Sponsored by:

Anyone Install PCCBs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:29 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Master cylinder is the same and the booster is up for debate: most parts places so no (e.g., Sunset) but a few others say yes. The seller of the kit in Germany said it is not needed and others he has sold kits to have not changed it. I think it may just affect the pedal range and if that is it I will be fine without changing it.
Interesting. Last summer I spent a weekend in a 991.2 GT3 Touring and the difference in brake feel between it and my base Carrera was amazing. The pedal travel was shorter, the effort was higher, and it felt so much more direct and controllable. I'd love to transplant that feel into my car and was perhaps hoping that a larger master cylinder would do the trick.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I am used to the feel of my pedal now so if changing the brake booster affects it I will be glad to leave it as is; however, I am far from an expert on the topic.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:46 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

PCCBs brake booster is different than Steel brakes brake booster. This is Clear.

PCCB brakes are working of completely different pressure that steels.

Brake booster change means around 1.000 USD cost considering part price plus labor.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Not getting PCCB is the one regret I have on my T. It doesn't NEED PCCB - but having had them before I love the feel and the look. Ughhhh. Time to start sourcing some parts.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nilaz
PCCBs brake booster is different than Steel brakes brake booster. This is Clear.

PCCB brakes are working of completely different pressure that steels.

Brake booster change means around 1.000 USD cost considering part price plus labor.
I am still confused about this and a new installer I am talking to swears that a different master cylinder and brake booster is needed and the other installer says that neither needs to be replaced. The latter said that if I keep the brake booster the bite point and friction might be different thus the pedal feel may differ but the brake booster will still work and the fluid will not boil if not tracked, and even then it should not. Odds are the boosters are probably very close in design and Porsche always over engineers things so I am thinking it it worth changing the booster and seeing how it works first.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I am still confused about this and a new installer I am talking to swears that a different master cylinder and brake booster is needed and the other installer says that neither needs to be replaced. The latter said that if I keep the brake booster the bite point and friction might be different thus the pedal feel may differ but the brake booster will still work and the fluid will not boil if not tracked, and even then it should not. Odds are the boosters are probably very close in design and Porsche always over engineers things so I am thinking it it worth changing the booster and seeing how it works first.
Brake booster is completely different.
You can drive your GTS with your OEM wheels and tires but also with 19 wheels and narrower tyres.

Decision is yours but you are paying 15K+ to jump to PCCB does it worth to take the risk for 1K?

At the end of the Day is your money and your car. Make sure you install PCCBs. They are amazing.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

The first car I drove with carbon ceramic brakes was a Lamborghini Gallardo about 15 years ago. Its brake feel was terrible--very grabby and hard to modulate. At highway speeds, just barely touching the brakes caused the car to decelerate suddenly. It was impossible to drive smoothly in everyday traffic. Modern PCCBs are much better in this regard and I suspect that a dedicated calibration of the brake booster is one of the reasons.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:40 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob Z let me put my 2 cents in here as well. As you know I have been considering this change as well so I have been looking at parts numbers and what is needed for the PCCB install. Looking at latest Porsche parts catalog, the master cylinder part does not need to change for PCCBs. The current part number is 991 355 130 27. For the brake booster there is a different part number used for the 991.2 PCCBs (991 355 125 29) but the current brake booster used on our cars is the same brake booster (991 355 125 28) that was used on all the 991.1s regardless of whether they had PCCBs or not. So I think you are fine moving forward without changing the brake booster. I'm sure the updated booster has some improvement but it was not anything that required it to be used on 991.1 cars that have PCCBs so I don't think it was that critical.

Last edited by krburrell; 03-21-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Great investigative work kr, thanks and that is enough me for me to reinforce my thoughts that my current booster will be fine. If it were any other part I would not question it and I would replace it; however, more have told me that the booster does not need to be changed than otherwise. I have a lot of money invested in this car and $1k is nothing relative to what I have spent; however, I hate to waste money.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:35 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My uneducated opinion after a 14 year run of refinishing and rebuilding brake systems, and doing several big brake kit installs and other brake swaps on various cars. Do the swap without the booster change. If you don't like the feel or performance after installing, then consider it.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

also, when you pull the reds off, can you take some side by side pics so we can see differences in the calipers, aside from color?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJG911
also, when you pull the reds off, can you take some side by side pics so we can see differences in the calipers, aside from color?
Yes, I will be sure to take lots of pictures as the work progresses and update this thread. It appears that my original installer is going to squeeze me inbetween the other jobs, as long as the PCCB kit gets here soon!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

great news Bob!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

The brakes arrived and as soon as my installer gets the extra parts that are required he will do the swap, and I will be sure to update this thread with some pics and the final parts list for future reference.

I wonder if adding some mild spacers is possible when the PCCBs are installed? 7mm? Any recommendations for my 5 lug stock 20" Carrera S wheels?
Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

You get these on Bob?

Quick Reply: Anyone Install PCCBs?