Sponsored by:

Time to bring out the battery tender.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:05 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yeah, cannot imagine how much time, effort, and electricity you would waste!
Correct. Times "after each drive". I have better things to do.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,190 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Going on vacation & car will be stored for about 3 weeks. Would my car require a battery tender for only 3 weeks away? I’ve always gone by a one month rule with no issues.
Originally Posted by Gary JR
That would be a waste of time, effort and electricity.
Originally Posted by Gary JR
Correct. Times "after each drive". I have better things to do.

You must be confused having better things to do. @smiles11 is going on vacation for 3 weeks. There will be no "Times 'after each drive'". Not for 3 weeks at least, and when he gets back, his rule is one month.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (11-14-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 01:08 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,342 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Just a quick update and a final remark about the NOCO Genius 1: The charge reached "full" sometime last night. When I shut down the garage it had switched to a pulsing green light. I would guess it took about 8 hours, plus or minus, to get to full charge (I have a stock OEM Banner 80 Ah AGM Battery). I had driven the car Friday to go back and forth to work, but nothing that week, as I only went in Friday.

The last feature I wanted to mention was that the NOCO unit 'remembers' the previous mode it was in, if 110VAC is removed then reapplied. So if for example, you had your car on charge, and had power go out in your house, and later came back on, charging would resume. With the CTEK, it would always wake up in 'standby', and had to be manually switched to "AGM". Which I think is a plus for the NOCO.

Since things are working out, I'll probably go into the frunk today to Ty-Wrap the NOCO pigtail on the battery bracket a bit more securely so it's not flopping around so much. Pretty happy with it, and would highly recommend the NOCO vs. the CTEK based on my experience.
Thanks for the pics, links and reviews. I have a 2019 T and it looks like the Genius 1 is compatible. I have that ready to go in my Amazon cart but have a questions on the additional piece you bought. Is that just tabs that you can screw down versus crocodile clips? Do you perhaps have the Amazon link for that as there are a number of variants as far as I can see... Thanks!
Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 PM
smiles11
Drifting

Received 3,379 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
When I leave mine I always plug it in. Who knows with Covid if I might get locked down and not get back to the car for months. This way I dont have to worry.
Originally Posted by Bemo
I plug mine in after each drive.
Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I would say anything more than a week, plug 'er in.
Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
I would, yes.
Originally Posted by JW911
I leave mine plugged in always. I have a very, very long extension cord that allows me this freedom. Technically I don't even need a battery due to my charging diligence but it gives me peace of mind to leave it in there.
You must be confused having better things to do. @smiles11 is going on vacation for 3 weeks. There will be no "Times 'after each drive'". Not for 3 weeks at least, and when he gets back, his rule is one month.
I appreciate the feedback fellas...

Decided to just play it safe.

Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2020, 08:54 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

To clarify, mine is at my other home so Im not there all the time.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:17 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,190 Likes on 715 Posts

@B Russ - I'd be wary of charging like that, specifically leaving your frunk opened overnight (if that is what you do). Critters can/will crawl into your frunk and other parts of your car. Them critters love nibbling on the electrical wiring.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:33 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
To clarify, mine is at my other home so Im not there all the time.
Mine is exactly the same year after year with no problems.

Only I add a cord cover to prevent tripping.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-14-2020, 09:21 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

Thanks guys, I don't usually leave it like that for long. That pic was while I was installing the Cobb for the first time. Normally the cord is snaked up out the windshield access and the frunk is closed. I do use my detailing seat to keep the unit off the ground.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:06 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Thanks for the pics, links and reviews. I have a 2019 T and it looks like the Genius 1 is compatible. I have that ready to go in my Amazon cart but have a questions on the additional piece you bought. Is that just tabs that you can screw down versus crocodile clips? Do you perhaps have the Amazon link for that as there are a number of variants as far as I can see... Thanks!
On mine, the crocodile clips attach to the pigtail with screws. You just undo the screws and then use the terminals under the screws to attach to the battery. The terminals are round and perfectly sized to fit the OEM battery posts.

In other words, you can convert the NOCO from crocodile clip mode, to direct connect mode, with a screwdriver.

The "additional" item I bought was a length of extention cable, with clips on either end. I just didn't have enough cable with the NOCO as it was built to reach from the car to my outlet.

I'm happy to take more pictures if it will help, the car is just out in the garage on charge.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

@B Russ - I'd be wary of charging like that, specifically leaving your frunk opened overnight (if that is what you do). Critters can/will crawl into your frunk and other parts of your car. Them critters love nibbling on the electrical wiring.

That happened to me. Had a rat make a bed next to the battery. That's why I use a cigarette lighter adapter on my 2012 and 2015 GTS. Just crack the window.

Quick Reply: Time to bring out the battery tender.