Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Just posted in a separate thread titled electric gremlins before reading this thread. Same issues on my car just back from some service and I have an android phone. I wonder if the issue can be solved by having a new SXM signal sent to the radio? Anybody try that?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 PM
XSRx
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Glitch

I believe the issue is isolated to Porsche's PCM system, and has nothing to do with an android or Apple iPhone. I took both my 2016 Macan S and 2016 911 out for a drive with and without a phone aboard. In either case the vehicles' PCM system switched off and on. I live in Central California. Porsche must have sneezed and spread a highly transmittable virus.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 PM
clubberlang06
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is such a relief! I just picked up my first Porsche, a 2013 C4S, last weekend and was just starting to add a few minor add-ons including a Pearl rear view camera license plate. I was worried I already broke the car! Glad to see it's not just me...I'll try the fuse reset method above, thanks all.
The following users liked this post:
cpbmd (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by XSRx
I believe the issue is isolated to Porsche's PCM system, and has nothing to do with an android or Apple iPhone. I took both my 2016 Macan S and 2016 911 out for a drive with and without a phone aboard. In either case the vehicles' PCM system switched off and on. I live in Central California.
Yes, it has already been established it is an issue with the XM/Sirius radio and nothing to do with phones.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:42 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by wastedimage
Mine told me the same thing but I am a very impatient person. Try the fix I posted above. It worked right away for me. Be sure to reset both things in the PCM reset menu.
Did you reactivate Sirius/XM? I'm wondering if the handover reset works until you activate satellite radio again and then the problem starts over. If that's the case there's something new in the XM backbone that is causing the PCM to go haywire (maybe a time/date stamp thing?).
Old 05-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Jay Compton
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

This happened to me today, just started rebooting out of the blue!!! I was listening to Fm and then switched to sat and that's when I noticed it!!!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine told me the same thing but I am a very impatient person. Try the fix I posted above. It worked right away for me. Be sure to reset both things in the PCM reset menu.
Well, I took your advice and reset the PCM, then did the XM radio reset you mentioned, and it’s all good now.

I am not actually a SIRIUS XM subscriber, but that didn't seem to matter.

Thanks for the fix info. 😊👍🏻

Last edited by 450knotOffice; 05-21-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

The fix above doing PCM reset and PCM handover worked in both my 991S and my 958 GTS. gave each about 5 mins to see if either would go wonky again. then reactivating XM in both cars. smooth sailing so far. What a PITA. you have to re-pair phone, reset all your settings, everything but at least Zero $.

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Did you reactivate Sirius/XM? I'm wondering if the handover reset works until you activate satellite radio again and then the problem starts over. If that's the case there's something new in the XM backbone that is causing the PCM to go haywire (maybe a time/date stamp thing?).
Old 05-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
The fix above doing PCM reset and PCM handover worked in both my 991S and my 958 GTS. gave each about 5 mins to see if either would go wonky again. then reactivating XM in both cars. smooth sailing so far. What a PITA. you have to re-pair phone, reset all your settings, everything but at least Zero $.
That's great news. I'll do mine tomorrow. Already got comfortable for the night.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Did the double reset of the PCM and the Sirius reset and it worked.
It did take 2 tries for some reason.

Rennlist is awesome. Thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:14 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbk123
Is there any evidence that this problem affects cars WITHOUT an active Sirius subscription? (Out of town and hoping I don't return to a dead battery...)
I don't have an active Sirius subscription, yet it affected mine. However, with that said, I did the PCM reset, then the Sirius reset, and now all is well again. Interestingly, I have Sirius XM actually working on my unit right now (with no subscription), however, I thought I'd read somewhere that there's some 3 month free trial going on right now.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 PM
Xtian
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem: PCM 3.1 rebooting unexpectedly.

Solution: Please see picture below. It worked for me after 3 tries.

Thank you Porsche Scottsdale!

The following users liked this post:
cpbmd (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:22 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

EDIT:
From my local service adviser who is always on the ball, it turns out XM tried to send out a special for memorial day weekend of FREE service, likely to get non-subscribers a taste. If your car has the factory XM gear but not active subscription, I am thinking you are still susceptible. I'm now VERY curious if ANY cars w/o the XM gear has had this PCM issue? So far I doubt it.

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
Well, I took your advice and reset the PCM, then did the XM radio reset you mentioned, and it’s all good now.

I am not actually a SIRIUS XM subscriber, but that didn't seem to matter.

Thanks for the fix info. 😊👍🏻
Old 05-21-2020, 09:35 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 578 Posts

Just because you aren't a current subscriber, doesn't mean the car isn't capable of running Sirius XM. It would make sense to me that any car with Sirius capability, would be effected.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:45 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

This worked for me in a 991.1 Turbo S
  1. Go into your PCM, click info or car or whatever until you get to the Reset PCM to Factory option. Push that. Tell it Yes. Clear everything. You should still have a Reset PCM button.
  2. Now pull our your phone and go here and do the thing with your radio id on xm chan #0 - https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefr...#/refreshradio
  3. Immediately reset the PCM again.
You probably don't need to do it twice but that's what I did and it worked. The first time I either fiddled up the timing or two is required for some reason.

you’re exactly right. Had to do the reset (vehicle handover option) twice, having Sirius xm resend signal twice, and everything works perfectly now. Man I love rennlist. Thanks everyone

2013 c2s that caught the reboot virus at lunchtime today

this whole situation reminds me of two things

1. Gosh darn cancel Sirius xm finally.

2. Go start looking for an older simpler vintage 911 to swap mine for- Preferably a Singer Porsche 911. Lol. Yeah, that should do it. Let me start working on that.

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?