Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie 2017 Porsche 911 4s owner (rough start on forum)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:09 AM
Nu2me911T
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Snowflakely but why not just cover all the bases. For example, 911 for sport, BMW for comfort, SUV for utility. Works for me.
haha I have exactly these three! It’s perfect!
The following users liked this post:
Gary JR (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 03:51 AM
seihackguei
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome! I just purchased my 991.2 C4S in the beginning of October! I'm sure we're all learning and even the more tenured Rennlist Members have things they might not know either! That's why there's a Forum! For everyone to share data and learn from each other. I have P. Zeros that came with the car and yes its noticeably loud compared to other cars but I usually put it in Sport mode and it really doesnt bother me. However I did invest in some Michelin Alpin PA4's for the winter.... We'll see how that goes! Small ya later!
Johndani (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

I forgot to mention to check the tire pressure, should have thought of that. I left the dealership for the long two days back to Tampa from NY, to discover they'd filled the rears up to 44 psi. Wow no wonder it felt ah firm. I let it down to the "comfort" pressure like others have suggested and it made a world of difference.

If you are coming from BMWs and are new to Porsches, and 991.2s in particular, you might be looking for a Bentley manual. I used to use one for my E46. The closest (and actually pretty interesting) document I've seen is this pdf posted here by member @Option Plus with a detailed overview of all the changes introduced in the model year Generation II 991:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1145...l#post16051467
Johndani (11-19-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:51 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Porsche. I'm a lot like you - I had three consecutive BMWs over the span of 15 years, the last one being an F10 5 series that was essentially a Lexus. Never skipped a beat the whole time I had it but boring. I was so disillusioned with BMW's products that when that lease was up I bought a Tahoe to go a totally different direction. I love the Tahoe, by the way - it could be the best execution against the purpose it's intended for of any car I've had. And notably, the "cheap" Chevy MMI interface turns out to be way better than anything I've seen from BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche. I'll be keeping the Tahoe indefinitely.

Last weekend I bought a 991.1 C4S and drove it home all the way from St. Louis to Denver. I-70 over that stretch contains every possible variety of road condition, from new and pristine just west of Kansas City to washboard ugly in eastern Colorado.

The Porsche is loud as hell, at least by comparison to any normal car. It's not just you. I'm fine with it, but partially because I can always take the Tahoe if I'm looking for a serene experience. Or my wife's C300, which is somewhere in between. Rest assured though that your 991.2 is a fantastic piece of engineering though, and that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by WJGreer; 11-20-2020 at 12:56 PM.
AlexCeres (11-21-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 08:25 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Porsche. I'm a lot like you - I had three consecutive BMWs over the span of 15 years, the last one being an F10 5 series that was essentially a Lexus. Never skipped a beat the whole time I had it but boring. I was so disillusioned with BMW's products that when that lease was up I bought a Tahoe to go a totally different direction. I love the Tahoe, by the way - it could be the best execution against the purpose it's intended for of any car I've had. And notably, the "cheap" Chevy MMI interface turns out to be way better than anything I've seen from BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche. I'll be keeping the Tahoe indefinitely.

Last weekend I bought a 991.1 C4S and drove it home all the way from St. Louis to Denver. I-70 over that stretch contains every possible variety of road condition, from new and pristine just west of Kansas City to washboard ugly in eastern Colorado.

The Porsche is loud as hell, at least by comparison to any normal car. It's not just you. I'm fine with it, but partially because I can always take the Tahoe if I'm looking for a serene experience. Or my wife's C300, which is somewhere in between. Rest assured though that your 991.2 is a fantastic piece of engineering though, and that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. Enjoy the ride.
wow so funny almost the same situation. I have a 2019 Ford F-150 xlt sport nothing fancy but drives Beautiful and soft. It’s a great change but I’ve been using the Porsche everyday and now loving it. I lower the air pressure and it’s so much better. It’s. A great daily driver. I’m actually very happy I went with the pdk tranny. Lots of luck with the new car and thanks for the reply
The following 3 users liked this post by Johndani:
AlexCeres (11-21-2020), enzotcat (11-20-2020), WJGreer (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 02:28 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Johndani
I have noticed this 991 forum has been so great. Everyone so nice. BTW I think wit got them upset on 992 forum is I mentioned I came out of BMW. I know not to say that anymore
lol. A great many of us came out of BMW. There are I think some hurt feelings that even the M cars are better suited to cross shopping with a Panamera than a 911.
Johndani (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:32 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Johndani
I have noticed this 991 forum has been so great. Everyone so nice. BTW I think wit (sic) got them upset on 992 forum is I mentioned I came out of BMW. I know not to say that anymore
No, plenty of us also like our BMWs.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:18 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
lol. A great many of us came out of BMW. There are I think some hurt feelings that even the M cars are better suited to cross shopping with a Panamera than a 911.
BMW has definitely changed their philosophy in the last 10-12 years. They used to specialize in slightly high-strung sport sedans that were well-executed to a specific purpose but maybe not for everyone. Now, they want to market upscale vehicles to the masses, provided the masses are willing to pay 30-40% more on their lease payments. The cars are better built, more reliable, and faster than ever before, but certainly also softer.

My personal sample was a 2001 E53 X5 (very good), an E60 545 5 series (excellent), and an F10 535 xDrive 5 series (bulletproof but very soft). I found myself in a brand new Toyota Camry as an Uber a while back and it occurred to me that the car was using the exact same design template as that F10 and possibly executing on it better.

I don't judge, it's worked for BMW, it's just not a sport sedan anymore and not what I want. I would consider an X5 again if I were to downsize my SUV choice from the Tahoe I have now - although the Kia Telluride is a very compelling product and I am not joking.

I've heard great things about the 2 series and considered driving one before I bought my 991. Could have bought a M2 new for less money than a 2016 C4S. I wanted a Porsche though.

Last edited by WJGreer; 11-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Johndani (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:22 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Johndani, welcome to RL, Porsche, and most importantly, the 911. Your 991.2 is beautiful. Plz post some interior pics when you get a chance. The 18 way sport seats are the bomb, and I can only imagine the gauges and SC in yellow to accent those awesome PCCBs on the outside. I’m happy the tire pressure reduction has made a noticeable difference in noise and ride comfort. As for snarky comments, it is rare here but happens. Hope you enjoy your 911 in good health. Drive it often!
AlexCeres (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:53 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Johndani, welcome to RL, Porsche, and most importantly, the 911. Your 991.2 is beautiful. Plz post some interior pics when you get a chance. The 18 way sport seats are the bomb, and I can only imagine the gauges and SC in yellow to accent those awesome PCCBs on the outside. I’m happy the tire pressure reduction has made a noticeable difference in noise and ride comfort. As for snarky comments, it is rare here but happens. Hope you enjoy your 911 in good health. Drive it often!
thank you so much. I’ll take some pics of the interior tomorrow I’m the day light.

Quick Reply: Newbie 2017 Porsche 911 4s owner (rough start on forum)