Sponsored by:

Another Nick Murray Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Can someone who’s watched all of NM’s 991.2 videos give me/us the TL;DR on any mods he’s done to it? I recall that his 991.1 had a bunch.

Has he done any to this one?
I don't think so. The only thing "electrical" may have been hardwiring the radar detector. I feel bad for Nick.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:45 PM
VegasJeff
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've followed Nick on YT as well and feel bad his car has had so many issues.

I had a 2005 truck purchased back by Chevrolet and currently have a BMW that has spent almost a month in the shop for electrical issues. We've only had the BMW 4 months.

It's a hassle for anyone, especially car enthusiasts who typically spend considerable time picking out the exact car they want.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

NM is a true 911 enthusiast, he taken all these issue with a smile and didn’t fade from Porsche. He driven the car as intended use and daily driver in snow and sunny weather. I give the guy a lot of credit for his enjoyment in all of his 911. I think he will go back to another 911 regardless of the previous 2 lemon cars. Kinda interesting guy who give honest opinions on his own experience.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by 1809
The only mods I can think of off the top of my head are hard-wired radar detector and dash cam. I think he also had laser jammers installed.
^ Every good mechanic I have ever had has said the vast majority of the electrical issues they see with Porsche come from aftermarket stereo installs and other wiring jobs.

With that said, I had a 100% stock 2007 GTI daily driver that had a Check Engine light @ 10,000~ miles. They replaced something like $3000 in mechanical parts before eventually tracing the fault to a chafed wire in the electrical system. So it can happen to perfectly stock cars, too—but I'd be curious to know more about the "hard-wired" additions, and wonder if today's electrical systems are more sensitive to modifications elsewhere in system?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:29 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I know how Nick feels, had a Panamera that was in 2 dealerships for 2 months straight for 9 separate issues. Sold that car after got the car back after 8th week in a dealership. I honestly was not going to get another Pcar after that terrible experience with the Panny but found my 991.1S manual and have been happy since. It sucks knowing your paying all that money and not driving the car all that time and stuck on a loaner.
The following users liked this post:
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

I like watching his YouTube channel and this just stinks. I'd be so upset...don't know how he has kept his cool about all of this.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
I know how Nick feels, had a Panamera that was in 2 dealerships for 2 months straight for 9 separate issues. Sold that car after got the car back after 8th week in a dealership. I honestly was not going to get another Pcar after that terrible experience with the Panny but found my 991.1S manual and have been happy since. It sucks knowing your paying all that money and not driving the car all that time and stuck on a loaner.
Even his loaner, Macan, had problems. Fast forward to 2:20

apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 04:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I like watching his YouTube channel and this just stinks. I'd be so upset...don't know how he has kept his cool about all of this.
Gotta say, the guy has a pretty great sense of humor. I've had more than a smile or two along his road, sometimes with him and sometimes at him—but always with a certain appreciation for his offbeat way of dealing with things.

And he's done some of the better content I've seen on things like PSE vs no PSE. Definitive? No. Fun? Yes. And coverage done better on video than in print? Yes again. And, sometimes, coverage that no one else has done, or done as well.

Will be interesting to see if he goes for a third 911. You know what they say about third time...
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

this is not scientific, but the more times you take a car to the shop to get some stupid thing repaired, like say a rattle or a blown light in the interior, the higher the probability you will be coming back for something else.

i've had it with nick and his whining
Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Every good mechanic I have ever had has said the vast majority of the electrical issues they see with Porsche come from aftermarket stereo installs and other wiring jobs.
Exactly. A non-trivial fraction of restoration/repair work I do on 928s is correcting stereo/'lectric-gizmo installs. Sometimes it gets very expensive. The things I have seen - even by the big-dollar - stereo/gizmo installers do...

The next question that comes to my mind in this context is: was it the same installer on both of Nick's 991s.

Two lemons in a row are not impossible. Just rather improbable.

—but I'd be curious to know more about the "hard-wired" additions, and wonder if today's electrical systems are more sensitive to modifications elsewhere in system?
My *understanding* is that the wiring for bus-based systems are very sensitive to the slightest mechanical damage. In particular, I was told stories about stereo installers using piercing probes to 'find the right wires' thus resulting in non-operational buses where they'd pierced fiber lines. This might all be fake news though.
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I really enjoy NM's videos. Considering his experiences, I don't think he comes across as whining at all, in fact I think he is incredibly patient and continues to keep his sense of humor about the issue, rather than bashing the brand.

His videos also offer a lot of great information for aspiring 911 owners and were super useful to me - great comparison of what headlights to get, what exhaust, videos of different color cars, and how the base engine feels vs the "S".

I hope Porsche takes good care of him, as he is a brand ambassador and clearly loves these cars.
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 04:56 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Man in the shop for 2 months? That's presumed to be a lemon pursuant to California law if its within the first 18 months 18,000 miles (sounds like he is outside that window).

I like his videos, hopefully, he gets a resolution to his issue that he is happy with.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I think that he comes across as a pretty likable guy, without an agenda. His reviews are not scientific (and don't claim to be), but he tackles topics that an average Porsche buyer may be interested in. (PSE, seat choices, color choices, PDK vs MT etc). He's also willing to admit to option choices that he regrets.
Unfortunate that he got stung twice. I stumbled across his most recent video last night, and was surprised to see that his second 991 failed.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
this is not scientific, but the more times you take a car to the shop to get some stupid thing repaired, like say a rattle or a blown light in the interior, the higher the probability you will be coming back for something else.

i've had it with nick and his whining
Whining? His car has been in the shop for 2 months with multiple electrical issues. If anything, I think he's done way less whining than I would have!
apache2 (06-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

NM is awesome and totally like his YT channel. Too many Fake A$$ people out there, but he's Original.

He'll be fine. Dude makes Plenty of money, so I'm sure he's not worried. He'll be back in a 911.

Quick Reply: Another Nick Murray Lemon?