Sponsored by:

991 DIY sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 686 Posts
Default 991 DIY sound insulation

Has anyone on this board tried to add more sound insulation to their 991?

This is more of an issue for GT cars than carrera models, but I figured I might ask here as well. I recently did a successful DIY sound insulation for the rear half of my 991.2 GT3. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nsulation.html

And now I'm thinking about trying to also add sound insulation to the doors, and possibly add sound insulation to the roof and front wheel wells. Anyone here tried to add sound insulation to one or more of those three areas on a 991??
Old 04-16-2020, 04:40 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

I did it on my doors, and will maybe do some of the rear at some point. I used Sound Skin Pro Door kit and Sound Skin speaker rings. Made a big difference. Matt from Obsessed Garage has a video on Youtube it. Also you can look at pictures from the @12v Nick install threads of where he puts it on the door cards. Very simple install, took a couple hours taking my time.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:03 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 201 Posts

I stuffed a microfibre rag into the sound symposer as the drone of the piped in intake was driving me nuts...I have a pse and that is sufficient
Old 04-16-2020, 09:11 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 439 Posts

I've done both the doors and the entire rear of the car. When I did the doors all the road noise moved from everywhere to the rear of the car. Now that I've finished the rear of the car the car is much quieter. Well worth the time and effort. Have not done anything to the floors or the front, but not sure it would be worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim M.:
AdamSanta85 (04-17-2020), Drifting (04-17-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I've done both the doors and the entire rear of the car. When I did the doors all the road noise moved from everywhere to the rear of the car. Now that I've finished the rear of the car the car is much quieter. Well worth the time and effort. Have not done anything to the floors or the front, but not sure it would be worth it.
When you say the rear of the car, do you mean the rear deck under the carpet? Any other spots?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
When you say the rear of the car, do you mean the rear deck under the carpet? Any other spots?
I removed the side panels and all the carpeting of the rear seats and the rear deck, I also removed the front seatbelts in order to access the large hole they are mounted in. It was a lot of work, but IMHO well worth the effort.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I removed the side panels and all the carpeting of the rear seats and the rear deck, I also removed the front seatbelts in order to access the large hole they are mounted in. It was a lot of work, but IMHO well worth the effort.
I LOVE my GT3 and really don't want to change it, that being said, it would be nice to be able to hear the radio, and make phone calls when driving! Yes, i's that bad in a GT3.
So,I'm waiting on my sound deeding to arrive for the door panels. This is pretty straight forward. Going to do the inside area, and a couple areas on the door.

How do you remove the rear panels? I tried, but can't figure out how they are bolted in. I know doing the rear wheel area will drastically cut down on road noise. On the GT3, you hear rocks hitting the liners all the time. Doing the seat bottoms and lower carpet would be nice. My car also has a cage, so doing anything in the back is a PITA, don't even get me started on cleaning the rear glass!
Old 04-17-2020, 10:19 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 640 Posts

I did the inside of the door skins and some sections of the rear wheel wells.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076...nsulation.html
Old 04-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

I wish I knew what kind of noise people are hearing...if anyone happens to come close to me please let me know so I can get a ride. It seems most are GT car owners but it seems to be an issue with others as well. I would not change a thing on mine (with PSE/Sport Cats) and OEM P-Zeros with about 6k miles on them. No road noise and I like the Bose albeit it is only on about half the time since I enjoy both auditory options the same.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:32 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I wish I knew what kind of noise people are hearing...if anyone happens to come close to me please let me know so I can get a ride. It seems most are GT car owners but it seems to be an issue with others as well. I would not change a thing on mine (with PSE/Sport Cats) and OEM P-Zeros with about 6k miles on them. No road noise and I like the Bose albeit it is only on about half the time since I enjoy both auditory options the same.
No offense, but perhaps you need to have your hearing checked. I'm in my late Sixties and have lost considerable hearing and my 991.2 Carrera coupe sounds very loud on the highway--mostly road/tire noise. The engine sound and wind rush is very minor. I would describe the sound level as barely OK on the finest asphalt pavement, and deafening on coarse concrete. On long highway trips, I've sometimes deployed Bose headphones to gain some respite.
The following 2 users liked this post by Valvefloat991:
bmxtreme (06-10-2024), miker2019 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
No offense, but perhaps you need to have your hearing checked. I'm in my late Sixties and have lost considerable hearing and my 991.2 Carrera coupe sounds very loud on the highway--mostly road/tire noise. The engine sound and wind rush is very minor. I would describe the sound level as barely OK on the finest asphalt pavement, and deafening on coarse concrete. On long highway trips, I've sometimes deployed Bose headphones to gain some respite.
I am being serious, and my hearing is fine (56 years old). I let my wife read this thread and she agreed with me, but again, we have nothing to compare it to and can only speak for my car (top up or down) The tires are set to 35 front and 40 rear as well, which may make one assume it should be worse in my car albeit it might be helping reduce noise. I am not trying to say anyone in this thread is making it up; however, I stand by what I said and if anyone comes down my way I would gladly give them a ride to get their impression.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Coming from an M3 to a Carrera T the tyre noise and noise from stones in the wheel arches is significantly more loud. Guess it depends on your previous baseline.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:47 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

I am being serious, and my hearing is fine (56 years old). I let my wife read this thread and she agreed with me, but again, we have nothing to compare it to and can only speak for my car (top up or down) The tires are set to 35 front and 40 rear as well, which may make one assume it should be worse in my car albeit it might be helping reduce noise. I am not trying to say anyone in this thread is making it up; however, I stand by what I said and if anyone comes down my way I would gladly give them a ride to get their impression.
I accept what you say and wish I were nearby so we could compare cars. Before my 991.2, I was driving a 2007 BMW 335i sedan with the sport package (stiffer suspension and lower profile tires). Even with the OEM run-flat Bridgestone tires, the BMW was limousine quiet compared with the Porsche. I would say that the Porsche is slightly quieter than a C7 Corvette, but that's not saying much.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I accept what you say and wish I were nearby so we could compare cars. Before my 991.2, I was driving a 2007 BMW 335i sedan with the sport package (stiffer suspension and lower profile tires). Even with the OEM run-flat Bridgestone tires, the BMW was limousine quiet compared with the Porsche. I would say that the Porsche is slightly quieter than a C7 Corvette, but that's not saying much.
I had a couple C7s (long story) and the Porsche is much quieter to me.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I had a couple C7s (long story) and the Porsche is much quieter to me.
My 991 is the loudest stock car I have owned. Driving with the windows open is the worse experience ever, I have no idea how Porsche let this one go past quality control. The AWE winglets help, but it's still there.

Maybe it's all that BLUE, it's absorbing all the noise.

Quick Reply: 991 DIY sound insulation