Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 06:38 PM
sdavies88
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Is this a new 2023 controller that you have? Did you drive the car in different conditions such as bump roads at normal speed, smooth twisty roads at spirited pace, or hard braking? If not, might have to drive the car more with DSC controller to realize the difference. I notice the difference right away when I do installs for local customer and we do before/after drives. We are very fortunate to have roads nearby that have combinations of bumps, elevations changes, and fun twisty sections that immediately highlights the awesome dynamic characteristics with DSC controller.
It is a new 2023. I have driven in different conditions and experimented with both comfort and sport. With my 997 turbo, I could tell a significant difference within a couple hundred meters but not with This DSC and my current 991.2. There seems to be little difference between the two settings. Hmmmmm
Old 06-06-2023, 08:57 PM
lazyoldawg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First track weekend with new controller

Took my 991.2 Carrera T with V3 controller to Road Atlanta for DE this past weekend and set it on Sport Plus. Difference was very noticeable. Lap times down nearly 3 sec. over previous visit in April, with no other changes except more track-biased brake pads. Maybe my driver skilz went up a little, but I doubt it. So for me, definitely worth the $.
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (06-06-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 09:29 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by sdavies88
There seems to be little difference between the two settings. Hmmmmm
That is true for the minimum value between the two modes relative to the OEM controller.
Think of it this way using the percentage example below-
OEM controller Normal Chassis mode is 20% stiffness.
OEM controller Sport Chassis mode is 80% stiffness.
DSC controller Normal Chassis mode is a dynamic operating range of 3% to 100%. It starts at 3% when there's no g-force or driver input. It stiffens in real time to load.
DSC controller Sport Chassis mode is a dynamic operating range of 25% to 100%. It starts 25% when there's no g-force or driver input. It stiffens in real time to load. The sensitivity to load changes is increased in DSC mode.
The minimum % for the two modes of the DSC controller is a much smaller delta than OEM.
Hope this helps in how the DSC controller functions.
Have you driven your car spiritedly since the install?
Does your car have OEM PASM shocks and springs?

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 06-07-2023 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
cbredesen (02-20-2024), smell911 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:25 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 292 Posts

A lot of us are used to static suspension changes so it may feel like "no difference" at first with Sport mode, but the real difference is perceived once the spirited drive begins. What a great product!
The following 3 users liked this post by RP4S911:
GermanCarFan1 (10-01-2023), smell911 (06-08-2023), Tom@TPC Racing (06-07-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 10:53 PM
smell911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
A lot of us are used to static suspension changes so it may feel like "no difference" at first with Sport mode, but the real difference is perceived once the spirited drive begins. What a great product!
Timely topic as I just noted similar.
Another satisfied customer here.
Tom@TPC Racing (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 01:02 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Is the OEM controller on a 997 Turbo more remedial than a 991.2? That may account for the difference being smaller in normal mode. I know the OEM 997.1 is way different than a 997.2, but to 991.2?

I'm happy with mine My biggest deal is relaxing the suspension a little bit on our nightmare Cali potholes. I have them in my 997.2 and 991.1.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:11 PM
sdavies88
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is true for the minimum value between the two modes relative to the OEM controller.
DSC controller Normal Chassis mode is a dynamic operating range of 3% to 100%. It starts at 3% when there's no g-force or driver input. It stiffens in real time to load.
DSC controller Sport Chassis mode is a dynamic operating range of 25% to 100%. It starts 25% when there's no g-force or driver input. It stiffens in real time to load. The sensitivity to load changes is increased in DSC mode.
The minimum % for the two modes of the DSC controller is a much smaller delta than OEM.
Great explanation. Thx

Not spirited enough so far since install. Will do.
OEM suspension.
Tom@TPC Racing (06-10-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 11:57 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Installed my DSC v3 last night in my 991.2 Turbo S, took it out for a drive tonight. It feels much better and my vibration measurements (before and after) support what my rear end was telling me. I was incredibly impressed with this in my previous C2S, so I didn't hesitate to get one for this girl. Can't wait to feel the difference when pushed hard.
Tom@TPC Racing (06-10-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 02:15 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 252 Posts

I was able to do a quick A-B comparison this weekend between stock box and the latest DSC software on our 2019 Carrera T test mule. The plan was to run one session at Homestead on the stock box and then swap to the DSC for the next session. Unfortunately a black flag on lap 3 of the first session caused the brakes to heat soak and fail, so the test wasn't as nearly as complete as I had hoped. But I did get some very positive first impressions:

* Under hard braking the stock set-up dives pretty heavily onto the nose. Dramatic difference with DSC. Not eliminated completely, but small enough that I wasn't thinking about it.
* On higher g, long sweeping corners you can feel the outside corners firming up, enabling you to lean on the car more in the corner. The car also seemed to regain its balance more quickly and allow for faster throttle application.
* On the drive home, now in Normal mode, the ride is much softer and much more comfortable. But on highway off ramps you could still play without feeling like you were in a family sedan.

Really impressive. One of the best bang for the buck upgrades out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by jakermc:
Cur (06-13-2023), Tom@TPC Racing (06-12-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 06:21 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default DSC install video for 991 coupe (2023 video)

Here's a freshly uploaded youtube video for installing DSC controller in a 991 coupe. Applicable for all 991.1/991.2 coupe models. At 0:53 in the video shows the proper method for unplugging the large OEM Slide-lock connector(it can very tight). The previous 991 install video I did was in 2016...time files. I feel like there should be a fresher one.

The following 5 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
911hammer (06-14-2023), Cur (06-15-2023), Gygeneral (06-14-2023), jesm (06-16-2023), SConn (06-16-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 05:37 AM
xgrimeyx
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

can anyone describe the experience with the v3 of how much more stiffer it gets in the higher speed ranges? specifically 150+ mph and how it feels hitting little bumps in those 150-190mph on the hwy type soles runs
Old 02-18-2024, 03:26 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 464 Posts

DSC V3 New member of the club. I've been so excited about getting this that I spent nearly half the day reading only the first 25 pages of this thread and now I'm too tired to go on and finish this thread. Unfortunately the weather is bad today and I haven't really had a chance to put this thing to the test beyond just a 20 minute spirited drive around town today. In my short drive this morning, I will borrow a few phrases from this thread and attest that the suspension feels "smarter", more planted, less bouncy, more precise on turns, etc. Where I immediately noticed a difference was on familiar bumps as well as under hard acceleration. Didn't really get to push the car to hard because the roads were damp and now it's been a full on downpour outside all day. I bought new from TPC and for the cost, I would say this mod is well worth it (relative to the cost of other performance related mods). Reading what people like @4 Point 0 @IRunalot and others have posted about their experience with DSC in combination with other suspension mods have me craving to go deeper down the rabbit hole. Thank you everyone, particularly @Tom@TPC Racing for answering so many people's questions here. I think you could condense every one of Tom's posts into a fabulous searchable Q&A / FAQ document for the DSC. (I'm sure this probably already exists and I just don't know about it.).

On a side note, when I went to connect my DSC to my laptop after installation to zero the ride height, I encountered an error... something along the lines of "port could not be found / make sure it is connected". This had me a bit annoyed for a while until I realized that the USB cable I bought off Amazon was the culprit. Would be nice if DSC supplied a 10 foot cable instead of 6 foot. 6' might be long "enough" if you have the DSC hanging out of it's place and you're ok with limited placement of the laptop. But an extra few feet of cable would be nice to have.

I have a few questions that I'm sure have been answered in this thread but I simply don't have the time to dig out the answers, so please forgive me for asking something that's been repeatedly answered.

1) Is it possible that the DSC alters in any way the rev-matching characteristics while in the Sport or Sport Plus (Drivetrain) modes in vehicles equipped with manual transmission? (mine is a 991.2 C2S) The reason I ask is I'm not sure if I was imagining things on my drive this morning but I feel like I may have detected unusual behavior with the rev-matching but honestly it might have been totally normal. I was being hyper aware of how the vehicle 'behaved' this morning as I tried to take in the new feel with the DSC.

2) I'm curious if I should expect to receive any error codes and if so, what would they be? While I have not run a scan with my cheapo ICarSoft POR V2.0 diagnostic tool (code reader), I probably will at some point in the normal course of doing routine maintenance on my car. What would be normal and what wouldn't be? I just don't want to have any surprise / panic moments thinking something is wrong when it actually isn't.

3) Where can I find other files that people are speaking so highly about such as the GT3 Touring file? I know my DSC V3 came with the RS file because I know that's the latest one and according to the sharpie pen markings on my DSC, it seems my DSC was made just a few weeks ago. Where exactly can I look to tell that this is the file I have installed. I only used the tuning software after installing the DSC to zero the ride height (which I don't believe I actually needed to do with my version after reading this thread) so I didn't really explore the tuning software to figure out where the calibration file was located.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:50 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
when I went to connect my DSC to my laptop after installation to zero the ride height, I encountered an error... something along the lines of "port could not be found / make sure it is connected". This had me a bit annoyed for a while until I realized that the USB cable I bought off Amazon was the culprit. Would be nice if DSC supplied a 10 foot cable instead of 6 foot. 6' might be long "enough" if you have the DSC hanging out of it's place and you're ok with limited placement of the laptop. But an extra few feet of cable would be nice to have.
Glad you got it solved by replacing the USB cable. The USB cable needs to be 2.0 or 3.0 version. Yeah, some of cheap cables I have gotten online don't work.

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
1) Is it possible that the DSC alters in any way the rev-matching characteristics while in the Sport or Sport Plus (Drivetrain) modes in vehicles equipped with manual transmission? (mine is a 991.2 C2S) The reason I ask is I'm not sure if I was imagining things on my drive this morning but I feel like I may have detected unusual behavior with the rev-matching but honestly it might have been totally normal. I was being hyper aware of how the vehicle 'behaved' this morning as I tried to take in the new feel with the DSC.

2) I'm curious if I should expect to receive any error codes and if so, what would they be? While I have not run a scan with my cheapo ICarSoft POR V2.0 diagnostic tool (code reader), I probably will at some point in the normal course of doing routine maintenance on my car. What would be normal and what wouldn't be? I just don't want to have any surprise / panic moments thinking something is wrong when it actually isn't.

3) Where can I find other files that people are speaking so highly about such as the GT3 Touring file? I know my DSC V3 came with the RS file because I know that's the latest one and according to the sharpie pen markings on my DSC, it seems my DSC was made just a few weeks ago. Where exactly can I look to tell that this is the file I have installed. I only used the tuning software after installing the DSC to zero the ride height (which I don't believe I actually needed to do with my version after reading this thread) so I didn't really explore the tuning software to figure out where the calibration file was located.
Rev matching is not controlled by the suspension controller. Its controlled by the ECU.

Any diagnostic scan tool that is designed to communicate with the OEM controller is not going to communicate with the DSC controller. DSC has a different programming languages in order have its awesome functions. As such, DSC has its own communication software. Attempting to comminute with DSC controller using a scan tool designed for OEM controller will show "device offline" or "no comm" or "comm error" or something along those lines because the device that the scan tool is trying to read isn't there. It would be same scenario as attempting to communicate with the PCM with an aftermarket radio installed.

We used to name the files "Tour" and "RS" (which is not to be confused with the names of the Porsche car models, we used to name the files to sound catchy for marketing to relevant keywords at the time). We stopped doing that in 2022. The Tour file was for older controllers made up through year 2020, which isn't compatible with newer controllers made 2021-newer. Tour file was our best effort for that time period. Which we are still honored and proud of for the achievement. Your new 2024 DSC controller is the newest hardware and has our most highly developed file in it. It is an evolution of the 2021-2022 RS file which contains the best elements from the previous 2018-2020 Tour file. You already have the best of our engineering cherry picked to combine with our newest hardware. I am afraid some of the info from this long thread started from 2018 is outdated based on current circumstance. Electronics rarely stay the same for 5+ years. And we keep pushing and evolving to do better.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 02-19-2024 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
Need4S (02-19-2024), WAM (02-19-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:43 AM
sbrooks64
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Ordered mine yesterday. I hope that it arrived before the weekend.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:53 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

This is a really great explanation - it should be on the website if it isn't.

I actually like a bit more default stiffness so is it easy to update the softer "un-loaded" setting split from 3/25 to something like 10/40? Given that OEM is 20/80, it would still make the car more livable in all situations but I find myself wanting it stiffer by default (my car is not a daily and we have good roads generally). On the track it's brilliant.

I only spent a short amount of time with the software on a borrowed Windows computer so I don't have it in front of me.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module