Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Haven't driven my car for a few days....anything I can set to turn off updates before I drive off (I don't get XM reception while the car is parked in the garage)?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 133 Posts

I just spoke briefly with my dealer's service advisor. He said that the PCM problem is due to some sort of Sirius XM change, according to Porsche, and can be corrected with a "reset" of some kind, but I will lose my settings, so I should write them down before bringing the car in. He has had a rash of calls from customers with the same problem. He offered to send me the reset instructions via email but I declined -- I'd rather not mess it up, so I will bring the car in this afternoon and let him do that.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

If anyone has the reset instructions, please post. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mines working now!

I reset my PCM and deleted my iPhone from the BT connection and the PCM out of the iPhone last night, but it continued to reboot. I pulled the fuse overnight to let it reset. I also sent an XM signal refresh this morning. When I got in at lunch and fused it back up, it finally stayed on without rebooting. I put all my settings back in and repaired my iPhone and it's acting fine now. I think the trick was to pull the fuse for an extended amount of time because the PCM can remain active in the background otherwise. I updated my iPhone yesterday to the most recent iOS version... I've definitely had weird issues on the PCM before on multiple vehicles when it's connected via bluetooth, especially BT Audio. That's not to say it couldn't have been XM and it was just coincidence. Either way, I reset both and it's fine now!
The following users liked this post:
JimmyNuggets (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

SOOOO glad you guys posted this. Mine started resetting every 2 minutes and 15 seconds last night like clockwork. I even tried a "hard reset" on the PCM by pulling the fuse (Row B, Fuse #10, 25 amp in the driver's footwell) and that didn't solve the problem. I even left the fuse out overnight after a 30-second "no fuse" didn't fix the issue.

I was worried I was looking at a $5K replacement cost (on sale for around $4K through Suncoast) since my 6.5 year old car is about 6 months out of CPO coverage.

2014 Base 991.1. Bose w/ Nav & XM PCM 3.1. Software version 4.74 (IIRC). I am paired to my iPhone, but haven't done any recent iPhone updates. I even tried disabling Bluetooth and disconnecting the USB iPod I use as a music "jukebox" of sorts and that didn't solve the issue either.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by CarlJ
Mines working now!

I reset my PCM and deleted my iPhone from the BT connection and the PCM out of the iPhone last night, but it continued to reboot. I pulled the fuse overnight to let it reset. I also sent an XM signal refresh this morning. When I got in at lunch and fused it back up, it finally stayed on without rebooting. I put all my settings back in and repaired my iPhone and it's acting fine now. I think the trick was to pull the fuse for an extended amount of time because the PCM can remain active in the background otherwise. I updated my iPhone yesterday to the most recent iOS version... I've definitely had weird issues on the PCM before on multiple vehicles when it's connected via bluetooth, especially BT Audio. That's not to say it couldn't have been XM and it was just coincidence. Either way, I reset both and it's fine now!
You and I did exactly the same thing except for the XM Signal, but mine is still messed up. So I'm guessing it's XM. What did you do to send a new signal?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
You and I did exactly the same thing except for the XM Signal, but mine is still messed up. So I'm guessing it's XM. What did you do to send a new signal?
Logged onto their website and there's an option to send a refresh signal. You can either go into your account and select your radio, or if you have your XM serial number handy, they've got a generic page you can enter the number to send a refresh to it.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by Southbranch
I just spoke briefly with my dealer's service advisor. He said that the PCM problem is due to some sort of Sirius XM change, according to Porsche, and can be corrected with a "reset" of some kind, but I will lose my settings, so I should write them down before bringing the car in. He has had a rash of calls from customers with the same problem. He offered to send me the reset instructions via email but I declined -- I'd rather not mess it up, so I will bring the car in this afternoon and let him do that.
Can you please get the instructions and post them here?
Old 05-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

OK, so I sent an XM refresh signal to the car and confirmed that happened (by tuning in to channel 2). PCM still reboots every 2 - 2.5 minutes. Tried refresh a second time. Still reboots. Hard reset the PCM by pulling the fuse after the refresh.......still reboots.

I'm calling my SA now.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:04 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

Mine started doing it this AM too. Is there any way to turn off the PCM so the battery doesn't drain all day? I literally am just seeing this but have to drive to an appointment... hope my car still starts.

There's a thread in the Cayenne forum as well, so not just 911s it seems!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:06 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Can you please get the instructions and post them here?
Yes, please! Or even what fuse to pull while this gets sorted out to avoid battery drain.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:08 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by RSBro
Yes, please! Or even what fuse to pull while this gets sorted out to avoid battery drain.
I posted it in my initial post (post #20):
Row B, Fuse #10, 25 amp in the driver's footwell
Waiting to hear back from my SA (I got his voicemail so I emailed him). He's great and knows I wrench on my car a lot so I'm sure he'll email me the actual instructions from Porsche.
RSBro (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:08 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by RSBro
Mine started doing it this AM too. Is there any way to turn off the PCM so the battery doesn't drain all day? I literally am just seeing this but have to drive to an appointment... hope my car still starts.

There's a thread in the Cayenne forum as well, so not just 911s it seems!
Row B, Fuse #10, 25 amp in the driver's footwell
RSBro (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, mine started doing same reboot last night at 5pm. Have tried everything suggested above but nothing. Left message with SA. Bummer!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Over in the Cayenne Forums people are saying it's draining their battery overnight. Several got a "Battery protection active while parked" message when they got in their cars this morning.

So your car will keep doing this while off and in your garage!!! Can't be good for the battery, or the PCM to constantly reboot over and over and over again. Recommend everyone pull their PCM fuse NOW if you're experiencing this issue (PCM 3.1 with XM satellite) until this is solved.

Row B, Fuse #10, 25 amp in the driver's footwell.

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?