn tears.

I was in the market for an Audi RS3 for over a year, and prices have gone up tremendously, from mid 40s to low-mid 50s for like model year, options, and mileage. Inventory is very low and buyers are particular for the RS3, so I think it's a decent comparison.

E36 and E92 M3s look to be the same. Also enthusiast cars with relatively low inventory.

Maybe it's just a bad time to buy a used car?
I bought my RS3 new last year in the beginning of the pandemic last year, when dealerships were desperate. Got 10k Canadian off MSRP. I've seen dealers now selling them used for more than what I paid new. Wish I bought a Porsche back then instead.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:12 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so my good spec may differ from your good spec........

But typically, the market seems to cater towards cars with more "sporty" options (PDCC, Sports Chrono, Sports PASM, rear axle steering, etc.), 18-ways, and full leather. That car I referenced pretty much had sports exhaust and entry and drive if I recall correctly.. Not enough to fetch a premium in my assessment (which is worth absolutely nothing, I realize, but is based on personal research and validated by... it.
Not necessarily pointing at you but I see a lot of “perfect spec” comments and agree with you that it depends which specifications you value. The site could benefit from a “Stop Perfect Spec. “ campaign.
The following 2 users liked this post by My991:
manifold danger (04-25-2021), ngamountains (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Not necessarily pointing at you but I see a lot of “perfect spec” comments and agree with you that it depends which specifications you value. The site could benefit from a “Stop Perfect Spec. “ campaign.
+1 on that! specs are in the eye of the beholder. I went with a basic spec not because I couldnt afford a "higher spec" car I just wouldnt use sport chrono, sport suspension (not on IL streets...), more power, etc for the driving I do. I did get the nicer wheels, steering wheel, metal sunroof I wanted, and tech package- the things I would use.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:34 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Originally Posted by Andy515
+1 on that! specs are in the eye of the beholder. I went with a basic spec not because I couldnt afford a "higher spec" car I just wouldnt use sport chrono, sport suspension (not on IL streets...), more power, etc for the driving I do. I did get the nicer wheels, steering wheel, metal sunroof I wanted, and tech package- the things I would use.
I suppose but in a thread specifically talking about market values, it's pretty relevant what features the car has and some "specs" trend more valuable than others.

For example, I wouldn't have bought my car if it didn't have literally everything I wanted (except for entry and drive... I do miss that). I would have stalled and waited til one came along that met my criteria... actually I did just that for the better part of 6 months or more but just wasn't in a steaming hurry to buy because I was quite happy with my 981 Boxster GTS.

Today... if I just had to have a 911 I'd probably loosen my criteria just a bit to be honest. Inventory does seem to be critically low.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Aloha....looks like great fun....
Old 04-25-2021, 04:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

+1 on that! specs are in the eye of the beholder. I went with a basic spec not because I couldn't afford a "higher spec" car I just wouldnt use sport chrono, sport suspension (not on IL streets...), more power, etc for the driving I do. I did get the nicer wheels, steering wheel, metal sunroof I wanted, and tech package- the things I would use.
"specs are in the eye of the beholder." This comment resonates with me. Prior to the soon to be delivered 2013 991, I had a 2015 Cayman GTS PDK/sports Chrono, Sports Suspension -20mm, Sport Exhaust and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with Mechanical LSD. These were my must have Options. Looked long, far and wide before I found the perfect car, low miles 12,000 miles. PDK in Oxford White.

Sports Chrono...loved it, but it encouraged me "punch it" on one too many occasions....could that have been good for the PDK? Probably not. I did keep the car is Sport Mode, unless I was at the track...then Sport +***, loved the pops and crackles on deceleration. Having AiM can data I could see that in deceleration mode with the accelerator in the full up position, the car was still administrating about 5% gas, optimizing the deceleration pops and crackles. The Sound Tube piping engine noise into the cabin as a little phony. I meant to plug it but never got around to it.

Cayman GTS came with Sport Suspension -20 mm...that car was low, looked evil. It drove as if on "rails" at the track. The down side, on rough roads, that is most of CA, you'd feel it. The PTV seemed to be contributing to my track driving...I probably had some saves. Shot the rear calipers with a an infrared heat gun post track session, those calipers did warm up, but it didn't seem to be terminal. As we know, The 2013 Carrera S comes with PASM & PTV, I am hoping that it comes with a mechanical LSD like the 2015 Cayman GTS, but I doubt it.

Overall the Cayman GTS options were ideal for that car....it was primarily track, with very few street miles. But I never 100% clicked with the car, just too confining in that small cabin....realizing that was the trade off for mid-engine placement. On a smooth road, care needed to be taken on speed, with minimal encouragement, the car would be at 90 MPH. I got no tickets with this car.

*** I read (somewhere) with a PDK Sport Mode, the ECU with the driver mashing the accelerator, allows the car to accelerate the car in a "Soft" mode as it approaches Red One, which makes bouncing off the Rev Limiter impossible. In Sport + mode, the car approaches Red Line in a "Hard Mode" and supposedly it is possible to get an over-rev that will show up on a DME report. Is this factual? Who knows....but when buying a car with Sports Chrono (Whenever that becomes possible), one might consider a DME report...not that tough to get off a PIWIS computer (I think that is how you get the DME report.)

My conclusion, 991 cars are awesome with minimal options, after all, you get PASM and PTV for free. Options are provided to help create incremental revenue for Porsche and provide allure to prospective buyers. Options loaded 991 cars appear a little sexier to me than "lesser" equipped models, I confess.

I started thinking, what Options must I have, and what can I live without? in my case, PDK and Sport Exhaust....had to have them. I am done with rowing through the gears, especially in traffic. Everything else would be "gravy".

The greater the # of options that the buyer MUST HAVE, the tougher it will be to find that "dream car". If one has all the time in the world, for sure, keep looking, the chase is fun. I had sold my Cayman GTS, was Porsche(less), not a good place to be. Even my wife agrees with the.

I did find a car I liked, albeit lacking Sport Chrono and PASM Sport with the 20mm drop that I had on my 2015 Cayman GTS. As we have discovered, Sports Chrono is a deal killer at a Porsche dealer with the STOP SALE order from PCNA. Me getting a car with Sport Chrono became a moot point. I can live without the 20mm drop, getting in and out of the car is easier, and the standard suspension will smooth out some of the roads.

Decisions, decisions...did I want to look for additional days, weeks, maybe months to find the perfect car, and when I found it, could I afford it? In my dreams I would love to have a 991 GTS with the factory aero package...very rare, and with deaL killing Sport Chrono, and now out of my budget with this crazy market.

Voila, I found the car pictured below. It does have PDK and Sport Exhaust, comes stock with PTV and basic PASM, has sun top delete and an additional engine cooling package for hot climates. I have yet to find out exactly what comes with this engine cooling option. 35,000 miles, one owner and CPO. It's on its way to me...the Cayman GTS was sold...3.8 motor with 400 HP, 3.100 Lbs, what's not to like said I? Plenty of comfort options too.

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-25-2021 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vtgt (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

great build....if you really wanted minimal, you would have that manual transmission

Old 04-25-2021, 05:57 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
great build....if you really wanted minimal, you would have that manual transmission
huh? MT is maximal.
spiderv6 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 06:13 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What, you don't rip down Elmwood, Ashland, Linden or Chestnut?
Enjoy the new ride.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:41 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Check this out....
Some days you just wake up on the wrong side of the rabbit hole.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Check this out....
Old 04-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 449 Posts

Surely a Honda fanboy would happily pay that for a yellow Civic vs. a decently optioned 992 C2S.

Even the most ardent fans of the Type R would never pay this. That’s a very clean 1st gen NSX money and almost new 2nd gen NSX money.

I’d love to meet the person who buys this, I’ve got a few business propositions for them.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:47 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

i thought it was a joke,,is this for real
Old 04-25-2021, 10:45 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

At least they don't sugar coat it by calling it an "Additional Dealer Markup." Additional Dealer Profit - tell it as it is.
Freddie Two Bs (04-25-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 01:35 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Check this out....
very real chance that’s a “we aren’t interested in selling it price.”I noticed dealers started doing this on the new Supra. They would mark the cars up 100k knowing full well it was an unrealistic price for the car. Usually the dealer owners prefer to keep the cars as showroom pieces for a while so they set a very high price point. They have no intention of actually selling, but they wouldn’t turn 120k away, you know?

I recall one Toyota dealer turning away 130k offers on their 160k listed Supra limited edition they had in the showroom. I’d say 130k is way above the cap for a mass produced Z4, but they still turned it down. They were trying to drum up interest on their dealership and it worked.
manifold danger (04-26-2021)

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now