Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to bring out the battery tender.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 AM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

As of Monday the new NYS guidelines added some clarity to my line of work, we are still operational in certain sectors and I do have to drive out and perform weekly inspections on our sites as a NYC requirement.

But yes you are absolutely correct, driving around in the P-car is def not essential! Stay healthy!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:40 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpat3l
I don't see an issue with driving, the executive order pertains to non-essential work and social distancing, there are plenty of cops around NYC and no one has stopped me in the past 2 weeks. I haven't been getting out of the car or stopping to meet people other than pulling over and taking an occasional picture.
Maybe you guys disagree?
I agree.. If you are leaving your house and staying in your car (or at least not being around anyone if you get out for a quick photo), why is going for a drive to save your sanity a bad thing?
The following users liked this post:
verstraete (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I think some people are misinterpreting the "stay at home" order. It is intended to prevent people from putting themselves in a situation where you are exposing yourself to close proximity of other people. Leaving your home is the only way that could happen. But it does NOT mean you can't leave your home at all unless you have to accomplish something essential like grocery shopping or essential work. For example, getting exercise like hiking, running, etc. is fully endorsed. And driving somewhere to do that is fine. I am going fishing later today. I will be driving there. The state of MA has continued stocking trout on schedule and endorses going fishing. (Same for many states). I will not be overly close to any humans. Yes there is a stay at home order here. But the name is a misnomer. Keep your distance from people. That is the key. Nothing wrong with driving.
The following 6 users liked this post by JW911:
AdamSanta85 (04-01-2020), AlexCeres (04-06-2020), CDACH (04-01-2020), Jim991 (04-05-2020), mrpat3l (04-26-2020), verstraete (04-02-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2020, 12:26 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpat3l
As of Monday the new NYS guidelines added some clarity to my line of work, we are still operational in certain sectors and I do have to drive out and perform weekly inspections on our sites as a NYC requirement.

But yes you are absolutely correct, driving around in the P-car is def not essential! Stay healthy!
I happen to be overseeing a site that is deemed essential. This particular project is residential, with an "affordable housing" component. Most of the units in the building are market rate, luxury units, but the affordable component allows us to keep working. Fewer and fewer workers are showing up every day, but the developer is still pushiing for completion. Doing my best to work remotely.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't shut the frunk very easily because charger clips are too big. Even if I could, I'd be reluctant to lock the car because locking and unlocking it both trigger a lighting up extravaganza throughout the car, including headlights to drain the battery. I've disconnected the courtesy bulb inside the frunk. Anyone comment on this approach?
And I can't be totally sure my 20 year old charger is actually charging or maintaining the battery that well. The light says it is but I'm not too sure if I've got the clips positioned right or firmly enough on the terminals

Old 04-01-2020, 02:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

/\the frunk courtesy light WILL shut off after about 30 minutes. FYI.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
Gary JR (04-01-2020), Peter80 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Thanks, No I dont use Ctek. I use Tenders, this is the one
Mine is like this. Simple...you know what it's doing at all times.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Virtually certain, yes, a '19 991 would use an AGM. My '17 has an AGM.

Check your owners manual. Mine includes the below:

Thanks for the response. I couldn't find an online owners manual anywhere, but found it in my hard copy and it matches yours. So AGM it is, which means I am using the snowflake.
Need4S (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:22 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I think some people are misinterpreting the "stay at home" order. It is intended to prevent people from putting themselves in a situation where you are exposing yourself to close proximity of other people. Leaving your home is the only way that could happen. But it does NOT mean you can't leave your home at all unless you have to accomplish something essential like grocery shopping or essential work. For example, getting exercise like hiking, running, etc. is fully endorsed. And driving somewhere to do that is fine. I am going fishing later today. I will be driving there. The state of MA has continued stocking trout on schedule and endorses going fishing. (Same for many states). I will not be overly close to any humans. Yes there is a stay at home order here. But the name is a misnomer. Keep your distance from people. That is the key. Nothing wrong with driving.
Where you going to fish?/ Im out here in the Springfield area
Old 04-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I just watched a story on TV where the number of people in the Orlando area speeding has increased 10 fold, with most of the roads having very light traffic, just the opposite of how it is there. Many are getting appearance tickets since they are going 30 over and the newscaster was astonished that one person was stopped for going 95 in a 55! Just 40 over?! I double it on occasion. And a trooper said that most people he is stopping is tell him they were surprised they were stopped (really?), and they can also get a $500 ticket for violating the stay at home order albeit they have to prove it. But if you tell them you were out getting groceries, 30 miles away from home, you better come up with a better excuse.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
I remember this topic from years ago and someone saying that leaving the car unlocked is in fact a massive drain on the battery because it puts all the electronics in "here we go" mode and ready to activate when you jump in to your unlocked car, as opposed to being asleep in a locked car.
I read that, too. So as much as it seems insane to lock my car in my own locked garage, I do that if I know the car will sit for more than a couple of days. If it will sit for longer than that (like I'm away on a business trip; remember those?), I connect to a tender. I use the footwell socket, so for the socket to stay connected, the car needs to be locked for that also. Stay healthy and safe, everyone!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

That certainly seems right. I can't see how you'd get the virus if you drive point A to point A and stay in your car. But be careful when you refuel, like use disposable nitrile gloves so you don't get infected by another person touching the handle.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
That certainly seems right. I can't see how you'd get the virus if you drive point A to point A and stay in your car. But be careful when you refuel, like use disposable nitrile gloves so you don't get infected by another person touching the handle.
I do that plus Lysol wipes.
Need4S (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Santor7
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought this on Amazon. Works great so far. Just keep my car locked up to shut down unnecessary system.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

I've been putting my charger (CTEK Multi US 3300) on and off past couple weeks, as I've not had a chance to get it on the road (it is my daily driver.)

My process has been pretty consistent:

- Lower driver door window
- Insert 12V outlet adapter into 12V outlet at center of dash pedestal
- Note dim light on "power" LED on CTEK
- Lock car
- Plug CTEK in wall outlet
- Switch "mode" to "snowflake"
- Note CTEK shows "charging process" LED status lamp illuminated

I've done this perhaps daily, leaving the charger on in this way for up to 24 hours - but the CTEK never got to where the "charging complete" LED indicator illuminated. Which, I thought, for a '17, with it's original AGM battery (I assume), which prior to storage had been run virtually daily, seemed kind of odd.

As an experiment this morning, I grabbed the alligator clip attachment, and slipped off the 12V outlet attachment, putting the alligator clip in it's place on the 12V side of the CTEK.

I followed virtually the same process, but hooking the CTEK up direct:

- Open frunk and remove upper cover tray
- Attach positive and negative alligator clamps direct to battery
- Note dim light on "power" LED on CTEK
- Lock car (frunk light went out)
- Plug CTEK in wall outlet
- Switch "mode" to "snowflake"

This time, the CTEK showed "charging complete" like, immediately.

Woah.

So my conclusion is that all this time, at least for my CTEK model, and my car, plugging the CTEK into the cigarette lighter port was virtually pointless; or at least the car never reached the point where the CTEK could do it's job of maintaining the battery.

Quick Reply: Time to bring out the battery tender.