Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 DIY sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020 | 12:28 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 DIY sound insulation

So I have a bit more time on my hands these days due to COVID, so today I finally did a project I've had planned for a while. In addition to track days and canyon runs, I use my GT3 for 3 day weekend trips with my lady, and it's a bit hard to hear each other talking, and the noise can be a bit much for her over long distances. So I was inspired by a fellow rennlister bli8 who did a DIY sound insulation of several of his P cars including a GT car in the past. I did a very though 2-3 layer insulation from the rear of the car, all the way to the rear footwell/center console today. Spent 4 hours on the project as I was a bit OCD about how I layered the insulation, and then I took my GT3 on a canyon run and a long drive on the freeway today. I regret not taking decibel measurement before and after, but subjectively I'd say the overall interior cabin noise was reduced by 50% which was quite noticeable. My stereo (Bose) now sounds twice as good. And I now fully agree with those that said its a waste of money to spend money upgrading the base radio in a GT3........unless you add sound insulation. Street noise reduced by 30% the engine noise was reduced by 20%. Actually I reduced engine noise a little bit more than expected. I was already planning on removing the side mufflers and replacing with dundon street headers this summer anyway and so this was part of the plan to reduce engine noise with this mod as I'm doing dundon more for power than noise. I expect the total engine noise to be 10% more than stock after I do the dundon headers, (but at the same time I'll have 30% less street noise)

If you just want to reduce street/tire noise without affecting the engine sound at all, I'd recommend a smaller version of this, focused just on the wheel wells (while not adding any insulation to the center 80% that you seen in the first two photos). Also recommend doing the doors. This would reduce unwanted street/tire noise, but shouldn't affect the engine sound. Below are some pics. (Used Kilmats as the base layer with noico audiofoam as the top layer)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ2DHV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ2DHV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBK48XN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBK48XN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Drifting; 05-26-2021 at 11:16 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Drifting:
17bhub (04-13-2020), 80p (04-13-2020), AlexG911 (04-17-2020), Bluehighways (09-13-2020), hellboy_mcqueen (04-13-2020), heshalosny (02-09-2022), LZRD GRN (04-13-2020), Mcx (05-25-2022), montoya (04-13-2020), NevB (04-14-2020), Norsk (04-13-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (04-13-2020), RDCR (04-13-2020), Rennspec.com (05-29-2021) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2020 | 09:47 AM
MacFever
Racer

How much kg did you add ?
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (05-30-2021)
Old 04-13-2020 | 10:21 AM
Wudee
Advanced

thanks for posting, been contemplating adding some sound proofing to my Touring. Did you consider adding sound mats in the doors?
I have the standard stereo exactly for the reason you mentioned and have a rattle in the speaker/door that I hope to get rid off with adding mats in the doors.
Old 04-13-2020 | 10:22 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

If you don’t mind, what’s the secret to removing the little plastic tray at the top of the transmission tunnel?
Old 04-13-2020 | 10:45 AM
RLNTL3S

Originally Posted by Norsk
If you don’t mind, what’s the secret to removing the little plastic tray at the top of the transmission tunnel?
Remove the little rubber insert with something flat, that will reveal a nut. Done.
Norsk (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020 | 10:56 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wudee
thanks for posting, been contemplating adding some sound proofing to my Touring.

Did you consider adding sound mats in the doors?
I have the standard stereo exactly for the reason you mentioned and have a rattle in the speaker/door that I hope to get rid off with adding mats in the doors
Porsche makes it so easy to disassemble trim on this car.

LMK if you need a DIY to see how to remove the doors,
I believe I took enough photos last time - only 4 Torx bolts hold the door on

Old 04-13-2020 | 11:16 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Amazon shows that Noico link as NLA
Have you tried the Red 150mil self adhesive Noico?

Noico RED 150 mil 18 sqft Сar Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell Deadening Material (PE Foam Sound Deadener)
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by Drifting
So I have a bit more time on my hands these days due to COVID, so today I finally did a project I've had planned for a while. In addition to track days and canyon runs, I use my GT3 for 3 day weekend trips with my lady, and it's a bit hard to hear each other talking, and the noise can be a bit much for her over long distances. So I was inspired by a fellow rennlister bli8 who did a DIY sound insulation of several of his P cars including a GT car in the past. I did a very though 2-3 layer insulation from the rear of the car, all the way to the rear footwell/center console today. Spent 4 hours on the project as I was a bit OCD about how I layered the insulation, and then I took my GT3 on a canyon run and a long drive on the freeway today. I regret not taking decibel measurement before and after, but subjectively I'd say the overall interior cabin noise was reduced by 35%, which was quite noticeable. My stereo (Bose) now sounds twice as good. And I now fully agree with those that said its a waste of money to spend money upgrading the base radio in a GT3........unless you add sound insulation. Street noise reduced by 35%, the engine noise was reduced by 20%. Actually reduced engine noise a little bit more than expected. I was already planning on removing the side mufflers and replacing with dundon street headers this summer anyway and so this was part of the plan to reduce engine noise with this mod as I'm doing dundon more for power than noise. I expect the total engine noise to be 10% more than stock after I do the dundon headers, (but at the same time I'll have 35% less street noise)

If you just want to reduce street/tire noise without affecting the engine sound at all, I'd recommend a smaller version of this, focused just on the wheel wells (while not adding any insulation to the center 80% that you seen in the first two photos). This would reduce unwanted street/tire noise, but shouldn't affect the engine sound. Below are some pics. (Used Kilmats as the base layer with noico audiofoam as the top layer)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-13-2020 | 03:20 PM
Wudee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Perimeter

That would be great. with lockdown i should really go and do this.
Old 04-13-2020 | 04:06 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MacFever
How much kg did you add ?
I did a very thorough 2 layer throughout the entire area, and triplelayered the wheel wells. Kilmats are twice as heavy as the noico. Overall I added 11 pounds for this very thorough install of sound insulation.

If you just did one layer of only noico foam insulation over everything, you'd add only 4 pounds, and if you just did one layer of noico over just the wheel wells, you'd just add a single pound.
heshalosny (02-09-2022)
Old 04-13-2020 | 04:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wudee
thanks for posting, been contemplating adding some sound proofing to my Touring. Did you consider adding sound mats in the doors?
I have the standard stereo exactly for the reason you mentioned and have a rattle in the speaker/door that I hope to get rid off with adding mats in the doors.
I definitely thought about it, but I'm unsure how to do it which leads me too....

Yes, please show me how to remove the doors, I would love to insulate them as well!

Amazon shows that Noico link as NLA
Have you tried the Red 150mil self adhesive Noico?

Noico RED 150 mil 18 sqft Сar Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell Deadening Material (PE Foam Sound Deadener)
https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulat...ef_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insulat...ef_=ast_sto_dp
True, I purchased my noico several months ago. It is 170mm, so a bit thicker, but 150 is still very close. I will likely use that for the doors, once you show me how to remove and reinstall them
Perimeter (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020 | 04:12 PM
dmo0207
Rennlist Member

Default Touring

For about a year and a 1/2 I drove my Touring and felt the noise level was a bit much: not just volume, but primarily harshness and vibration with a lot of unpleasant white noise. A few weeks ago I added some sound insulation and could not be happier! I took up the carpet over the rear deck, and removed the trim piece underneath the rear window. I applied one layer of Noico insulation to the horizontal surfaces over the engine, and then placed noise insulating foam over the wheel wells and in front of the verical surface anterior to the engine compartment. The car still sounds very raw and angry, but the sound quality has improved! I can now hear more of the beautiful mechanical noises and induction, but less white noise. A big improvement! At the end of a spirited drive my ears no longer ache. This took me about an hour, cost about $75, and I would estimate added 2 - 3 lbs. Very worth it imo.
The following 4 users liked this post by dmo0207:
cox1974 (04-13-2020), NevB (04-14-2020), Perimeter (04-13-2020), Seranad (02-24-2023)
Old 04-13-2020 | 04:46 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

This is a very good video on how to remove your door panel.

BTW, now that you have me looking and and thinking about sound insulation, I've somehow convinced myself to add another project on the list - LOL, it is never gonna end !

I definitely thought about it, but I'm unsure how to do it which leads me too....

Yes, please show me how to remove the doors, I would love to insulate them as well!

True, I purchased my noico several months ago. It is 170mm, so a bit thicker, but 150 is still very close. I will likely use that for the doors, once you show me how to remove and reinstall them
Drifting (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020 | 12:47 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

This is a very good video on how to remove your door panel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFQbGD0lP-U&t=362s

BTW, now that you have me looking and and thinking about sound insulation, I've somehow convinced myself to add another project on the list - LOL, it is never gonna end !
thank you. Nice video. I think I may add the doors to my next project too.

anyone have tips for sound insulation in the doors?

anyone here ever done that to a modern P-car?
Old 04-14-2020 | 02:46 AM
Wudee
Advanced

@ Drifting
The carpet in the rear is not glued to the metal or anything? Just a matter of pulling it up? And after applying the insulation do you just roll the carpet back and you don't notice any change from before?
I would probably choose Noico150 mats for the wheel wells and maybe against the engine bay in the front.
Old 04-14-2020 | 03:02 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

thank you. Nice video. I think I may add the doors to my next project too.

anyone have tips for sound insulation in the doors?

anyone here ever done that to a modern P-car?
Roll the windows all the way up and apply to the inner skin of the door. It will make an amazing difference even when you shut the door with a more resound shut
facelvega (10-04-2023)

Quick Reply: GT3 DIY sound insulation