Sponsored by:

991.2 4 GTS, PDCC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 PM
cdwilly79
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 4 GTS, PDCC?

I have decided my COVID-19 relief needs to include a new car and definitely plan to spend some time at several track events here in Texas. With that, I am currently looking at few 991.2 4 GTS units and I am curious about PDCC. It sounds interesting, but my research thus far has not returned much actionable input as to whether I should hold out for a unit that has PDCC. Any input or first hand knowledge/experience would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:30 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

There are many videos on YouTube about the 991.2 C4 GTS which describe PDCC (which comes with rear wheel steering). I watched all of them before and after ordering my '18 with PDCC & RWS. Both are absolutely great to have but expensive. On the used Market, they probably won't cost you that much. PDCC definitely makes the car ride smoother.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I found this thread by searching this forum, which may of some help: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1157...-pick-one.html

I did not select it when I ordered my car but I have since installed a DSC module, which helps to control body roll as well as smooths out the ride so I do not regret not having it, and yes, I have driven a car that has PDCC. And here is article that may help you decide if you really have to have it:

https://www.excellence-mag.com/of-no...hassis-control
Old 04-07-2020, 07:56 PM
infinitest
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I have PDCC on my 991.2 4 GTS and I'm a big fan. I've driven a 991.2 GTS without it and it's definitely noticeable. Car stays much flatter in corners with PDCC and that's my preference.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:50 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

I agree with the others. I am a fan of PDCC on my 991.1 GTS cab. It was not an option on my 991.1 C2 cab. I definitely notice the difference in the stability of the car (no body roll) when taking curves at speed. It also makes for a smoother ride overall. Some say it makes the drive feel more artificial, but the same could be said for any of the nannies that are available in a modern-day Porsche. I am an even bigger fan of the RAS in my GT3T. That is a total game-changer. RAS was not an option on the 991.1 GTS. If I had to choose RAS or PDCC, I would check the RAS box without hesitation.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

2019 C4 GTS without PDCC/RWS was AWESOME on Nurburgring. I watched quite a few Nurburgring videos prior to the trip and noticed that when braking with steering wheel turned the car tries to straighten the rear wheels and this resulted in steering wheel shudder. The YouTube channel was something like //.. This guy rips and rips. Maybe this is a GT3RS RWS issue. Who knows. When discussing options with other owners and the sales manager, the general consensus was that unless this car will be tracked regularly AND I was going to try to squeak out a few extra seconds, I probably wouldn’t miss it. I decided less complicated is better for a long term keeper. The car is way more capable than I am on the track but I’m looking forward to becoming a better driver though PCA track with instructor.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:55 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

PDCC is great but.... If you plan on doing any suspension mods it will take you to some dead ends. Can not do stiffer sway bars because PDCC, can not do sleeve over spring kits because of PDCC. If you dont plan to do suspension mods for occasional track use then I recommend getting it. It works really well on the track, just cant take the suspension further without full coilover swap.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:12 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

When I was looking to purchase my GTS, I drove a non PDCC/RWS car back to back with a PDCC/RWS car. I had a feeling I wanted the options but wanted to make sure because there was quite a bit of mixed opinions here on whether it was desirable or not. For context, I had recently sold my 991.1RS and wanted a 911 I could daily drive and occasionally track.

I did the same big loop back to back and found the PDCC/RWS car much more satisfying on the street. The nose turned in much more like the RS than the non-PDCC/RWS car. It was able to go from extremely comfortable to firmer and more tied down with the press of a button. On track, the car remained relatively flat on hard cornering and could hit curbing hard without upsetting the car. For me, the setup made the car perfect. I bought the PDCC/RWS car.

FWIW, in the months that followed, I had the chance to drive my car and a 991.2 low option base Carrera back to over a long road trip. I still preferred my cars' setup but it made me realize how much a RWS 991 feels much more like a Cayman/mid engine car and the non-RWS car felt much more like a classic 911; pendulum effect and clear dynamics of engine in the rear. To me, that's another facet of the choice: do you want your car to feel more mid or more classic 911. Choose accordingly.
The following 4 users liked this post by ChrisF:
Porsche911GTS'16 (04-08-2020), SCPgrom76 (04-09-2020), TurboS_GG (04-08-2020), worf928 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I’m a fan of PDCC and RAS and have one with and one without. @ChrisF’s post is pretty spot-on. RAS, from a butt-o-meter context, moves the engine forward and shortens the wheel base. PDCC provides dynamic range: ‘unpunishing‘ on crap roads but cornering like a go-kart; things that are impossible with a passive suspension.

Just like RAS, PDDC is always on. It’s always either softening or stiffening the sway bar toe links.

Of course this has never been discussed before:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1077...t-is-pdcc.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...the-track.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1066891-pdcc.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6787...cc-or-not.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/825877-pdcc-option.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8157...-question.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9988...yes-or-no.html

The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:26 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
PDCC is great but.... If you plan on doing any suspension mods it will take you to some dead ends. Can not do stiffer sway bars because PDCC, can not do sleeve over spring kits because of PDCC. If you dont plan to do suspension mods for occasional track use then I recommend getting it. It works really well on the track, just cant take the suspension further without full coilover swap.
Both Elephant Racing and KW have sleeve coilover kits that are compatible with PDCC. As far as I know the only sleeve kit that does not support PDCC is the H&R. Additionally as mentioned KW, Ohlins and Bilstein have PDCC compatible full coilover kits.

Where have you seen that you cannot change your sway bar with PDCC? As long as it is the same shape as the PDCC bar why wouldn't it work?

-------------------------------

My car has PDCC. If I was ordering my car, or had the choice of the identical car without, I would probably skip it. One more thing to go break, more weight etc. If the GT cars don't need it, than neither do it.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Our 991.2 had RWS (PDCC is standard on that build) and it was superb. I wouldn't get a 991.2 without it; 991.2 models I have driven without PDCC weren't different enough from a 991.1 to justify the difference: in fact, I prefer the NA engine and the way it builds power. It is telling that the NA engine is going back into the 718 GTS models! I wouldn't be surprised if a 992 NA engine shows up at some point on something other than a GT car.

RWS is a huge step up though. For me, it is the reason to buy a .2 over a .1.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:11 PM
cdwilly79
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you the links and input. Sorry for not mentioning that I was sure there were numerous threads and write ups about my question but was having trouble locating anything useful. You have all helped change that. You all definitely gave me more tools for my research and should help tremendously. Stay safe!

Quick Reply: 991.2 4 GTS, PDCC?