Sponsored by:

A Layman's DIY on removing a Porsche Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 357 Posts
Default A Layman's DIY on removing a Porsche Exhaust

I put together a DIY video when I recently swapped out my PSE exhaust. I believe the work is identical for the non-PSE exhaust.

If the car hadn't had significant nut/bolt rusting problems this video would have been pretty danged straightforward and I'd bet I could have done the removal in less than an hour, jacking up the car included. However, my car had lived its first 20k miles in Utah and had been exposed to significant winter driving conditions, so the nuts and bolts were the most rusted out I had encountered on a 911. So I started the video with an optimistic tone but ended up with having to do extra work to remove the sleeves that go between the center and side mufflers and the exhaust tips.

I don't show the failed attempts to remove the seized/rusted-out nuts/bolts for the sake of brevity. Fortunately, all of this was still conquered and the cut-out parts have stock replacements.

Originally this was going to be a DIY install for the Soul Performance Products exhaust but I decided to break it into two segments. This is the first. The work here is applicable to any aftermarket exhaust install in any case. I think it is also useful for those with clean exhaust hardware, you can just skip over the cutting parts and breeze right through the removal. And for those with hardware stuck like mine, it will give you one workable approach for solving it.

BTW, for those that have done work on a 997 exhaust, I found everything on the 991 to be much easier to access.

Disclaimer: I'm not the greatest mechanic, so others may have a better approach on how to deal with the issues I encountered. This is just how I did it. Please feel free to provide any recommendations on improved approaches!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone asked recently whether the PSE can be removed without removing the rear bumper cover and bumper. From watching your video, I gotta say it seems removing the rear bumper makes it a lot easier.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:26 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

IMHO: The only thing that made it difficult in my case was cutting the straps. Without that it would have been pretty easy from underneath. All of the bolts are made to be accessible from below.

My general philosophy is that if I don't have clear gains from removing something, then I don't since that removal could break something other than what I was trying to do in the first place (and yes this has happened more than once). In this case, you would have to remove the taillights, the bumper cover, and once that is off, the rear heat shielding as well. All unnecessary work and risks to me. I'd bet it would take substantially longer that way too.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:40 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Great video, your patience and tenacity is to be admired. I am going to doing the center muffler delete and an install of a GMG racing exhaust on my GT3 in the next couple of weeks. Being a bit long of tooth, I am working up the courage to face the a few days of post install neck pain, along with other reminders that I am no longer a kid. I refuse to give in to malady's of getting older. This is a clear case of an old Joni Mitchell lyric. "the head says no but the heart says go"!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

StormRune - Not a bad job. I hate working with cars from the North East. That being said, some of the best fabricators I know come from there .... necessity being a mother, and all that.

Frank - When the time comes, by all means shoot me quick emails if/when issues arise. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

-Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-21-2017, 04:24 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Frank - When the time comes, by all means shoot me quick emails if/when issues arise. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

-Andrew
Waiting for my permanent plates as I purchased out of state. Need to determine if I have to go through NJ inspection. If so, that will have to be done first as l probably won't pass.

I will post pics as I go through the process.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
Someone asked recently whether the PSE can be removed without removing the rear bumper cover and bumper. From watching your video, I gotta say it seems removing the rear bumper makes it a lot easier.
it does IMO... YMMV
Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it does IMO... YMMV
Agree with you. I decided to change out the air filter and plugs as I do the install of the GMG exhaust.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Agree with you. I decided to change out the air filter and plugs as I do the install of the GMG exhaust.
definitely a good idea while you have the bumper off ...
Old 07-21-2017, 07:19 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 101 Posts

Anyone that has aero cup kit remove there rear bumper? I was wondering how to access the top center bolts for bumper when u cant manually lift rear spoiler?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by *991*
Anyone that has aero cup kit remove there rear bumper? I was wondering how to access the top center bolts for bumper when u cant manually lift rear spoiler?
pictures? - you mean the 4x torx screws along the rear edge under the trailing
lip of the wing? - not too mention the screws retaining the tail lights?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:15 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
pictures? - you mean the 4x torx screws along the rear edge under the trailing
lip of the wing? - not too mention the screws retaining the tail lights?
My C2 with the Aero kit only has 2 torx bolts to remove the rear spoiler. Confused?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
My C2 with the Aero kit only has 2 torx bolts to remove the rear spoiler. Confused?
not spoiler, bumper cover, go look at the photos in the 991 forum I did for the AWE DIY install ... you'll see what I mean...
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Larry, I hadn't seen your DIY before. It came along before I had my 991. It's very nicely done!

For those wanting to see how to do the removal in a photo-based thread WITH the bumper-removal approach this one is good to follow.

Here's the link to Larry's DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9295...stall-gts.html

Quick Reply: A Layman's DIY on removing a Porsche Exhaust