Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to bring out the battery tender.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 12:39 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I'm all over using tenders. The stock battery with my 2015 GTS is NOT an AGM, is it?

I've had two 4 bank Battery Tenders fail. I think I fixed one of them, but can't remember now.

I bought a Noco Genius 4 bank as I have a lot of cars and bikes. It feels much nicer quality than the Battery Tender and it's been great.
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G4-Advanced-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0068EV26I/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SS9DY73LFOS2&dchild=1&keywords=noco+4+bank+charger&qid=1587353351&sprefix=noco+4%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G4-Advanced-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0068EV26I/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SS9DY73LFOS2&dchild=1&keywords=noco+4+bank+charger&qid=1587353351&sprefix=noco+4%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-1

I got a Optimate 4 with a Ducati I bought. That's some slick stuff. If what they claim is true about de-sulphation it's real engineering. I might buy a multi-bank for my bikes. They don't make a multi-bank for cars https://optimate1.com/product-catego...rs/?featured=1
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (04-30-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio

I got a Optimate 4 with a Ducati I bought. That's some slick stuff. If what they claim is true about de-sulphation it's real engineering. I might buy a multi-bank for my bikes. They don't make a multi-bank for cars https://optimate1.com/product-catego...rs/?featured=1
Been using Optimate for several years with excellent results. Have several model 4's and 6's.The 4's are connected all year round to the batteries of some racing karts and they have never failed. The 6's are used for my cars also with very good results. Never a failure on any of them.

The de-sulphatation seems to work since I haven't changed the Kart batteries in a a long time and they are still going strong. Since Karts don't have on board charging, it is very usual that you have to change the batteries quite often.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I'm all over using tenders. The stock battery with my 2015 GTS is NOT an AGM, is it?
Your 2015 GTS came from the factory with a stock AGM battery.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:59 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Mines on a battery tender... in middle of a move (in middle of covid 19)
its in the garage at my rental house... while I wait to close on my new home.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:31 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Mines on a battery tender... in middle of a move (in middle of covid 19)
its in the garage at my rental house... while I wait to close on my new home.
Yea we just moved into the Big House and I expanded my company. What could go wrong?
Old 04-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
... the dang thing no longer works.
Fixed my post above.

Took the unit off today to run to Lowe's for some parts to repair the toilet at the Apt. Got back and set up the CTEK again, since I wasn't going to drive it for a while. Same exact issue, the CTEK will not move off the 'off' position according to the indicator light.

At this point I am thoroughly disappointed in both the performance of the product as well as the Company. To date I've not been contacted by the so called customer service dept at CTEK regarding my issue. (I realize I 'no longer' have a warranty having opened up the unit to attempt to fix the switch).

Since I'm not without a functioning charger, I'll be investigating other options going forward. I'm sure the CTEK unit works for other folks, but not for me. I do like their style of connector, it would be nice but not required to find a charger with them.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Since I'm not without a functioning charger, I'll be investigating other options going forward.
Found this NOCO "Genius 1" unit for $30...any history on this brand? 338 ratings on Amazon, average 4.6 out of 5.0. It appears to use X-connect type cables, which would be cool if these were the same as the CTEK "comfort connect". But it does not look like they are the same form factor. Rats.

Still, $30 and should do the trick. I plan to order one since I am about to dump my CTEK 3300 in the bin.

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I use the big Genius as I think I mentioned in this thread and it seems to be super high quality. I think these guys and Optimate are the best you can buy.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:02 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

I use the big Genius as I think I mentioned in this thread and it seems to be super high quality. I think these guys and Optimate are the best you can buy.
Thanks, I ordered a Genius 1 (I figure I'm mostly topping off/maintaining vs. trying to refill a 50% AGM 65 Ah battery.)

Bummer about not being able to use my Comfort Connect extentions, so I ordered a X-Connect cable. Should be here in a week or two so I can plug it in.

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (11-13-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 06:11 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I ordered a Genius 1 (I figure I'm mostly topping off/maintaining vs. trying to refill a 50% AGM 65 Ah battery.)

Bummer about not being able to use my Comfort Connect extentions, so I ordered a X-Connect cable. Should be here in a week or two so I can plug it in.

You can get adapters
Old 04-30-2020, 07:35 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Does it do a better quality top off of the battery than a $20 one on Amazon? Back it up.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:54 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Does it do a better quality top off of the battery than a $20 one on Amazon? Back it up.

What $20 one? The $30 Noco I would bet is quite nice.

How would I know? I can say it doesn't break like the two four-bank Battery Tenders I bought that DID, and the Ctek people complain about here. And the NOCO has AGM settings, and looks like a million bucks in my garage, for not much money.

The Optimate has desulphating functions, and that means a lot, but I just got it with a bike I bought. I'm looking at their other models, and they are bad-***. I don't need to sweat a few more bucks. I have six bikes and four cars that I don't want to screw with because I used some crap that FAILED but I didn't even know it failed. And four batteries turn to sh*t. That's what happened to me.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

What $20 one? The $30 Noco I would bet is quite nice.

How would I know? I can say it doesn't break like the two four-bank Battery Tenders I bought that DID, and the Ctek people complain about here. And the NOCO has AGM settings, and looks like a million bucks in my garage, for not much money.

The Optimate has desulphating functions, and that means a lot, but I just got it with a bike I bought. I'm looking at their other models, and they are bad-***. I don't need to sweat a few more bucks. I have six bikes and four cars that I don't want to screw with because I used some crap that FAILED but I didn't even know it failed. And four batteries turn to sh*t. That's what happened to me.
Oh, I see. I'll take the million bucks.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:59 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I am not a fan of the optimate for my lithium battery. Doesn’t seem to work at all and the status lights leave me guessing as to what is going on. Maybe it’s just me. Perfectly happy with the battery tender and an Xpower desulfator I used on my lead/acid batteries in the past.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
I am not a fan of the optimate for my lithium battery. Doesn’t seem to work at all and the status lights leave me guessing as to what is going on. Maybe it’s just me. Perfectly happy with the battery tender and an Xpower desulfator I used on my lead/acid batteries in the past.
You should not use a standard battery tender meant for lead/acid batteries on a lithium ion battery, as they're unable to read state of charge for them. The result may be overcharging and Kaboom. CTEK and others have a dedicated lithium ion tender available.

Quick Reply: Time to bring out the battery tender.