Sponsored by:

Another Nick Murray Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Every good mechanic I have ever had has said the vast majority of the electrical issues they see with Porsche come from aftermarket stereo installs and other wiring jobs.

With that said, I had a 100% stock 2007 GTI daily driver that had a Check Engine light @ 10,000~ miles. They replaced something like $3000 in mechanical parts before eventually tracing the fault to a chafed wire in the electrical system. So it can happen to perfectly stock cars, too—but I'd be curious to know more about the "hard-wired" additions, and wonder if today's electrical systems are more sensitive to modifications elsewhere in system?
I wrote him bringing up the point about the additional accessory installs. He replied and said the car has been fine for the last 2 years; however, all it takes is for a ground to corrode and wonky things to start happening. I would hope that they isolated the jammer, radar detector, and cams before they started trouble shooting.

Last edited by Thor's; 02-24-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Exactly. A non-trivial fraction of restoration/repair work I do on 928s is correcting stereo/'lectric-gizmo installs. Sometimes it gets very expensive. The things I have seen - even by the big-dollar - stereo/gizmo installers do...

The next question that comes to my mind in this context is: was it the same installer on both of Nick's 991s.

Two lemons in a row are not impossible. Just rather improbable.

My *understanding* is that the wiring for bus-based systems are very sensitive to the slightest mechanical damage. In particular, I was told stories about stereo installers using piercing probes to 'find the right wires' thus resulting in non-operational buses where they'd pierced fiber lines. This might all be fake news though.
^Worf928 is SPOT-ON.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:42 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Note to self:

Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2. Never do ANY electrical upgrades in 991.2…

(Said while cringing in recalling many sins while installing audio equipment in cars of old.)
Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
^Worf928 is SPOT-ON.
So, not fake news. Good to know.

Originally Posted by Thor's
I wrote him bringing up the point about the additional accessory installs. He replied and said the car has been fine for the last 2 years; however, all it takse is for a ground to corrode corrode and wonky things to start happening. I would hope that they isolated the jammer, radar detector, and cams before they started trouble shooting.
The issues I see with accessory installs are always, always, issues that crop up after a few years. The most-common issue I find and correct is poor routing or installation of accessory wires and mis-routing of factory harnesses. In short, stuff will work for a couple of years or a decade then begin failing intermittently or totally due to the installation not the accessory components. I could go on for pages with specific examples.
The following users liked this post:
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 218 Posts

Nick is a smart IT guy. Seems to me that he’s hacking into the cars and creating havoc after the new car bug wears off. Nice work Nick, enjoy the pleasure of ordering new Porsche 911’s, drive the cars for a couple of years and then hack into the car’s computer, spoof significant problems and then lobby Porsche NA to buy the car back and do it all over again! Good luck going for the trifecta Nick!

just kidding. He’s a good guy and his luck with the Porsche brand just stinks. Wishing him best of luck!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Pete, I see you had to stay after school too.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't think the car is a lemon.

At worst, perhaps a Kiwi.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Pete, I see you had to stay after school too.
Indeed...and pity was, copy + paste wasn't available for the chalkboards!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I’d like to see him get a car without doing any electrical mods to it (which seems the only constant between his .2 and .1) and then we can get some light as to what happened.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Of course, here on RL we have already solved what must be the problem. I can hear my service writer now...

"Ah, we're all booked up with Macan and Cayenne service right now, but there's no need to send your 911 in—just take it to Rennlist for an expert diagnosis."

Who needs a PIWIS, anyway?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I bet that's a CAN bus communication issue. It's either a temporary short to ground or power that is messing up the CAN bus signal and disrupts communication between modules. Or it can be an actual module pulling the CAN bus down and messing up the signal. That's why multiple stuff go haywire for no reason.
Can't remember...does his car have a sunroof or panorama roof? If yes,just follow the water to the flooded module.
But of course the flat rate " technicians " will replace parts like they've learned when they took their ASEs...Lol. I think they've only heard of an oscilloscope during tech school but " warranty pay " doesn't actually pay to use it...
If Bill is their master tech Nick's screwed! LMAO!
Replaced the clutch master cylinder! LMAO! Amateurs...
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Ive had all manner of cars and only 1 lemon. a 2010 Cadillac CTSV 6-speed.

Broken welds around the passenger compartment. Man that car could smoke the tires at 70 mph.
I have had 2 lemons among 6 new cars. The first was a 1990 VW Vanagon Syncro. A cool vehicle but with a gremlin in the throttle body that would occasionally and randomly cause misfires, with some episodes leading to stalls. After many repair attempts at various dealers, VW finally issued a harness update that fixed it. We wold have returned the Vanagon, but we loved it beyond good sense.

We later bought a 1996 Chevy Suburban that had unpredictable and uncurable pulling to either side with moderate braking. After a year of attempted unsuccessful repairs, Chevy bought it back from us.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
I personally refuse to own a car that does not have a spare tire, which is why my 1999 911 is the perfect car for me. I hope he gets it all sorted out.
Easy for a 991.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I don't think the car is a lemon.

At worst, perhaps a Kiwi.

Mmmm. I wanted you to know that your quote didn’t go unnoticed. Quite clever on a couple of levels. I snigga and salute you

BTW - I wasn't allowed to spell ‘snigga’ correctly because it was blanked out like a profane word. Whoever wrote the code for this website needs to remove their tongue from the window, and open a dictionary.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Guys, my comments are not to start **** or be fippant, and I have no idea if any of Nick's mods caused his bus issue or the litany of other issues he has disclosed. All I can offer is I've done a lifetime of work designing systems and embedded processors (those CPUs that do very specific things to make the experience special). For those that don't know, thats very very different from IT. Yes, I have a BSEE and I put it to good use for a long time.

Given my backgound, you might think I'd love tearing into the power bus on my 911 to attach all sorts of gadgets; commercial ones plus prototypes I've conjured up. But truth be told, the only place I will ever get power from is the 12V CLA ports, and only via an industry supplied CLA adapter. And then route any cables within the trim work. I think a mirror tap into a lighting source is an interesting idea, but it still would keep me up at night.

Sorry, but I've got too much experience seeing what happens when you tap into shared power busses. I'm sure many of you have gotten away with it and will continue to do so.

Cheers.

i
The following users liked this post:
apache2 (06-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Another Nick Murray Lemon?