Sponsored by:

991 DIY sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
My 991 is the loudest stock car I have owned. Driving with the windows open is the worse experience ever, I have no idea how Porsche let this one go past quality control. The AWE winglets help, but it's still there.

Maybe it's all that BLUE, it's absorbing all the noise.
Ha! I have had a lot of cars over the years so I know what road noise is so it must be the roads here. I also have the AWE diffusers but when my top is down the windows are up 99% of the time.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I did the inside of the door skins and some sections of the rear wheel wells.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076...nsulation.html
thank you for linking your previous project.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:32 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I stuffed a microfibre rag into the sound symposer as the drone of the piped in intake was driving me nuts...I have a pse and that is sufficient
What exactly did you have to remove/do to get to that thing? There's a bunch of disassembly required on Caymans, but hopefully it's easier on 911s. I'd like to completely remove it, and just plug the intake, but I'd settle for just plugging it if too much trouble. Thanks in advance for your help .

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
my 991.2 Carrera coupe sounds very loud on the highway--mostly road/tire noise. The engine sound and wind rush is very minor.
I'm in the research phase of buying a used 991.2S ('17 or '18), and was afraid of this, but glad I found it. I had to sell my beloved 2016 Cayman GTS because of that. With the prevalent rough asphalt in the south of the country, it was downright deafening. Even had to use earplugs on the way back, since my ears were literally ringing. My car had PSE, which was equally loud inside the cabin on or off, so on top of the deafening road noise, I had deafening engine noise as well (should have plugged that stupid symposer hose). I'm glad to hear you don't hear the engine much, but may I ask if you have PSE or not? I'd like PSE again, BUT only if it's as quiet (or nearly as quiet) inside the cabin when OFF as the stock exhaust, like it should be (my ex-C6 Corvette was like that).

Finally, there's an option for a quieter interior on 911s called 'acoustic package', which is option # 171. But it seems to be like a unicorn option. Ha ha. And since I'm buying used, I'd basically eliminate the entire market from consideration. So more realistically, I'd have to deal with the cabin noise issue myself. Will be following this thread. Otherwise, I'd just buy a proper 4-door GT car and call it a day. Ha ha. I love driving, but since I work from home, and there's nowhere to drive or ride anywhere close, I basically only drive my cars on trips, and don't want to go alone, it'll have to be a proper GT car (as in Grand Touring, not a Porsche 'GT' car). Not looking to make it Lexus LS quiet (which I've owned), but quiet enough to be comfortable. Also need to check that the stock tire sizes of 911Ss are found in ultra high-performance all-season tires, like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s. On my Cayman, there wasn't, so that's why I decided to sell it. Sport tires are super noisy by design, and I won't need them on this car. UHPAS is more than enough, much quieter, lasts much longer, and safer than sport tires everywhere (especially when cold) except at a track.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
What exactly did you have to remove/do to get to that thing? There's a bunch of disassembly required on Caymans, but hopefully it's easier on 911s. I'd like to completely remove it, and just plug the intake, but I'd settle for just plugging it if too much trouble. Thanks in advance for your help .

I'm in the research phase of buying a used 991.2S ('17 or '18), and was afraid of this, but glad I found it. I had to sell my beloved 2016 Cayman GTS because of that. With the prevalent rough asphalt in the south of the country, it was downright deafening. Even had to use earplugs on the way back, since my ears were literally ringing. My car had PSE, which was equally loud inside the cabin on or off, so on top of the deafening road noise, I had deafening engine noise as well (should have plugged that stupid symposer hose). I'm glad to hear you don't hear the engine much, but may I ask if you have PSE or not? I'd like PSE again, BUT only if it's as quiet (or nearly as quiet) inside the cabin when OFF as the stock exhaust, like it should be (my ex-C6 Corvette was like that).

Finally, there's an option for a quieter interior on 911s called 'acoustic package', which is option # 171. But it seems to be like a unicorn option. Ha ha. And since I'm buying used, I'd basically eliminate the entire market from consideration. So more realistically, I'd have to deal with the cabin noise issue myself. Will be following this thread. Otherwise, I'd just buy a proper 4-door GT car and call it a day. Ha ha. I love driving, but since I work from home, and there's nowhere to drive or ride anywhere close, I basically only drive my cars on trips, and don't want to go alone, it'll have to be a proper GT car (as in Grand Touring, not a Porsche 'GT' car). Not looking to make it Lexus LS quiet (which I've owned), but quiet enough to be comfortable. Also need to check that the stock tire sizes of 911Ss are found in ultra high-performance all-season tires, like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s. On my Cayman, there wasn't, so that's why I decided to sell it. Sport tires are super noisy by design, and I won't need them on this car. UHPAS is more than enough, much quieter, lasts much longer, and safer than sport tires everywhere (especially when cold) except at a track.
Can't say I've ever heard of the "acoustic package" option. If I had seen it when I ordered my car I would have specified it. Are you sure such an option existed on the 991.2?
Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

If anyone with a gt3 touring would like an even trade for my T to alleviate your concerns about noise I am happy to trade.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 640 Posts

No offense, but perhaps you need to have your hearing checked. I'm in my late Sixties and have lost considerable hearing and my 991.2 Carrera coupe sounds very loud on the highway--mostly road/tire noise. The engine sound and wind rush is very minor. I would describe the sound level as barely OK on the finest asphalt pavement, and deafening on coarse concrete. On long highway trips, I've sometimes deployed Bose headphones to gain some respite.
I agree. The tire/road noise is always present and changes character and loudness based on surface condition.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Can't say I've ever heard of the "acoustic package" option. If I had seen it when I ordered my car I would have specified it. Are you sure such an option existed on the 991.2?
There is no such option. This thread is actually somewhat ridiculous. Did anyone that is complaining about noise take a test drive? Ever drive a car with PSE? People are making 911s sound like tractors.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:02 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

To each their own. some people like to get louder exhaust and some like to make the car a little quieter so they can enjoy a daily commute better. Just because other cars are louder doesn't mean i may be ok with mine being the noise level it is. Why is everyone harping on someone every time if they want to do something different than 99% of owners are doing?
With respect, whats the big freakin deal? No one is forcing you to modify your vehicle. if you don't have something that may help someone in this particular case, don't troll. Let them be with their own car and do what they want.
Do you like when people tell you you are stupid for getting a tune and exhaust because car is already fast enough or warranty will be affected? No, so why would you do the same to someone who wants to put some padding in their vehicle?

The following 5 users liked this post by malahhaor:
DR911s (05-12-2020), Drifting (04-20-2020), gheminway (04-23-2020), miker2019 (04-21-2020), T3X4S (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 02:57 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Are you sure such an option existed on the 991.2?
Yep . And well worth the $1K IMO, but it's a unicorn. It's option # 171 (interior noise suppression acoustic package), which I think includes thicker (and double-pane) glass, and more sound insulation everywhere. Nothing like a quiet car when you want it to be. Here's a link where you can see all options (stroll down for #171): https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/991.2/ Hope I didn't ruin your car for you, brother. Ha ha.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Yep . And well worth the $1K IMO, but it's a unicorn. It's option # 171 (interior noise suppression acoustic package), which I think includes thicker (and double-pane) glass, and more sound insulation everywhere. Nothing like a quiet car when you want it to be. Here's a link where you can see all options (stroll down for #171): https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/991.2/ Hope I didn't ruin your car for you, brother. Ha ha.
That is not an option one could order, and it is found on many models in the list of every possible thing the car has such as exterior mirrors, right hand drive, etc. in the USA and Canada.

Otherwise, all I was trying to say is the car is what it is and someone buying should know what to expect from a 911 if they test drove one, researched it at place like this, etc. One can only do so much with a particular car and there are many other choices if the characteristics of a specific one do not meet one's needs.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 04-20-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:22 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Going from the Nitto NT555 G2 that were on my car when I bought it to MP4s made a HUGE difference. Car was deafening above 60 from rear tire roar. God, just thinking of those tires gives me a headache.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 439 Posts

How do you remove the rear panels? I tried, but can't figure out how they are bolted in. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
The side panels don't have any bolts. I used the instructions from a roll bar installation thread (sorry I don't have a link). Basically you remove the sail panel where the rear seatbelts come through, pull the door weather strip off of the rear edge of the door opening and pull up the threshold plates, unbolt the bottom of the front seat belts, remove the trim around the seat belts where they come out of the side panels, remove the rear seat backs and seat bottom , the rear carpet, just below the rear window. Finally the side panels are ready to be removed. The rear panels lift up (not easy), disconnect the wiring for the rear speakers and then remove the panels. I'm sure if you do a search for "991 Roll Bar Installation" you can find it. They did a great job documenting the process with lots of pictures. I spent several weeks doing all the removal, insulating and reassembly with normal life interruptions. But for me it was worth it.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:00 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
To each their own. some people like to get louder exhaust and some like to make the car a little quieter so they can enjoy a daily commute better. Just because other cars are louder doesn't mean i may be ok with mine being the noise level it is. Why is everyone harping on someone every time if they want to do something different than 99% of owners are doing?
With respect, whats the big freakin deal? No one is forcing you to modify your vehicle. if you don't have something that may help someone in this particular case, don't troll. Let them be with their own car and do what they want.
Do you like when people tell you you are stupid for getting a tune and exhaust because car is already fast enough or warranty will be affected? No, so why would you do the same to someone who wants to put some padding in their vehicle?
But true believers do not like people to mess with their holy icons.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:10 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
But true believers do not like people to mess with their holy icons.
Please forgive us non-believers for our blasphemy. We are not worthy.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:55 AM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche owners...this is why Porsche is making tons of money off of us, with their ala cart options menu. They know us and are profiting off all our differences. I love this forum, people helping people make the car thier own, other are pissed at why would you do that or this..the leave it stock crowd.

As long as all people enjoy the 911 in any of its form, I feel good for the brand, as it will continue on.

Go on peeps, change you sport car into a caddi cruiser with HIFI sounds! Prop the the peeps that leave it stock and just drive it!

Im only sad for the 1k/year crowd, its a lot to pay for a garage ornament. We only have a short time on this rock, why save the car for the next guy.

Cheers,

-R
The following 2 users liked this post by SF Neunelfer:
gheminway (04-21-2020), Jim M. (04-21-2020)

Quick Reply: 991 DIY sound insulation