Sponsored by:

What would you replace your 911 with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You must have read the review in the last Car & Driver! They loved it but too many problems took away from the experience...been there, done that so I agree.

Too hard to pick something for you, sorry, but for us my wife is getting a new G Wagon, and we do not have kids. However, check out the new Volvo wagon - a neighbor has one and it is pretty nice.
Ah, love the G Wagon. Truly the most "FU" car I can think of. Out of my price range for a pedestrian car though.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I'd hate to sound corny but there truly truly is no substitute. BMW/Mercedes. Bleh, not special. Any other Porsche, bleh. It would have to be another 911, performante, 675LT/720s, F12 etc..

If I can't have any of those I'm looking at a Ford Raptor/Toyota Tundra loaded and supercharged... MAYBE an Escalade lease or an older unique MT... Everything else today is an appliance. Cars are so overpriced. Paying 40/50/60-90k for anything in those segments is a pure rip off. We will see how the new C8 is.
Totally agree on your appliance statement here. That's why I don't want to really spend a lot as most "regular" daily cars are so replaceable and non-special. That's why this decision is so hard!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Wife's new Macan. Great car. I'm an Audi fan too. A4, S4, my son had an S3 also very nice car. But hard to beat the Macan.
Beautiful car. I'm leaning towards a Macan for now if I can find a good deal on one. I still want to check out the Audi sport back though.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Q5 unless you can afford to add on a second car for the practical stuff.

You are going to take a bath on your 911T if you sell it so soon.
Q5 or SQ5 (or either)? I'll take a bit of hit on the 911T, yes.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Macan is fun for sure, but since you already have an SUV, I would go for a sports sedan like Audi S4 or RS5. I had an RS4 for 5 years and loved it - understeer and all. I daily a new A6 now that has a great motor and electronics. One of my coworkers has an Alfa on lease and hasnt had any issues and enjoys the sportiness of it.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Personally I would keep the Carrera and lease a Jeep Grand Cherokee to haul the kids around in.
The leases are dirt cheap, so might be an option assuming I like how it drives and interior doesn't feel super cheap.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
The leases are dirt cheap, so might be an option assuming I like how it drives and interior doesn't feel super cheap.
This is very true. I lease a Cherokee for when the TTS goes under cover. $299 monthly. Silly cheap for a full leather interior awd with heated seats, etc....
Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

RS5 Sportback
Old 08-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You must have read the review in the last Car & Driver! They loved it but too many problems took away from the experience...been there, done that so I agree.

Too hard to pick something for you, sorry, but for us my wife is getting a new G Wagon, and we do not have kids. However, check out the new Volvo wagon - a neighbor has one and it is pretty nice.
Good suggestion! The new videos of the G-Wagon NCAP safety results are amazing. Nothing touches it. I saw them a few months ago and it had me thinking... it might be a real contender for a "gasp"... replacement if this doesn't work out. Fortunately, the Targa is working out brilliantly. Having the glass move aft to position things into the rear seats makes all the difference. Maybe try a Targa with the kids seats at the dealer before you go too far. If not, the G is a safe bet for the short list. Keep us posted. Hope you get to keep it in the Porsche family though.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

I thought about the same after we had a kid. I decided in the end to keep the Porsche. I started 18 yrs ago with my wife and me only having a Porsche Boxster as our only car (we were living in NYC) so it was just a fun weekend getaway car. Then, after baby came, I didn’t want to give up my fun car, so we got an Audi A4 Quattro. After our son got bigger, wifey wanted a bigger car than the Audi, so I got her a Benz SUV and still kept the Boxster and Audi (now as my daily commuter car, since we moved to the burbs and I drove to work).

Then, I got an itch for a 911, so I sold the Boxster for a 997S Cab. Through the years, whenever I did get the chance to drive the Porsche, it was always a special occasion that I really enjoyed. All the other cars are just transportation, I knew nothing else could give me the enjoyment the Porsche could. I know you have more than one kid, but if you’ve already got a family SUV, then why would you need another? I’d keep the 911 and just get a family sedan if you feel you need more space to truck your kids around when you don’t have access to your wife’s SUV. JMHO. Oh, and btw, through all those years, our son has absolutely loved riding in the Porsche, and still does! Those memories I’ve had with him in the Pcars are priceless!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

Volvo XC90
The following users liked this post:
OMTarga4S (12-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

keep the T and add an F-150 to the fleet ....

Last edited by shaginwagon; 08-07-2019 at 10:48 PM.
phefner (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I thought about the same after we had a kid. I decided in the end to keep the Porsche. I started 18 yrs ago with my wife and me only having a Porsche Boxster as our only car (we were living in NYC) so it was just a fun weekend getaway car. Then, after baby came, I didn’t want to give up my fun car, so we got an Audi A4 Quattro. After our son got bigger, wifey wanted a bigger car than the Audi, so I got her a Benz SUV and still kept the Boxster and Audi (now as my daily commuter car, since we moved to the burbs and I drove to work).

Then, I got an itch for a 911, so I sold the Boxster for a 997S Cab. Through the years, whenever I did get the chance to drive the Porsche, it was always a special occasion that I really enjoyed. All the other cars are just transportation, I knew nothing else could give me the enjoyment the Porsche could. I know you have more than one kid, but if you’ve already got a family SUV, then why would you need another? I’d keep the 911 and just get a family sedan if you feel you need more space to truck your kids around when you don’t have access to your wife’s SUV. JMHO. Oh, and btw, through all those years, our son has absolutely loved riding in the Porsche, and still does! Those memories I’ve had with him in the Pcars are priceless!
So very true. My kids love looking at the 911 and have been asking like crazy to ride in it. It's torture telling them no!

Originally Posted by Jack F
Volvo XC90
I have to admit the XC90 is an awesome car. Wasn't looking to spend that much but I'm tempted to check it out.
OMTarga4S (12-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:45 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by shaginwagon
keep the T and add an F-150 with to the fleet ....

This. I have a T and a four door truck. Keep it!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 PM
GeoSnow
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

This is easy because I just solved the same predicament and landed on the perfect ride.

BMW X6M

Last edited by GeoSnow; 08-08-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Honda (08-08-2019)

Quick Reply: What would you replace your 911 with?