Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie 2017 Porsche 911 4s owner (rough start on forum)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
John: Porsche also want to make the car feel sporty so the dampers are set firmly. If you want to smooth out the ride on the concrete bridges there in Tampa, get a DSC sport suspension module. Best investment.
https://www.dscsport.com

tires- need Michelin Sport 4S for Tampa rainy days. Consider lower tire pressure to comfort, ie 34-35 front and 36-38 psi when warm. Cold morning Start about 3-4 psi lower
I just lowered the pressure they were 40 front 48 rear when cold. I went to 30 front and 36 rear. I’ll keep you posted thanks for all the help.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johndani:
981KMAN (11-18-2020), Rich_Jenkins (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 06:22 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

From my experience, my 2018 C4S manual is a fun car for backroads and reasonably tolerable for highway driving. It IS noisy and changing tires to Michelins help only marginally. Ride comfort is quite good with comfort pressure. I’m in my fourth year of ownership and the car has been dead reliable. As a sports car, I think it is quite remarkable that Porsche is able to deliver such a refined driving experience (except for tire noise) and excellent handling in such a useable package. In the 992, noise-reducing glass is an option so I am guessing Porsche understands that 911s do generate a lot of road noise.
Should also mention that I run winter tires mounted on 19 inch wheels for 4-5 months of the year and they are quieter than my summer Michelins. I spoke to the service manager (seems knowledgeable) at the local dealer and he attributed a lot of the noise to the tread pattern and summer compound of the Michelins. Don't know if that is true.

Last edited by subwoofer; 11-17-2020 at 06:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johndani (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:12 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Oh my, look what was next to your new, silver Porsche. Who did that to that poor Cayenne Coupe? It got pink-bombed.

Good, I wasn't the only one that noticed that thing.

Gorgeous 911.
Johndani (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Good, I wasn't the only one that noticed that thing.

Gorgeous 911.
The funny thing is when we went to pick up the car I told my wife the pink one is what I bought lol
The following 3 users liked this post by Johndani:
Icebreaker (11-17-2020), manifold danger (11-17-2020), RobC4sX51 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

You and I are in the same boat- I also have a 2017 C4S in GT Silver and came from a BMW F10 550ix. The 550ix was an incredible car- I liked it so much that I bought a 2020 M550 (G30) to replace it. But as you've found , the 911 is a very different experience. It is much noisier, not just from the tires but also the lack of sound insulation. No easy way (other than ear plugs) of getting around that. Of course the ride is also much stiffer, but that is part of the 911 "experience". I love both cars because they are so different and yet so capable in their own ways. The Michelins will slightly improve road noise. The improvement in ride quality compared to the Pirellis was more noticeable. As others have stated, lowering the tire pressure also helps a lot. I use 28/34 in summer and 32/38 in colder temps.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:36 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Hah, '17 C4S GT Silver gang represent!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kuma1416
You and I are in the same boat- I also have a 2017 C4S in GT Silver and came from a BMW F10 550ix. The 550ix was an incredible car- I liked it so much that I bought a 2020 M550 (G30) to replace it. But as you've found , the 911 is a very different experience. It is much noisier, not just from the tires but also the lack of sound insulation. No easy way (other than ear plugs) of getting around that. Of course the ride is also much stiffer, but that is part of the 911 "experience". I love both cars because they are so different and yet so capable in their own ways. The Michelins will slightly improve road noise. The improvement in ride quality compared to the Pirellis was more noticeable. As others have stated, lowering the tire pressure also helps a lot. I use 28/34 in summer and 32/38 in colder temps.
so you have both now?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome John! Your car looks like it was well ordered and well bought. Congratulations. I know you will like it. I know we all want you to enjoy it thoroughly.
I too cringe when the car starts moving and I can hear the road rash sandblasting the wheel wells and wheel arches. I will never get use to that sound. I have P-Zeros on my '18 and they love to fling stones as well as sing. I will migrate to Michelin next summer. All the advice you have been receiving here is spot on. I think adjusting your tire pressure will add to your comfort a lot. Noise reduction in my car dropped a lot when I added some foam inserts to expand the rear parcel shelf to carry my dog and larger parcels. I wasn't looking for that, but it was a nice bonus. It didn't add any weight either. Here are some pictures to help explain:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1200...ification.html

When you get some miles on your car, you will undoubtedly get some paint chips. Before I added film, I got a few that were really deep. You could see the white paint "primer?" underneath. Anyway, with your expertise in the car business, could you possibly post some thoughts on how to fill/level and blend Porsche paint chips once you experience this issue? I've had Mercedes, RR, Subaru and Saabs that didn't chip like this Porsche. Best of luck and welcome aboard!
Old 11-17-2020, 09:54 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Welcome John! Your car looks like it was well ordered and well bought. Congratulations. I know you will like it. I know we all want you to enjoy it thoroughly.
I too cringe when the car starts moving and I can hear the road rash sandblasting the wheel wells and wheel arches. I will never get use to that sound. I have P-Zeros on my '18 and they love to fling stones as well as sing. I will migrate to Michelin next summer. All the advice you have been receiving here is spot on. I think adjusting your tire pressure will add to your comfort a lot. Noise reduction in my car dropped a lot when I added some foam inserts to expand the rear parcel shelf to carry my dog and larger parcels. I wasn't looking for that, but it was a nice bonus. It didn't add any weight either. Here are some pictures to help explain:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1200...ification.html

When you get some miles on your car, you will undoubtedly get some paint chips. Before I added film, I got a few that were really deep. You could see the white paint "primer?" underneath. Anyway, with your expertise in the car business, could you possibly post some thoughts on how to fill/level and blend Porsche paint chips once you experience this issue? I've had Mercedes, RR, Subaru and Saabs that didn't chip like this Porsche. Best of luck and welcome aboard!
wow that was very creative nice job!!
As for the paint chips are you saying you put the film over the chips or am I not understanding?
Old 11-17-2020, 10:26 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Johndani
so you have both now?
Yes, although the 911 will be going into hibernation soon. The M550 is pretty incredible in snow (with proper snow tires of course)
Johndani (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 10:38 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
This vid was interesting, and inspired me to buy one of these pens. I never ended up using it though, I just had the guy who did my ceramic coating fill in two large chips in the hood and fender. But this was a cool vid nonetheless, and I enjoy watching Larry's (ammo nyc) vids so maybe I can turn a few people on to his channel:

jimwood (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Welcome!

First, outstanding choice of color--truly classic Porsche.

Second, don't mind the crabby or snarky feedback on Rennlist. Most of us are fun most of the time.

Third, I don't think you are at all misguided in wanting a 991 as a reasonably comfortable GT. That was my goal and is my primary use. Like others, I have worked a bit to quiet the cabin. See my thread about adding sound insulation in the rear wheel wells and in the doors.
The following 3 users liked this post by bkrantz:
Johndani (11-17-2020), Rich_Jenkins (11-18-2020), SFernando (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 10:57 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Hello everyone. I got off to a not so great experience on this forum. I originally posted on the wrong area first of all I was just inquiring about road noise and how I came from a BMW m550. Most replies were nice but some ripped me for not knowing what I was getting into and outright insulting me. I’m hoping to redeem myself after all all I did was buy a car. Yes I’m not a pure Porsche enthusiast atleast not yet. Anyway I do know cars and actually I am in the car business and built some beautiful cars. As the tittle says I’m a newbie to Porsche. I always loved the way they looked. I recently stopped at the dealer and saw this CPO 2017 911 4S. I drive it and loved it. I didn’t really spend much time driving it on the highway at higher speeds and for that I guess I was hasty because I didn’t hear the road noise. I guess I didn’t do enough research before I pulled the trigger. I just knew it was a Porsche and know they have a great name And and really how much Research do I have to do. And yes I know it’s a lot of money. I did t want to lose the car because it only has 10k mikes and it’s like brand new. Anyway some of the replies like I said were outright nasty but some were very nice and helped me and pointed me in the direction of new tires. They mentioned that the Michelin ps4s might help a lot with road noise. I now have pzeros. The reason I’m posting again is to first of all be in the right section of the forums. I believe I am now since I have a 2017. I’m embarrassed to mention I’m assuming my car is considered a 991 or 991.2 (if someone can help me with this) I Did not buy this car for prestige like some said on the last posts. I always had nice cars I just love cars. I was tired of the BMW 4 doors and don’t like there 2 doors. I wanted a coupe. I also wanted a hard top and a car I can use as a dd unless weather is bad. (I have an f150 as well if needed) I’m just looking for some positive posts to reinsure I didn’t get to hasty and I’m sure these are amazing cars and I want to learn more about them. I don’t know why some need to abuse people that don’t have a 100 years of experience and knowledge about a subject. Like I should have researched this to death. I don’t believe this is life or death and I don’t live that way. Thanking everyone in advance.
I did the exact same thing. I ha e come to really appreciate the Porsche. I drive it daily sun, rain or snow. It’s what I love most about the car is you can drive it.

you can tune it, drive it daily as well as take it to the track.

Don’t let anyone get you down.

enjoy the car.
Johndani (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:04 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

wow that was very creative nice job!!
As for the paint chips are you saying you put the film over the chips or am I not understanding?
Sorry... communication is not my forte. I got a few small, but deep chips. I had the car in heated winter storage, so I used Dr. Colorchip to fill the chips while taking my time. I had done this successfully on other cars. However, these chips never filled, even after numerous attempts. I then used a toothpick and paint from a Porsche paint pen. Still not great. Anyway, I don't wish anybody rock chips, but if you find yourself patching one in your travels, maybe you can document the repair for us. Many thanks John!
Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

30psi seems a little too low. Note, too many starts with low tire pressure could trigger chassis suspension fault in the dash. FYI
Johndani (11-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Newbie 2017 Porsche 911 4s owner (rough start on forum)