Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 01:01 PM
wquiles
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Just got and installed the V3 controller in my 991.2 2017 base Carrera coupe. Not even 24H from install, but in normal mode, I can already enjoy the slightly softer feel in our bad roads here in Dallas, but still feels in control & smooth at highway speeds!. Also, now enabling firm more is no longer "hard" or jarring like the OEM module - I could see how some say you "could" leave it on firm mode all of the time.

Of course I will backup the factory settings/calibration before trying anything else, but am I reading this right that this one is the only one from the DSC website that I can try in my car/module since I have the OEM suspension, right?

The following users liked this post:
jsmjeremy (11-03-2023)
Old 09-05-2022, 05:03 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not mean to hijack the thread, but this is a message for Tom@TPC : I am desperatly trying get in touch with TPC for several weeks : Contact form on the website and sales e-mail address do not seem to route my messages to TPC.

I am trying to order a unit for a 991.2, could you please get back to me ?

thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2022, 04:14 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A big thumbs up for Tom : After my post here, in less than 24 hours, my questions were answered and a unit ordered. One of my best buying experience, thank you Tom !
Old 09-08-2022, 09:48 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Wquiles,
Did you get a new unit from TPC, newest V3?
If so, the old files for the earlier V3 will not work on the "New" V3.
If you bought a second hand early V3 then the old files they had could be used.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:03 AM
wquiles
Instructor

Originally Posted by dannyss
Wquiles,
Did you get a new unit from TPC, newest V3?
If so, the old files for the earlier V3 will not work on the "New" V3.
If you bought a second hand early V3 then the old files they had could be used.
I got a brand new unit from TPC, new V3. So no files to try then?

Last edited by wquiles; 09-08-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:18 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by cid042
A big thumbs up for Tom : After my post here, in less than 24 hours, my questions were answered and a unit ordered. One of my best buying experience, thank you Tom !
Thank you very much. Hope you enjoy the product.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 09-08-2022, 12:02 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wquiles
Just got and installed the V3 controller in my 991.2 2017 base Carrera coupe. Not even 24H from install, but in normal mode, I can already enjoy the slightly softer feel in our bad roads here in Dallas, but still feels in control & smooth at highway speeds!. Also, now enabling firm more is no longer "hard" or jarring like the OEM module - I could see how some say you "could" leave it on firm mode all of the time.

Of course I will backup the factory settings/calibration before trying anything else, but am I reading this right that this one is the only one from the DSC website that I can try in my car/module since I have the OEM suspension, right?

Glad you are liking your DSC V3 controller so far.

If your DSC V3 controller was purchased new from DSC or TPC on or after the date of January 2021, then you have the "newer version" of V3. Which I suppose "unofficially" for the purpose of calibration file compatibility let's refer to the newer version as "V3.2". Sorry I am only a lowly employee so I don't get to name the products as I see fit, to my logic. Back to your question- If your DSC controller is V3.1 (production year 2018-2020), then I recommend using the "TOUR" file dated 02-12-20 as it is the most highly developed calibration for this version of the V3 controller. If your DSC controller is V3.2 (production year 2021-present), then I recommend using the "RS" file dated 12-26-21 which has all of the positive comfort attributes from the previous "TOUR" file in Normal mode plus further refinements in all modes to optimize the more evolved controller version.

I think perhaps the name of the cal file "RS" sounds more hard edged than "TOUR" which can create some confusion for users but it is not the case at all with DSC cal files since there are two modes(Chassis Normal mode and Chassis Sport mode) and each DSC mode have huge range of damper control to react to the driver's inputs to make the best of the driving situation in real time. In the same approach as many high performance product manufacturers, each version is result of our best efforts to the environment for that time period.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

The version of the controller can be identified by the date on the side of the controller and also can be identified by using DSC Tuner software as illustrated in the video below.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
jimjoe997 (09-10-2022), pfbz (09-09-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:14 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

As Tom said, get the "RS" file, upload it to the DSC unit and play around with it. On the "Comfort" table, decrease or increase the default damping rate to suit to your taste. Same on the "Sport" table.
But you might find the stock and RS files to be perfect for you.
Read he whole thread, lots of info still applicable to V3.2.
As long as you have backup copy of the default file loaded on the unit, you can try different settings and experiment.
One of the best mods for the 991!
Old 09-08-2022, 06:53 PM
wquiles
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Glad you are liking your DSC V3 controller so far.

If your DSC V3 controller was purchased new from DSC or TPC on or after the date of January 2021, then you have the "newer version" of V3. Which I suppose "unofficially" for the purpose of calibration file compatibility let's refer to the newer version as "V3.2". Sorry I am only a lowly employee so I don't get to name the products as I see fit, to my logic. Back to your question- If your DSC controller is V3.1 (production year 2018-2020), then I recommend using the "TOUR" file dated 02-12-20 as it is the most highly developed calibration for this version of the V3 controller. If your DSC controller is V3.2 (production year 2021-present), then I recommend using the "RS" file dated 12-26-21 which has all of the positive comfort attributes from the previous "TOUR" file in Normal mode plus further refinements in all modes to optimize the more evolved controller version.

I think perhaps the name of the cal file "RS" sounds more hard edged than "TOUR" which can create some confusion for users but it is not the case at all with DSC cal files since there are two modes(Chassis Normal mode and Chassis Sport mode) and each DSC mode have huge range of damper control to react to the driver's inputs to make the best of the driving situation in real time. In the same approach as many high performance product manufacturers, each version is result of our best efforts to the environment for that time period.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

The version of the controller can be identified by the date on the side of the controller and also can be identified by using DSC Tuner software as illustrated in the video below.
https://youtu.be/Lw1sVBxSHtA
Thank you Tom. I ordered new from you guys and received it new about a week ago, so it must be the "new" V3.2 module. I will save the factory file and try the RS version this weekend.

Originally Posted by dannyss
As Tom said, get the "RS" file, upload it to the DSC unit and play around with it. On the "Comfort" table, decrease or increase the default damping rate to suit to your taste. Same on the "Sport" table.
But you might find the stock and RS files to be perfect for you.
Read he whole thread, lots of info still applicable to V3.2.
As long as you have backup copy of the default file loaded on the unit, you can try different settings and experiment.
One of the best mods for the 991!
Definitely looking forward to trying the RS file
Old 09-08-2022, 07:04 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wquiles
Thank you Tom. I ordered new from you guys and received it new about a week ago, so it must be the "new" V3.2 module. I will save the factory file and try the RS version this weekend.

Definitely looking forward to trying the RS file
since your controller is new it came already with “RS” file. Enjoy 😊
Old 09-08-2022, 07:10 PM
wquiles
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
since your controller is new it came already with “RS” file. Enjoy 😊
Nice - good to know!. That helps explains why it feels to me so well planted/sorted in normal mode compared to the stock/oem module. You guys have had time to "play" with the settings for a while now

Since my 911 is a daily driver, and roads here in Texas are so-so, this module is a must-have for city driving, plus it feels great on the highway as well.

I still plan on connecting to the module this weekend, making a backup of the file and doing the zero ride height sensor adjustment.

Last edited by wquiles; 09-08-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:58 PM
tx-911
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a question for @Tom@TPC Racing or anyone else that might know. I recently lowered the rear KW HAS a couple more mm, and last night I decided to zero the ride height with the DSC software since figured things had settled by now.

This is on a 2021 build V3 controller (“V3.2”) with the RS calibration loaded on a 991.2 C2S with PASM dampers (and a KW HAS kit). While at it, decided to check for codes using the DSC tuner software, and to my surprise, I had an open circuit (value 1) on FL damper. I opened the frunk, removed the plastic cover, and noticed I had forgotten to hook up the connection to the front passenger (FR) damper after I had worked in re-routing my trickle charger feed wire 2 weeks ago, and needed to move things around a bit, however, the FL (driver) side damper connection was fine. I connected the FR, reset the board and pulled the codes again, and the code was gone (all 0s), but I couldn’t understand why the code seemed to be pointing at the wrong side. As a test, I jumped in the back and disconnected the RR (passenger) damper, and pulled codes, and the DSC software again showed an open circuit code (value 1) BUT it said the code was on RL even though I disconnected the RR damper. Hooked it all up, reset, and no codes. What gives?? Am I going crazy here? Why would disconnecting one side show open circuit on the opposite side?

As a side note, the ride height sensors (after re-zeroing) all seem to point at the appropriate corners using the DSC tuner software, as standing on the driver side door sill will make the left sided sensors drop -2 mm down to 0 (I zeroed them with me sitting on the driver seat to simulate normal driving conditions), so on those, the DSC info matches the appropriate side of the car.

TIA.

Last edited by tx-911; 09-09-2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:13 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 533 Posts

Tom, dumb question alert, I bought one from a member here, How will I know what version it is. Never mind saw the video

Last edited by B Russ; 09-09-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:36 PM
wquiles
Instructor

OK, done for today. Here I am downloading a back-up of my existing/oem parameter file:

Here is the version in my 2-week old, brand new DSC V3 module (for my 991.2 2017 911 C2 base model):

zero adjustment:

Instructions from DSC are super easy to follow
Old 09-24-2022, 07:36 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,988 Likes on 945 Posts

@Tom@TPC Racing

My car needed some suspension work that required PDCC to be disconnected (or not) and now the dealer needs to bleed the PDCC and recalibrate it.

The dealer is unable to do so because "there is an aftermarket suspension control unit installed".

Can you please help with this, what could be preventing them from bleeding/burping the PDCC? I am getting this Fault every time I drive the car:

Any help/guidance you can provide would be appreciated, thank you in advance

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module