Sponsored by:

manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
i worry about that. It’s somewhat stressful.

But guessing it’s not creating any adverse effects. I’ve barely pushed the car at all. Still at only 750ish miles.
Nah, you'll be fine as you probably caught it, just as I have. Just take your time and you'll be amazed at how much better you, and the tranny, will get once you start putting on the miles. I have had 6 speed P-cars and I don't know why so many complain about this 7 speed since I think it is great, and much better than the 4 speed 930 I had in the past!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Nah, you'll be fine as you probably caught it, just as I have. Just take your time and you'll be amazed at how much better you, and the tranny, will get once you start putting on the miles. I have had 6 speed P-cars and I don't know why so many complain about this 7 speed since I think it is great, and much better than the 4 speed 930 I had in the past!
and that’s the fun of it, right?

ive already noticed improvements. I’m enjoying myself immensely. And still so much practice needed and much to learn.

Love love love this thing.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

while you can control your own shifts with PDK, it is certainly the case that 99.9% of the population views PDK and other DCT transmissions as automatic. If there's no stick and no third pedal, almost no one would consider it a manual transmission. don't shoot the messenger, just stating how it is.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

I've got close to 3k now and, my manual has gotten smoother and really fun to go up and down.

A PDK-equipped car will be faster, no argument, but I wouldn't have purchased my C4S, or any other Porsche, unless it had a manual.

Of course, this is a personal choice so no right or wrong. I drove a PDK C4S at the Experience at Atlanta and no question it afforded more attention to driving and allowed more accurate car placement. There's certainly an advantage there.

A true manual will always have three pedals, enjoy them while they still exist.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

If a PDK is a manual, why doesn’t Porsche say that the 992 “manual” will not be available in the fall?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Lots of small penises in this thread.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Lots of small penises in this thread.
Peeking in the restroom again?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:05 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

If pushing a button can make something happen, that sounds "automatic". And lacking skill requirements.

And besides ease and convenience, there is some risk involved. If there is a mechanical nanny watching out to prevent mistakes, then the task is "fool" proof.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

I drive a PDK and it is great for what it is- a manual has 3 peddles, period. Anything else and we are giving participation awards.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor's
If a PDK is a manual, why doesn’t Porsche say that the 992 “manual” will not be available in the fall?
The same with GM's announcement that a manual will not be offered on the C8.
I would have ordered a PDK on the last Porsche that I bought except for my good fortune of being given a Cayman with PDK as a loaner when I brought my car in for servicing. It's about a 45 minute drive from the dealership to my house. For the first 15 minutes of the drive, PDK blew me away and I was certain that I would want one on my next Porsche, but for the next 15 minutes PDK lost most of its luster. and for the last 15 minutes I just used automatic mode. So for me PDK is just boring, and I found it silly using paddles when the tranny can shift automatically.
Bottom line is that very few drivers prefer a MT; certainly fewer than 5% overall and no more than 20% of hose who buy sports cars. I wouldn't be surprised if a MT isn't offered at all in a few years, with the possible exception of the Miata where MTs are still very popular.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
So Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and the other F1 teams can save a ton of money by firing their drivers and renting monkeys. Got it."
Please don't take the monkey comment so literal, I'm sure you understood what I meant. PDKs are better in racing where every millisecond counts and a perfect lap can make or break the win. I'm talking about normal enthusiasts in this forum, normal people driving their cars to work, errands, etc...

[/QUOTE] me of the old joke: "A music lover is someone who uses equipment to listen to music. An audiophile is someone who uses music to listen to equipment."[/QUOTE]

I believe both are important and have their place... Just like PDK and manuals.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

So when I shift the old powerglide from 1st to 2nd I'm driving a manual?

Puh-leez.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default yep

On sports or sporty cars dealers often list automatic cars as manuals. I always send a link of the ad to autotrader or whoevers security group saying the vehicle is being misadvertised. Yet another reason to buy cars from individuals not dealers.

UOTE=andrewjn;15815333]Just venting! Why is there so much confusion when we describe a manual transmission! Its simple. A manual transmission has a third pedal. Anything else is an automatic! Why are there some people (including dealers and other professionals) who still think that a PDK with steering wheel shifters is a manual? This is all so frustrating to me! PDK or other steering wheel shifters are automatics.....[/QUOTE]
Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 6flat
People who learn to drive manuals with clutch rarely ever go back to transmissions that don’t require rowing through gears and coordinating a clutch.
i agree it’s a feeling of being at one with a car and being part of its mechanical nature.
you can’t discount the fact that driving a manual transmission takes some aspect of skill and many take pride in that.
Sorry to say but any grandmother who can barely walk can get iinto a PDK car and drive it just as effectively and quick as anyone else.
If this were true, automakers would still be making a selling a lot of manual transmission cars. However, most people that learned to drive a manual transmission have went the way of the automatic. Sure there are a few that still love to row their own, but not as many as you would imply by your statement.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 599 Likes on 352 Posts

this thread is so funny.

here's my attempt to add some more humor spoken in the idiotic language of our time: "a PDK is an automatic that identifies as a manual"

Quick Reply: manual?