Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Nick Murray Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Too bad for Nick and his Gorilla. I've really enjoyed Nick's youtube videos. Maybe he'll comment and give us a clue as to what is next, I believe he is a rennlister, no?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Too bad for Nick and his Gorilla. I've really enjoyed Nick's youtube videos. Maybe he'll comment and give us a clue as to what is next, I believe he is a rennlister, no?
He is on RL. Maybe he can still get an allocation for a yellow GTS with every Alcantara option box ticked.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I watched the videos and its really unusual... He got the car back after months and it throw same codes. How is that possible? I thought dealer fixed it and tested before releasing the car? Why does it take so much time for the dealer to figure out what's going on?

My understanding is he does abuse the car and it driven by others as the 'camera car ' or exchange for driving someone else's car etc.

I have a 2017 C4S too and after 25k miles, it has had a number of things I'd consider not exactly 'top notch reliability.' Its been all been fixed and hasn't reoccurred though.
- Leaky water pump (replaced before I got CPO car)
- Squeaky strut mount (incorrectly installed from factory)
- Squeaky brake pedal (turned out to be due to brake booster)
- Hard to track down intermittent creaking sound during summer (drivers seat latch trim)

Pending items are...
- Whine coming from front going up grade at 77-85 MPH (maybe normal due to AWD system, but its getting a bit louder as time goes on...)
- Boost only going to 13-14 (boosted to 16 during summer...might be normal due to dense winter air)
- Front inside wheel barrels scarred and PCCB calipers chipped due to low (less than 1/4 inch) clearance and rocks (probably just end up living with this as its a design flaw and will happen again)

I wouldn't call mine a lemon or anything nearly as bad Nick Murray is experiencing. Nonetheless seems like people who drives these cars are finding they aren't exactly bulletproof.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

He needs a 992, would love to see that
Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
My understanding is he does abuse the car
What is your evidence?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:01 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
What is your evidence?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

"it gets a lot of use and a lot of love" Is that it?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

If you’re referring to Nick’s winter driving escapades, Porsche Camp 4 is sanctioned Porsche training, which looks to me to be in excess of anything Nick does with his car.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Yep. Nick is a huge Porsche fan and he is taking it pretty well. The question is -will he get another Porsche?
I think the question is whether PCNA will actually sell him another Porsche!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
jord63
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"My understanding is he does abuse the car and it driven by others as the 'camera car ' or exchange for driving someone else's car etc."
While anything is possible, I've watched all his videos and haven't seen any behavior I would characterize as abuse or anything I wouldn't expect a $140K 911, $60k corvette or a $15k Toyota to withstand. All the "drag races" are from a rolling start, no neutral drops, hard launches and all of the other drivers who he trades cars with appear to treat it the same. Again, perhaps you have better info - but he seems to treat the cars like a true enthusiast and if the 911 can't withstand the above, I think most guys on here wouldn't want one. Plus it doesn't appear that any of his issues are remotely related to mechanical abuse. If you're referring his comment about "abuse"I think those are in jest related to him using it as a normal car (carrying a couch etc)

Not fair to Nick to pass this info around - especially as we know Porsche reads the forums.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

He doesn't even come near abusing his car. Yes the 911 can withstand everything he does. No questions asked.

It's the hardwiring that maybe the issue.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jord63
While anything is possible, I've watched all his videos and haven't seen any behavior I would characterize as abuse or anything I wouldn't expect a $140K 911, $60k corvette or a $15k Toyota to withstand. All the "drag races" are from a rolling start, no neutral drops, hard launches and all of the other drivers who he trades cars with appear to treat it the same. Again, perhaps you have better info - but he seems to treat the cars like a true enthusiast and if the 911 can't withstand the above, I think most guys on here wouldn't want one. Plus it doesn't appear that any of his issues are remotely related to mechanical abuse. If you're referring his comment about "abuse"I think those are in jest related to him using it as a normal car (carrying a couch etc)

Not fair to Nick to pass this info around - especially as we know Porsche reads the forums.
Agree... I didn't see anything that I would characterize as abuse.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:30 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
He doesn't even come near abusing his car. Yes the 911 can withstand everything he does. No questions asked.

It's the hardwiring that maybe the issue.

I agree that he is not abusing his car, he's using it.

But In the age of computerized cars I am very reluctant to hardwire anything, too many things can go wrong with items that were not designed to be compatible with a car's wiring. And all those controllers and sensors are very sensitive to any electrical surges That's probably why problems start happening months down the line... Leave it stock, save yourself problems in the long run...

anyway I love his channel, very nice dude
Old 02-24-2019, 08:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I can't believe some people are still insisting on the aftermarket stuff with zero evidence! Any smart diagnostician/technician will first unplug/remove any aftermarket device(s) before carrying on with the diagnostic,especially when dealing with electric gremlins! If they couldn't figure that out after having the car for a month,then Nick is screwed... But let me tell you how that one month/2 months or whatever time they had Nick's car in the shop goes : don't think they are working on his car all that time. The car just sits there. With the disaster the " flat rate system " is for most technicians,they won't jump to work on this car. They like oil changes,air filters,tire rotations,brake flushes etc. Chasing electrical gremlins and getting paid " warranty time " is a loser's game from the technician's perspective. You need to find a dealership where there's a smart technician that wants to prove himself he can fix what others can't...who takes pride in his work and loves what he does! Maybe stay after hours or over the weekend just to figure this out! Very rare breed! Instead,the majority like to swap parts and cross their fingers : enough parts replaced and hopefully they'll eventually replace the right one...
The following users liked this post:
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Do people believe, in this digitized world, that adding a dash cam, radar detector, laser jammers, etc can cause electrical issues that cannot be detected or fixed? We are talking cars with more computing power than the spaceships that got men to the moon and back, and Porsche cannot develop electronics that cannot withstand the addition of electrical add ons? Sounds silly to me.

Quick Reply: Another Nick Murray Lemon?