Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC or RAS - if you could only pick one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:18 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PDCC or RAS - if you could only pick one?

I've read a lot on here about PDCC and RAS and I realize that this is subjective to a degree, but if you could pick one only - what would it be?
My build is a 991.2 Targa GTS and it is already getting up there in $$.
I am personally not going to track the car, but I enjoy spirited driving here and there. I live in a major city/suburbs so even that is limited.
Thanks to everyone for their past and future advice!
Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Do you want a smooth ride or do you want to feel like you are changing the laws of physics when you turn? Your answer will dictate your choice... If you can swing PDCC then RAS really isn't that much more. A few years, you won't even remember the price difference...

Luck!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by S S
Do you want a smooth ride or do you want to feel like you are changing the laws of physics when you turn? Your answer will dictate your choice... If you can swing PDCC then RAS really isn't that much more. A few years, you won't even remember the price difference...

Luck!

True
So which of the options would give a smoother ride? Pdcc ras or both?
I'd love a smooth ride for daily driving but the option to drive more spiritedly (is that a word?)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

PDCC is active all the time, but the suspension and engine-transaxle mounts are both adjustable with the PDCC button. I like the flat cornering and softer ride combo it offers for rough streets and roads. You can set it to come jarring for razor sharp handling on smooth roads and track.
RAS is about having the shortest turning circle of all the Porsche sportcars, best parking maneuverability, and incredible high-speed anti-skid control.
Im spoiled, I want em both!
If over budget, I'd opt for a sunroof coupe over the Targa, instead of chopping performance options.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by pmiddy
I am personally not going to track the car, but I enjoy spirited driving here and there. I live in a major city/suburbs so even that is limited
I'm going to ask a more objective question.

Did you buy a GTS or 4 GTS?

GTS = RAS
4 GTS = PDCC
Old 08-20-2019, 11:08 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by NCheok
I'm going to ask a more objective question.

Did you buy a GTS or 4 GTS?

GTS = RAS
4 GTS = PDCC

Targa 4 GTS. So appreciate the advice - why do you say that? (newbie - apologize for my ignorance)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

All Targas have all wheel drive so it is a "4". And he is getting a Targa so forget the Sunroof Coupe (smart choice OP).

I drove cars with and without PDCC and RAS and I optioned RAS since I did not notice much of a difference with the former but did with the latter, and I could have had both but I did not see a reason to spend money on something that did not provide a benefit. Some do say they could tell a difference with PDCC but if you are not going to track and don't mind a little body roll I say skip it but as any option goes you should try and experience it. In regards to comfort a lot depends on the roads you frequent along with tire pressures.
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

I've read a lot on here about PDCC and RAS and I realize that this is subjective to a degree, but if you could pick one only - what would it be?
I am personally not going to track the car, but I enjoy spirited driving here and there. I live in a major city/suburbs so even that is limited.
RAS - Help you with parking (turning radius) - makes the car much better on the track (or backroads)
I track my car and don't have PDCC - I couldn't tell the difference with SPASM
Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 406 Posts

If you are not going to the track and live near a major city, most likely you will not notice much difference with either RAS or PDCC. I have access to plenty of twisty backroads in NH and VT and my C4S without either is extremely capable. I have driven a car with RAS and I could not tell much of a difference. In my car, I can carry a lot of speed into corners with extreme confidence. The Targa is heavier but with the kind of driving that you are describing, the adjustable dampers with the sport PASM should be enough. Unless you are dying to spend more money. More stuff to break IMO.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

This has actually been discussed a lot in the past: search this forum on "RAS" and "PDCC" and read the posts but again, if you can drive cars with those options you'll be able to decide.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

RAS

I actually prefer the 911 without PDCC

On something like the Cayenne, PDCC is almost a must. On a 911? No.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I would spec them both because I like them both for the different purposes that they serve (as explained previously). I have the PDCC in my GTS (RAS was not an option) and RAS in my GT3 (PDCC is not an option). If I were pressed to choose one or the other, it would be the RAS as I agree with the others that the difference between PDCC and no PDCC is smaller than the difference between RAS and no RAS. The RAS is a game-changer. The PDCC is nice to have and definitely noticeable but it is not the game-changer the RAS is.
dsddcd (06-06-2020)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 PM
pmiddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I would spec them both because I like them both for the different purposes that they serve (as explained previously). I have the PDCC in my GTS (RAS was not an option) and RAS in my GT3 (PDCC is not an option). If I were pressed to choose one or the other, it would be the RAS as I agree with the others that the difference between PDCC and no PDCC is smaller than the difference between RAS and no RAS. The RAS is a game-changer. The PDCC is nice to have and definitely noticeable but it is not the game-changer the RAS is.

THANKS EVERYONE
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
All Targas have all wheel drive so it is a "4".
Thank you, learn something new everyday.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Personally, neither. Both add weight and complexity and put a computer further between the driver and road.
smiles11 (06-04-2020)

Quick Reply: PDCC or RAS - if you could only pick one?