Received 738 Likes on 454 Posts

looking for a counterfeit 3.8
Old 08-25-2021, 02:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
looking for a counterfeit 3.8

Here you go....without bore scoring of course.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Yup, even "genuine" labeled OEM parts have a margin of error where they are rejected - and depending on where the contractor is manufacturing the part, those "rejects" are commonly boxed up and resold to recoup the failure costs.

This is different than simply taking an oversupply of Porsche gas caps and throwing them into a different box and marking them down to sell off the rest of their inventory. Gotta make room for the new style gas caps from the 992's! 😂
Yea maybe. The biggest fear of anyone getting their products made in China is the factory using your molds, technology, etc and making it to sell themselves. Either domestically in China or in this case, around the world. It happens all the time.

Back in the day, you could get exact copies of all kinds of products, and they called them "A copy" or "B copy" or even "C copy" for the real cheap stuff. All you needed was to go to the market with someone that is Chinese and ask for "A copy" and then you would go into a hidden area behind a fake wall. Back then it was known that at times contract factories would simply move things sideways. What I saw SHOCKED me.

I was doing business with a division of CATIC and they made sure the supplied interpreter gave me anything I wanted, though my real interest was learning how to do business and not get screwed. Now last time I was there I was doing some shopping and was curious about the state of counterfeits. It's not the same as it was. No more A copy. Or very little. While they have clamped down officially the people have not.

Ali Express is like Ebay. Anything you want. Some copies, some genuine. It IS their Ebay. I've sourced genuine parts there for business more than once. I'm sure there are tons of reproduced aftermarket parts, just like aftermarket auto body parts that we see here. You can buy a Honda front bumper or an aftermarket one. Is that fake?

The question at hand is just a silly gas cap, and I can tell you number one Porsche didn't make that plastic chatzky in Germany and number two if you put them side by side anyone can see they come from the same factory and indeed are the same part. You show me the markings you said were different, and I'll accept that as proof.

This is me on the left 20 years ago. What a riot we had.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 08-25-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:59 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Yea maybe. The biggest fear of anyone getting their products made in China is the factory using your molds, technology, etc and making it to sell themselves. Either domestically in China or in this case, around the world. It happens all the time.

Back in the day, you could get exact copies of all kinds of products, and they called them "A copy" or "B copy" or even "C copy" for the real cheap stuff. All you needed was to go to the market with someone that is Chinese and ask for "A copy" and then you would go into a hidden area behind a fake wall. Back then it was known that at times contract factories would simply move things sideways. What I saw SHOCKED me.

I was doing business with a division of CATIC and they made sure the supplied interpreter gave me anything I wanted, though my real interest was learning how to do business and not get screwed. Now last time I was there I was doing some shopping and was curious about the state of counterfeits. It's not the same as it was. No more A copy. Or very little. While they have clamped down officially the people have not.

Ali Express is like Ebay. Anything you want. Some copies, some genuine. It IS their Ebay. I've sourced genuine parts there for business more than once. I'm sure there are tons of reproduced aftermarket parts, just like aftermarket auto body parts that we see here. You can buy a Honda front bumper or an aftermarket one. Is that fake?

The question at hand is just a silly gas cap, and I can tell you number one Porsche didn't make that plastic chatzky in Germany and number two if you put them side by side anyone can see they come from the same factory and indeed are the same part. You show me the markings you said were different, and I'll accept that as proof.

This is me on the left 20 years ago. What a riot we had.
Sounds like quite the experience you have had. I try not to manufacture in mainland China because of the reasons you provided, however I still use them for just the packaging for some of the brands that I sell. I have since transitioned to HK where they run a much tighter ship, but I don't use them for everything because of that fear of copying. (In my line of work, this is a huge concern).

Aftermarket bumpers are only considered knockoffs, if they are peddled as geniuine, which is the case in many instances for automotive products.

OP already shared a video of these copies, that nobody really seems to care about at this point, it's now become a contest of who knows best.

But like I mentioned, we'll get to the bottom of things and if i'm wrong, i'm wrong. My experience was negative enough for me to get rid of my gas cap and order a genuine one.

I know you have an ear for quality certainly, when it comes to music gear, which I respect. (Just got a c2700 McIntosh tube for vinyls and an MC462 for movies) so I don't think we're all that different, but I did really have a bad experience with my chinese gas cap and I cant stress that enough.

Quick Reply: OEM Porsche Aluminum Gas cap