Sponsored by:

What would you replace your 911 with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 AM
hamishpotter
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Sorry folks, just catching up now. Everyone's suggestions have been awesome - thank you to all. Someone asked about what price range I want to stay in. Sorry for not mentioning earlier. Ideally, I do not want to exceed $50k since this is really just a daily driver, kid hauler, etc and will likely get destroyed over time. Let's be honest. Kids are kids ... so likely $40k - $50k range max.

That said, I'm trying really hard to be practical about my approach. The ones in the running so far (thanks to everyone for the great suggestions):
1) Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X. Aggressive looks, fairly good safety, plenty of room, won't feel bad beating it up and washing it every 6 months.
2) VW Atlas or Tiguan. Hard to argue with their price point and their warranty (7 years, 100k miles).
3) Model 3. Not sure if I can get one but I would definitely be open to having one assuming I can get my hands on one for less than $50k.

Runner up if I'm not feeling responsible? Audi RS5 Sportback, but that will easily be $80k. What a ride it would be though ...
A friend picked up a VW Atlas since it seemed like such a good deal. He unloaded it 4 months later, said it was v low quality, that he discovered why they are so cheap.

It's a smaller car but I've heard the RS3 is fun. It has a nice inline 5.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

M5 or buy a used anything depreciated 4 door BMW to drive until the new M3 comes out. I have high hopes.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:45 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2017 Cayenne S as my daily which has worked for me. But I find myself "looking over the fence " at the new Cayenne Coupe. I'll keep the 2012 CS as a weekend fun car.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:40 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m surprised more people haven’t said CTS-V or ATS-V or the other caddy that runs 3.2 0-60. That are half the price and with a few mods would be beat the stock M5. Plus warranty & very comfortable
Old 08-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LizardBreath
I’m surprised more people haven’t said CTS-V or ATS-V or the other caddy that runs 3.2 0-60. That are half the price and with a few mods would be beat the stock M5. Plus warranty & very comfortable
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
LAG
LAG
LAG
LAG, JERK, CLUNK.

If you've driven a C7, and/or a CTS V. You'll know what I'm talking about.

GM cars always look good on paper and have "great results" on cherry picked tests but are actually under performing poorly built cars.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
SHIFT DENIED
LAG
LAG
LAG
LAG, JERK, CLUNK.

If you've driven a C7, and/or a CTS V. You'll know what I'm talking about.

GM cars always look good on paper and have "great results" on cherry picked tests but are actually under performing poorly built cars.
Ya my brother owns one. But I disagree. I understand opinions & that’s fine but with about 700 bucks it’s faster than an M5. Or sometimes stock

Old 08-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I had a manual C7 and it was not bad, but I did sell it and bought my Targa GTS. The worst thing about it was the buffeting with the top off and it did feel much bigger than it was since the seat would not go down that far, especially compared to what I have now.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:45 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Or a Hennessy CTS-V
Old 08-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I had a manual C7 and it was not bad, but I did sell it and bought my Targa GTS. The worst thing about it was the buffeting with the top off and it did feel much bigger than it was since the seat would not go down that far, especially compared to what I have now.
Manual is OK. Its the autotragic 8 speed that absolutely destroys the car. The paddles make this annoying plasticy clunk/click sound and you're always reminded SHIFT DENIED on the screen.

Shifting from 5th to 6th at wide open throttle caused the entire car to oscillate back and forth at over 160mph. Not good.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Manual is OK. Its the autotragic 8 speed that absolutely destroys the car. The paddles make this annoying plasticy clunk/click sound and you're always reminded SHIFT DENIED on the screen.

Shifting from 5th to 6th at wide open throttle caused the entire car to oscillate back and forth at over 160mph. Not good.
Agree that the manual CTS-V is nice. Very quick, good value and comfortable.

I expect to keep my GTS, but would add a Ferrari or McLaren at some point as other priorities are checked off the list.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

After almost 500 cars there is not much I have not experienced, right how I have as summer cars 2 718 Cayman's, an AMG GTS (modified) Ferrari California T (modified to 650hp), and my one of a kind 997S. My all year cars are Mercedes 550 AWDS Class (someone built it with every option Mercedes has), Maserati Gran Turismo MC, AMG GLE, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee (my dogs transport car),and for winter a 991 C4S (also modified) and a Range Rover Autobiography V8 Super Charged (modified with Nokian Snow tires, only get used in snow storms. Cars that I am looking for or put a deposit down, C8, Taycan, Ferrari 458, and another 4C (a project car I am pulling the engine and putting a 6 cyl in it). I help people buy cars all the time (two last week), and I always ask them the same questions. What do you want the car to do? What features do you have to have? How much do you want to spend? What can you not live without? What type of driver are you? Many people think because they own a sports car they are great drivers. Take it from someone who was asked to go pro many, many times when they were young, most people are not great drivers, but modern cars keep them safe. Spend a week driving with all the nannies turned off and see for yourself. What I am saying is that most people don't really need a sports car, because they rarely if ever use the car the way it was meant to be used. I still miss my old spitfires, and MGB's they were simple and fun, but I had the chance to drive a BMW X3M not long ago, and for the money it was not that bad a car.
The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default yea

But you will look like you are 80 or from NJ. Cadillacs are like mopeds.

Originally Posted by LizardBreath
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Not looking to buy a car at the moment, but thought it might be fun to see some answers to 1Carnut's questions.

Here goes:
What do you want the car to do?
- I want it to suit it's role with the most driving fun possible. Depending on the car's role there will be different choices.

What features do you have to have?
- ICE (did not warm up towards electricity as of yet), manual transmission (stick or DCT), adequate HP

How much do you want to spend?
<=200K

What can you not live without?
- Communicative steering and suspension

What type of driver are you?
- Stubborn I drive no nannies stick NA Miata The only one in my stable which is allowed to violate my "have to have" adequate HorsePower request. Actually the lack of the adequate HP makes it fun
Old 08-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

And to answer the OP's question - "A garage w/o a Porsche 911 is just a dark hole"- W. Rohrl
The following users liked this post:
phefner (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My dd is a raptor, weekend car is a targa gts, wife's cars are a mini s vert and leased nismo sentra. Can't say I would ever replace my 911 with anything other than a 911 as it is my 4th 911 (a c8 zo6 or gs in a couple years may be a possibility as my 911 comes out of warranty).
I digress. A cool relatively inexpensive dd that will probably be my next dd is a Toyota 4runner trd pro.

Quick Reply: What would you replace your 911 with?