Sponsored by:

To PDCC or not-

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts
Default To PDCC or not-

I have another week on my 991 order to lock in my options. I'm really uncertain of the PDCC option. Other than Gallion, I haven't heard of any comparison of the 991 with and without the PDDC option. My local dealer launch today didn't have a PDCC car to test drive.

On the plus side- the most modern technologically advanced suspension, flat cornering, reportedly more comfortable on uneven or poor roads, big improvement on Cayenne with PDCC, etc.

On the down side- handling is already pretty good with the PASM 911 without PDCC, $3000, more technology to go bad and cost more out of warranty, hinder or help track days?

Unless I fly somewhere in the next week, I don't have any way to drive both. Anyone drive a launch car with the PDCC?

Being in a snow area, many of our roads are terrible. If it smooths out the harshness of potholes and countless road repairs and patches,
it would be worth it to me.

Any thoughts? Anyone drive both? Is there any way it will drive worse than without it? Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder what the repair/maintenace cost will be on options like PDCC in 15-20 years when parts start to break and wear out?

I did a test ride in the 991 with the PDCC.....but I was not pushing the car enough to evaluate. Car felt great over railroad tracks and manhole covers.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

You should read the "991S on track" post elswhere in this forum. The comments about rear tire wear make perfect sense as PDCC works to keep the tire planted on the pavement as it counteracts lean. Although nothing is cheap to repair on a Porsche, the system is supposed to be simplified from that on the Cayenne. The only real downside is the cost, and my feeling is that a year from now that extra 2-3% it cost you to get PDCC won't be noticed. I'd order it.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I have another week on my 991 order to lock in my options. I'm really uncertain of the PDCC option. Other than Gallion, I haven't heard of any comparison of the 991 with and without the PDDC option. My local dealer launch today didn't have a PDCC car to test drive.

On the plus side- the most modern technologically advanced suspension, flat cornering, reportedly more comfortable on uneven or poor roads, big improvement on Cayenne with PDCC, etc.

On the down side- handling is already pretty good with the PASM 911 without PDCC, $3000, more technology to go bad and cost more out of warranty, hinder or help track days?

Unless I fly somewhere in the next week, I don't have any way to drive both. Anyone drive a launch car with the PDCC?

Being in a snow area, many of our roads are terrible. If it smooths out the harshness of potholes and countless road repairs and patches,

Any thoughts? Anyone drive both? Is there any way it will drive worse than without it? Thanks
ditto what Mike said above.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't order it b'coz of the cost. A 991 with zero options gives you more than the handling you'll ever need or use. But if money were not an issue, I would get it to say I have it. If I order a turbo 3yrs down the road, I'll order this option,if it is not standard on that one.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I have not driven it, but the reports on PDCC relaxing sway bars, when not pushed, would seem to me to be believable on a cushier ride than without PDCC.

I went back and forth on this and ultimately checked the box for PASM Sport and added the PDCC to put some comfort back into the ride for daily driver on less-than-perfect Mid-Atlantic roads. (Also, this is a present from my significant other, so thought I would give her the nod on a bit of extra ride comfort -- the least I could do.)

That, and I am curious to see how the car will drive with the "hand of god" holding it flat in the bends.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam

I have driven both and you absolutely should get PDCC. It will pay for itself over time just in rear tire wear. Not to mention the advantages of the Dynamic Engine Mounts from the GT3 that can incorporated into the PDCC system with Sport Chrono.

You will have a 991 that rides as good or better than without while still having a car that is far superior in handling.

I would not be concerned about it's technology. It's been simplified from the system on the Cayenne and Panamera for weight savings and doesn't really have a lot to go wrong..

You will absolutely be amazed by the difference in tire wear because of PDCC because it constantly corrects the contact patch to the driving and road conditions.

Last edited by Abby Normal; 02-04-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

Leaning that way anyway- done now. thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Dynamic engine mounts are part of the Chrono package, not PDCC, if I am not mistaken.

Thx for on-track review. Tire wear savings would be welcome, too.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Dynamic engine mounts are part of the Chrono package, not PDCC, if I am not mistaken.

Thx for on-track review. Tire wear savings would be welcome, too.
I was just correcting my wording. The cars we had with Sport Chrono all had PDCC and Dynamic mounts. An incredible package when combined. The cars without them were much different.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I would only expect less rear tire wear if the car is aligned by the factory with less negative camber because the PDCC allows less body lean at the extremes, and I haven't read that to be the case anywhere. Also, since the sway bars are "relaxed" somewhat by this system there might be a slight improvement in straight line pothole hit ride quality, but since shocks and springs play a much larger role and they are unchanged I wouldn't expect too much.
On the otherhand, PDCC and R-spec tires might be the most unfair advantage on the autocross ever!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info. Relaxing sway bars and better planted rear tires on cornering are worth the cost of PDDC for me.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 AM
tibookx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think PDCC is THE killer feature for the 991. Without PDCC, this car is great, but the balance and poise every member & reviewer (as well as video) has talked about with PDCC makes it just that appealing. To corner that flat constantly makes the car that much more driveable.

Also, if you're thinking resale value down the road, I think PDCC will be a major option people will be looking for.... I'll be driving the 991 Monday w/ my cousin actually Saw it in WI this weekend and was just.... floored. Our family rebuilds Porsches and we both were blown away.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Ask yourself the following question? Do I want the best possible 'active' performance, along with its added complexity, and an artificial 'skyhook' ride, or am I perfectly happy with superb dynamic/organic mechanical suspension performance? If you prefer the latter, nix PDCC.

Of course, PASM already adds an active layer... do you want yet another?

BTW... hardcore manual-tranny fans, should avoid the less involved PDCC regulated ride.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Ask yourself the following question? Do I want the best possible 'active' performance, along with its added complexity, and an artificial 'skyhook' ride, or am I perfectly happy with superb dynamic/organic mechanical suspension performance? If you prefer the latter, nix PDCC.

Of course, PASM already adds an active layer... do you want yet another?

BTW... hardcore manual-tranny fans, should avoid the less involved PDCC regulated ride.
Tony, the ride and handling response of my Cayenne with PDCC is neither "skyhook" nor "less involved". It doesn't feel artificial, the car simply responds to my inputs and goes where I point it, which seems like a positive thing to me. There's no inherent goodness in steel springs and hydraulic shocks, there are just suspensions that make a car handle well and fun to drive, regardless of how that is achieved, and those that don't. The standard suspension on the Carrera is excellent, but that doesn't stop you and me from enjoying the extra increment of performance that PASM provides. PDCC takes that one step further, not by regulating or filtering the driving experience, but by providing additional capability. I don't know how much seat time you've had with a PDCC equipped car, but mine has been extensive, and at least until the first out-of-warranty repair is required, if that ever happens , I can only find good things to say about it.

Quick Reply: To PDCC or not-