Sponsored by:

991 DIY sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by SF Neunelfer
Porsche owners...this is why Porsche is making tons of money off of us, with their ala cart options menu. They know us and are profiting off all our differences. I love this forum, people helping people make the car thier own, other are pissed at why would you do that or this..the leave it stock crowd.

As long as all people enjoy the 911 in any of its form, I feel good for the brand, as it will continue on.

Go on peeps, change you sport car into a caddi cruiser with HIFI sounds! Prop the the peeps that leave it stock and just drive it!

Im only sad for the 1k/year crowd, its a lot to pay for a garage ornament. We only have a short time on this rock, why save the car for the next guy.

Cheers,

-R
Many of us have multiple toys to use so if someone only puts 1k miles on it a year and they get enjoyment when they use it there is no reason for anyone to be sad!
Old 04-22-2020, 11:28 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Noise in the 911's is the cost of light weight. You can't have both light weight and low noise. I have an E39 BMW M5 and it is like a limo compared to my 911, but the BMW weighs considerably more with a softer suspension. Needless to say the BMW does not go or corner as fast as the 911. My older Euro '85 M635 was firmer and noisier like the 911, 3300 lbs with little to no door insulation (not at all like the US M6 or 635 which weighed in at 3800-3900 lbs).

I cannot understand folks buying a street-able race car like the GT3 and then complaining about road noise.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:39 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Noise in the 911's is the cost of light weight. You can't have both light weight and low noise. I have an E39 BMW M5 and it is like a limo compared to my 911, but the BMW weighs considerably more with a softer suspension. Needless to say the BMW does not go or corner as fast as the 911. My older Euro '85 M635 was firmer and noisier like the 911, 3300 lbs with little to no door insulation (not at all like the US M6 or 635 which weighed in at 3800-3900 lbs).

I cannot understand folks buying a street-able race car like the GT3 and then complaining about road noise.
I agree with you when it comes to the GT3, but a base 911 could be quieter. A Bose-like noise cancelation system playing through the speakers would not add much weight.

Aftermarket product anyone? No licensing fee required for the idea.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:45 PM
itbme
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

This thread comes up first when searching 991 sound insulation, so I'll add this here:

991.2 c2s.
Some low hanging fruit.

I removed the panel from under the rear window and noticed it's just a large cavity with one chunk of foam floating loosely around.

1. Removed the foam
2. I cut a 6x60" length of 3M Thinsulate
3. Cover the rear wit ha blanket or towel, this stuff SHEDS
4. Threaded the thinsulate between the metal support and the body of the car (in the void.) The thinsulate is wider than the body, so double it up in the corners. Stuff it into the void there.
5. Place the factory block BETWEEN the thinsulate and metal bracket
6. close it up

What happened?
The 991.2 was driving me absolutely nuts with the high frequency rubbing sandpaper/gravel/rough sound from the tires. This eliminated the worst of it.

Of course, the tires are still noisy. But now the painful octave they created is nearly gone entirely.

Quick Reply: 991 DIY sound insulation