Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie 2017 Porsche 911 4s owner (rough start on forum)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Sorry... communication is not my forte. I got a few small, but deep chips. I had the car in heated winter storage, so I used Dr. Colorchip to fill the chips while taking my time. I had done this successfully on other cars. However, these chips never filled, even after numerous attempts. I then used a toothpick and paint from a Porsche paint pen. Still not great. Anyway, I don't wish anybody rock chips, but if you find yourself patching one in your travels, maybe you can document the repair for us. Many thanks John!
well finally here’s a subject I do have plenty of experience with the fact I own auto body shops. Paint chips are a pain. The only real way to fix them is to re paint the complete panel. However some colors are better than others if you do not choose the re painting option. The color means a lot. So like a solid black or any solid color without Metallic is always easier to touch up. You don’t need those paint pens. Any body shop can make you the correct touch up paint fir your car (I should say most good body shops) then when you have the touch up you need patience again this works way better with solid colors. Metallics flow out and dry darker. So what you do it have the body shop do is touch up the chips. If there’s a ton of them this won’t work. Let the touch up dry a day or so and then realest process and keep building it up. Once it’s high enough the shop or you would wet sand with a 3000 grit to make even and then you have to buff and polish. Sounds harder than it is. Not you should put clear coat touch up as well before you wet sand and polish. I would recommend a professional to do this whole process unless you have experience with a Buffer. But again if you car is like mine being silver this won’t work to well. Also as dumb as it might seem is to limit stoke chips. You have to keep your distance at high speeds like on the highway stay back. You can will go fast but always keep distance this makes a huge difference. This car I just purchased has the protective film. This is something I personally never do on any of my cars because I like to wax real paint and I always have the luxury of re paining if needed. But sits there and I’ll keep. Not sure if that’s a Porsche oem film or not but it’s there. Hope this helps and I’m sure there’s Tons of stuff on you tube but again if you get an honest body shop they should steer you in the right direction.
The following 3 users liked this post by Johndani:
edirtaynine (11-18-2020), Icebreaker (11-17-2020), Rich_Jenkins (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:24 PM
dngo
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new 911! So funny - I thought that the dealership looked familiar, then I saw the pink car and that confirmed it. If you live in the area, I’m sure we will meet eventually at a local Cars and Coffee or PCA event. I assume you joined Jersey Shore PCA?

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Johndani (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:24 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Johndani
I just lowered the pressure they were 40 front 48 rear when cold. I went to 30 front and 36 rear. I’ll keep you posted thanks for all the help.
Hey John! Congrats on the Porsche, and ignore the cretins who feel like they have to grandstand.

The cold comfort partial loaded pressure for the 991.2 C2S is 29 front, 32 rear. This is documented in the owner’s manual (which is no longer available online because, um, well, Porsche NA). Unfortunately Porsche decided to put the max load full pressure settings on the door jamb, which is completely asinine of them. You can use the multifunction stalk to go to your tire pressure page, select it, then select “Comfort Pressure”, and *deselect* “full load”. You really, really, really don’t want much higher than that. Even 36 in the rear cold is too much - you will be way too tail happy, and that’s not really a good thing. I’ve found that a pressure differential of 3 psi between front and rear tires is the best, especially given the rear engine location.

btw: fabulous car and spec. All that has been said above w.r.t. noise in the car is also true - this is definitely not a tomb-quiet mode of transportation; engine noise and road noise definitely intrude, but to my mind that just enhances the driving experience. I don’t think it was ever designed to be a vault-like experience in terms of sound isolation. However, everything is relative - compared to a 981 Cayman GTS from whence I came, I’m actually disappointed in how quiet the 991.2 actually is, particularly the anemic sounding exhaust.
Stevelev (11-20-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:59 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dngo
Welcome and congrats on the new 911! So funny - I thought that the dealership looked familiar, then I saw the pink car and that confirmed it. If you live in the area, I’m sure we will meet eventually at a local Cars and Coffee or PCA event. I assume you joined Jersey Shore PCA?

Dave
that is funny. I live now in Toms River, 21 years in manalapan before that... I joined PCA today. Hope to meet you around the area.
SFernando (11-21-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:00 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

OP, it might also help to share your configuration (options list), and though I have owned a few cars that had protection film (that stuff should be removed and replaced at least every 5 years), I am not a fan of that type of product either. People approach car ownership (like almost everything else) differently. To me cars are merely (much to my Ferrari owning brethren) a machine. They have no soul, just parts, and like all machines they break, they can be fixed, and (most importantly), they can be made better. I also believe that if you drive a sports car with the nannies, you are never really going to know what you and the car can do together. This is were the lawyers would put in a bunch of wording that this should be done on a closed course with a professional driver, but you can do something simple and safe to try this. Go to a large parking lot when empty (I use a large office park not far from my office building), set up cones (I use flags with suction cups they can be bought online), and start out putting them in a straight line abut 40' apart. Then turn off the traction controls (it helps if you use the timer) and see how fast (and how close you can come to the cones) you can take the car through weaving in and out of the cones The first time will be your baseline, then try to get the time down a few seconds with each time. The car may seem to almost fight back but that is normal. This may sound simple and easy but it is not, and it will teach you a lot about the way the car handles and your own skill. Believe it or not what you learn from this might save you from an accident or worse. I do this with every sports car I have owned (in the last 20 years at least), mostly to make sure that I can still drive, but also to see if there are any modifications needed to the steering and suspension. I have said this many times cars are adult tinker toys to me and that means I like to take them apart and put them back together. It is nice that you are getting a warm welcome to the forum and the brand. Enjoy, stay safe, and Happy Thanksgiving.
Johndani (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 09:01 AM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
OP, it might also help to share your configuration (options list), and though I have owned a few cars that had protection film (that stuff should be removed and replaced at least every 5 years), I am not a fan of that type of product either. People approach car ownership (like almost everything else) differently. To me cars are merely (much to my Ferrari owning brethren) a machine. They have no soul, just parts, and like all machines they break, they can be fixed, and (most importantly), they can be made better. I also believe that if you drive a sports car with the nannies, you are never really going to know what you and the car can do together. This is were the lawyers would put in a bunch of wording that this should be done on a closed course with a professional driver, but you can do something simple and safe to try this. Go to a large parking lot when empty (I use a large office park not far from my office building), set up cones (I use flags with suction cups they can be bought online), and start out putting them in a straight line abut 40' apart. Then turn off the traction controls (it helps if you use the timer) and see how fast (and how close you can come to the cones) you can take the car through weaving in and out of the cones The first time will be your baseline, then try to get the time down a few seconds with each time. The car may seem to almost fight back but that is normal. This may sound simple and easy but it is not, and it will teach you a lot about the way the car handles and your own skill. Believe it or not what you learn from this might save you from an accident or worse. I do this with every sports car I have owned (in the last 20 years at least), mostly to make sure that I can still drive, but also to see if there are any modifications needed to the steering and suspension. I have said this many times cars are adult tinker toys to me and that means I like to take them apart and put them back together. It is nice that you are getting a warm welcome to the forum and the brand. Enjoy, stay safe, and Happy Thanksgiving.

original sticker showing options
Old 11-18-2020, 11:33 AM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

original sticker showing options
you can also use https://vinanalytics.com/ and enter your vin in there to see the list of options. that way you wont need to pull out the original monroney label each time you wanna see your options list too.
Johndani (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
you can also use https://vinanalytics.com/ and enter your vin in there to see the list of options. that way you wont need to pull out the original monroney label each time you wanna see your options list too.
thank you
Old 11-18-2020, 12:26 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 189 Posts

Welcome! That's a great spec and a nice looking car.

I've noticed on Rennlist there are a few 'hot button' issues that will get people's knickers in a twist real fast, but I would never have guessed road noise would be one of those.

In general I've found the 991 board to be really friendly and welcoming on the whole!
Johndani (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ducktails
Welcome! That's a great spec and a nice looking car.

I've noticed on Rennlist there are a few 'hot button' issues that will get people's knickers in a twist real fast, but I would never have guessed road noise would be one of those.

In general I've found the 991 board to be really friendly and welcoming on the whole!
I have noticed this 991 forum has been so great. Everyone so nice. BTW I think wit got them upset on 992 forum is I mentioned I came out of BMW. I know not to say that anymore
Old 11-18-2020, 01:21 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

So I dropped the air pressure to 30 I’m front and 36 in rear and like o wrote last night it was low 40 and 50 prior. So high. Anyway temperature was about 45 degrees this morning and I went for test drive. What a world of a difference I can’t even begin to tell you how much of an improvement. I mean there is still road noise but it’s like normal now. And the ride so improved. I mean it’s a little soft but I can always put it sport suspension mode. I’m so happy and I do t even change the tired to the Michelin’s yet. Atleast now I can hopefully out like 10k miles on these things. Thank you everyone you have all been great. Making this whole experience so much better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johndani:
edirtaynine (11-18-2020), Rich_Jenkins (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 01:45 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

So I dropped the air pressure to 30 I’m front and 36 in rear and like o wrote last night it was low 40 and 50 prior. So high. Anyway temperature was about 45 degrees this morning and I went for test drive. What a world of a difference I can’t even begin to tell you how much of an improvement. I mean there is still road noise but it’s like normal now. And the ride so improved. I mean it’s a little soft but I can always put it sport suspension mode. I’m so happy and I do t even change the tired to the Michelin’s yet. Atleast now I can hopefully out like 10k miles on these things. Thank you everyone you have all been great. Making this whole experience so much better.
Awesome! Now drop the rear pressures to 33 cold - see my above post.
Johndani (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 02:45 PM
Johndani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Awesome! Now drop the rear pressures to 33 cold - see my above post.
I just re read I’ll follow along I’m sure it will be even better. Thank you
Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Johndani ... I didn’t read all the responses here so maybe others have said this but the surprise of a 911 being so loud is completely understandable if you haven’t been in one before, not only road noise but also how about in the neighborhood all the rocks slamming around the wheel wells ...some have talked about adding sound deafening to the car do a search and you’ll get some good suggestions ... me ... I have had loud sports cars forever so it is normal to me .. I also have 2019 540 Msport with a 2021 M550 on order ... these are totally different cars like you already figured out.

Sorry your first experience here was negative, overall this is a really great board ... also your car is beautiful .. enjoy and lots of good luck with it !!

Last edited by AF330i; 11-18-2020 at 08:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AF330i:
AlexCeres (11-21-2020), Johndani (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 09:25 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
i've been on Rennlist a long time - 18 years. There is definitely a snarky attitude from some of the members here, and i cannot tell you why that is. You are less inclined to run into that over on 6-Speed on-line however there is less Porsche content there. On FerrariChat for example, those confrontational kind of posts that populate Rennlist are largely not prevalent. It's the culture of this forum. You can tell them to ****-off, suck it up and ignore it, or try another forum.

The majority of your road noise is coming from the rear tires. P-Zeros are noisier than Michelins, that's a given. New Michelins will reduce the road noise probably 8 to 10%, and that noise will increase as the tires age and lose tread. A major factor in Porsche design is weight elimination, they very much attempt to minimize it and that includes a lack of sound deadening insulation, there is none in the fender wells. I would try tires first, then if you want to go to the next step, remove the inner panels behind the seats that cover the inner fender wells and use Dynamat to cover that area. Since you own a couple of car shops you can do this pretty easily in the rear of the car - worth a try. Dynamat works well.

​​​​​​http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-an...ynamat-xtreme/

Aston Martin actually sleeves insulation inside the fender wells - I had that on my Vantage, which is much quieter than a 911. You can possibly retrofit something on that order or try sound deadening spray (I have not used this personally).

https://www.secondskinaudio.com/soun...ys-and-paints/

​​​​​ There is also an electronic sound symposer in the car that transmits engine noise into the cabin on 991 coupes. (I have a cabriolet and they don't have that feature). For more quiet, you can disable that as well and there are threads here on how to do that.

Good luck. - Duane Collie
I will second disconnect the sound symposer, that thing gave me a headache!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie 2017 Porsche 911 4s owner (rough start on forum)