Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

PCM rebooting gremlins are back. I followed the reset instructions in this thread and fingers crossed that those won't return.

F$&@ Sirius!
Old 06-13-2020, 06:03 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
My car's XM reboot problem began May 20. The dealer performed the handover reset on May 21, and all was well for the next 6 days, although I did not use the car every day. Then the problem returned.

I did the second handover reset myself on May 29. The PCM has been through about 7 total hours of service and 6 or more vehicle on/off cycles since then, and everything is still working correctly. I don't want to jinx it, but I think my PCM is back to normal now.
I'm happy to report that my PCM continues to operate normally after another week. (15 days since I had to do the second reset.)
Old 06-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Sigh. I was just thinking it was probably safe to plug the antenna back in.

At this point I'm going to wait a full week after the last "It's back" message is posted to any of the forums for vehicles with PCM 3.1.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:02 AM
EverA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

Hello, I was having the same issue with reboot pcm.. let it wait and it look is fixed but for some reason now I can not used my Iphone to play audio BT AUX ! Only phone calls. Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:50 AM
Valarr
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EverA
Hello, I was having the same issue with reboot pcm.. let it wait and it look is fixed but for some reason now I can not used my Iphone to play audio BT AUX ! Only phone calls. Any ideas?
Had the same problem.
Put it on Aux --> Set Media/Aux --> [check] Aux Bluetooth
Old 06-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Zippy991
4th Gear

Default PCM-PSM issue

Guys
Has anyone experienced an error message that PSM deactivated? The message went away when I reset the PCM system but I am planning a track session and want to know if this is a separate issue or related to the PCM. Have others have experienced the same message? Did a second PCM reset resolve the problem. I have a 2013 991.1
Old 06-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy991
Guys
Has anyone experienced an error message that PSM deactivated? The message went away when I reset the PCM system but I am planning a track session and want to know if this is a separate issue or related to the PCM. Have others have experienced the same message? Did a second PCM reset resolve the problem. I have a 2013 991.1
A lot of times that pops up due to low/aging battery. If your unit was constantly rebooting overnight (it does it even when the car is off) that could be your issue.

I wouldn't worry about it until it pops up again. It could also be due to a misfire. Minor misfires cause the PSM to be disabled and then multiple/major misfires put the engine into limp mode (PSM error, plus "Engine Fault"). Misfires are usually due to bad ignition coil(s).

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 06-29-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Most common cause of "PSM deactivated" is one or more bad ignition coils. The ECU reacts to that condition by throwing seemingly-random messages. If that's the problem, it'll probably become obvious on the track.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 PM
Zippy991
4th Gear

Default PCM-PSM issue

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Most common cause of "PSM deactivated" is one or more bad ignition coils. The ECU reacts to that condition by throwing seemingly-random messages. If that's the problem, it'll probably become obvious on the track.
Interestingly,the car ran fine on the track but same error message occurred on the drive home. The battery is not low because the PCM has not been rebooting..
I cannot feel a misfire in the exhaust, and no error codes on my generic code reader. Nonetheless, I will watch for the misfire, likely it is intermittent. Perhaps its time to do plugs and coils even though only 30,000 miles, but 7 years.
Thanks Noah and Class5 for the responses..
Old 07-17-2020, 04:46 AM
6th Gear

My PCM started rebooting again this past week, and with a vengeance in that it’s rebooting every 5 mins instead of the usual 10. Performing vehicle handover and reset does not fix the problem. And this is after I tried updating the PCM software, but it was already at v3.43 and there is no further update.

Rather than removing the SiriusXM module from the PCM, which requires removal of the unit, I have just unplugged the wire connection for the SDARS SiriusXM antenna by following the instructions here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1125...-2019-gts.html

I won’t miss having SiriusXM through the PCM, as I installed the Joyeauto CarPlay unit and could stream SiriusXM that way. Will see whether this will finally fix the reboot issue!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by 12933
My PCM started rebooting again this past week, and with a vengeance in that it’s rebooting every 5 mins instead of the usual 10. Performing vehicle handover and reset does not fix the problem. And this is after I tried updating the PCM software, but it was already at v3.43 and there is no further update.

Rather than removing the SiriusXM module from the PCM, which requires removal of the unit, I have just unplugged the wire connection for the SDARS SiriusXM antenna by following the instructions here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1125...-2019-gts.html

I won’t miss having SiriusXM through the PCM, as I installed the Joyeauto CarPlay unit and could stream SiriusXM that way. Will see whether this will finally fix the reboot issue!
Did this solve the rebooting issue?
Old 07-18-2020, 10:15 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rodsky
Did this solve the rebooting issue?
Unfortunately, it didn't. The SiriusXM antenna was disconnected, as the PCM shows a message to "Check XM Antenna", yet the reboot persisted - at now 5 or 10 min. intervals. Looks like the hard drive has bad sectors and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:51 PM
Cheesehead
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank you!

you guys are a Godsend!

I luv this Porsche community

for me it happened right after I bought a new iPhone 13 Pro two days ago

Navi working fine

but then Bluetooth and iPhone pairing not working

then few hours driving to a wedding that afternoon PCM starts cycling turning off than turning back on to Carrera S load screen

doesnt work whether you push accept button on traffic disclaimer or not

Navi and Maps stuck at loading

I have car hooked up to CTEK trickle battery charger. But you can tell that PCM constantly recycling every 5 minutes with a little click or whirr

Just pulled my PCM fuse and finally quiet now

i previously had tried reset at dealer yesterday

will probably try again later

if doesn’t work going to try to have JLSO help with hard drive

This should be a Class Action lawsuit

i care Navi system should not go dead and require $4000 replacement after Bluetoothing an iPhone because of hard drive memory issues or file corruption

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I posted it in my initial post (post #20):
Row B, Fuse #10, 25 amp in the driver's footwell
Waiting to hear back from my SA (I got his voicemail so I emailed him). He's great and knows I wrench on my car a lot so I'm sure he'll email me the actual instructions from Porsche.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:57 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian E
I received an email today from PCNA addressing this issue. Looks to be the same resolution as has already been discussed in this thread.

Dear Mr. Evans,

We are aware that some of our customers are experiencing an issue with their vehicle’s central communication unit, known as the Porsche Communication Management (PCM), causing it to continuously reboot.
If your vehicle is equipped with PCM and you are experiencing this condition, performing a hard reset of the PCM should resolve the concern. To perform this reset please follow these steps:
***Before performing this procedure, ensure that your vehicle is located outdoors. Please note that hard resetting the PCM will remove all personalized settings
  1. Press and hold the INFO button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
  2. Press the CAR button.
  3. Press the OPTION button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
  4. Select "SET PCM system">>"Reset PCM".
  5. Select "Vehicle handover" This resets all settings to predefined values and deletes your personal settings and data (including addresses, destinations, radio stations, phone numbers, as well as the recordings in the Sport display).
  6. Confirm the relevant prompt by selecting "Yes".

If after performing this procedure your vehicle continues to experience consistent reboots please contact your local authorized dealership to schedule an appointment for further diagnosis.
Its been a while - but try following these steps. I did and it fixed my PCM issues. At the time, the issue was caused by Sirius XM in certain year Porsche's to include my 2016..

You do lose presets but obviously that's the least of the issues.

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?