Sponsored by:

manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:54 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P991GTS
I just completed a survey and this was part of it.

It's kind of straight forward in my mind which car is considered a manual and which car is an automatic ??♂
Old 05-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by slocumda@yahoo.com
I'm wondering how many 911 owners feel a need to race others as opposed to just driving fast? I've done a few auto crosses and enjoyed the hell out of them but have never felt a need to race anyone on a straight away or race track. I've owned three 911's all with manuals and love the process of shifting smoothly and quickly but have never felt the need to slam it into the next gear to beat some time or someone. What percentage of folks that have chosen PDK transmissions are more often than not just hankering to beat the driver next to, behind or in front of them? I will say this, PDK gives you a choice of being more involved in the process or not. A manual on the other hand is one way only, and you better like it or it's just a chore!
There are certainly those that use the 911 to race but that is silly to do on the street. In my case, if I chose to do that I would lose almost all the time. The number of AMG GTS, 488GTB, 458's, 911 Turbos, etc are legion in my area. I will play with these guys just to marvel at how fast they are but know full well the race was lost before I hit the gas peddle. Point is, as often been stated, if you want to win a 0-60 race, a 911 is not your vehicle. Plenty of tools to help you win at half the cost.

My wife cannot drive a stick, so a PDK was the only choice as she will need the driver's seat very occasionally.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Years ago, before the internet and the technology tidal wave, Road and Track, as well as Car and Driver, ridiculed everyone who thought an automatic was part of a sports car, and if you couldn't/wouldn't shift for yourself, you just didn't know any better.

Back then, Europeans also ridiculed those silly American V8 engines as lazy, archaic and overweight.

Now manuals are passé and V8s abound in sports cars.

Times change. I'm enjoying my ICE and MT for now, as electrification is going to kill the MT and eventually the ICE as well in the very near future.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Times change. I'm enjoying my ICE and MT for now, as electrification is going to kill the MT and eventually the ICE as well in the very near future.
I do agree with that... And I own an electric next to my MT991 !

Quick Reply: manual?