2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish it was a GT3, TURBO S or GTS

Wish it had a Front Axel Lift
Wish it was a wide body
Wish it had full leather and Carbon Fiber inserts
Wish it had the Burmster

But since beggars can't be choosers and I got this car used 2014 C2S CPO with only 12K miles and is 7spd manual PDCC, sport/sport plus and various options I can't be mad and but nothing but happy with what I have. I'll just have to build my own to my own specs on my future car.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles

really? I thought most people liked their MT feel on their 991.
These comments are are in reference to a new Carrera T.

Some of the problems that I’m having may reflect a transmission defect, while others apparently are endemic.

Shifting from 4th to 5th sometimes works normally and other times seems like I’m locked out of 5th. It will always work on the second try. I have been trying to figure out if there are specific conditions (e.g. shifting under a heavier load) that causes this problem, but no luck so far. Car has 2000 miles so is broken in enough by now.

Heel and toe. Yes, you can do this in “normal” mode, but the throttle response is not as lively, AND the engine runs hotter. Sport and Sport+ make full use of the available cooling, whereas “normal” does not.

Turning PSM off does not kill the auto blip, on my car at least. When you shift to a lower gear with the clutch pedal remaining depressed the engine already speeds up to rev match. GRRR!

SPASM is a disappointment—too bouncy/floaty. Probably fixable with a DSC controller, but why should I have to fix this on a $120k car?

Honestly, my base 981 Cayman with 6mt and X73 cost less than half as much and is twice the fun.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I actually made a video about this same topic https://youtu.be/MAYMMVw18ms
Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Brakes squealing
Loose steering
Bass on stereo rattles
Chrome parts on interior sun glare
Softer leather on dash and sides
Old 08-14-2018, 04:44 PM
mapman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this thread earlier today and after going out for a drive I have three very small nits to pick.
First, it would be great if the Climate Control did not default to 72 degrees every time that the car is started (it could be that I have not located this in the 300 page manual though).
Second and as noted above, the Auto Start Stop should be an option rather than default. I realize that this is how the manufacturers are meeting fuel economy requirements but it it an irritant.
Third as noted above, the radiator protection (actually the lack of such protection) is a serious oversight on the part of the engineers. I wonder what their rationale is for leaving it off (I have fitted the Rennline grills to protect mine)

Other not even nits:
The owners manual is this 4 sided flap thing that is just crap. All your registrations and insurance cards just fall out. Seems really cheesy and there should be a sleeve like every other car that I have owned.
The dummy key is stupid, but I can live with it. I would rather have a big plastic thing to stick in the switch like the Macan.
It would be nice to have less road noise but then this is a sports car and not a 7 series limo.

FWIW, I have done a couple of DE track days in the past month and both instructors were very impressed with the car. Both of them said at some point during the sessions that they are now going to have to go out and get one for themselves. It is a 991.2 GTS and the car is fantastic. I will not be losing any sleep to put up with the above issues.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:46 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 236 Posts

Faster reacting hill holder.
Noise cancellation technology,
Option to lower windows before open the door for easier entry in tight spots.

Last edited by justabout; 08-14-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
These are always so illustrative threads, because they show how much more the new wave of 911 owners has changed even more so than the 991 itself.

Agree 100%! Push button start?!?!? WTH?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

1. Substantially shorter gearing, like, 15-20% shorter.
  2. Parking brake in the centre console. I also think it's backward. Intuitively I want to pull it towards me to engage, push away to disengage.
That's really it for me. The rest is all more personal stuff that would be dealt with in the aftermarket.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Love my 991.1 GTS. Main improvement I would like to see is in regards to PDK sport setting (automatic). I get that in normal mode PDK should have conservative shifting. But in sport mode, it shouldn't be shifting to 5th gear when you are going 40 MPH. I drive in manual most of the time, but would love to see better mapping in automatic when in sport.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Normally aspirated, large displacement motor
Hydraulic steering
Cushier Seats
Slightly shorter wheel base.
Done!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Nothing, not a thing. I LOVE my 911!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 PM
JKE_MN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mapman
First, it would be great if the Climate Control did not default to 72 degrees every time that the car is started .
If you press the SET button on the drivers door, followed by pressing the button with the image of a key, It should store your desired temperature setting. All subsequent starts will set the temp you stored.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mapman
I saw this thread earlier today and after going out for a drive I have three very small nits to pick.
First, it would be great if the Climate Control did not default to 72 degrees every time that the car is started (it could be that I have not located this in the 300 page manual though).
Second and as noted above, the Auto Start Stop should be an option rather than default. I realize that this is how the manufacturers are meeting fuel economy requirements but it it an irritant.
Third as noted above, the radiator protection (actually the lack of such protection) is a serious oversight on the part of the engineers. I wonder what their rationale is for leaving it off (I have fitted the Rennline grills to protect mine)

Other not even nits:
The owners manual is this 4 sided flap thing that is just crap. All your registrations and insurance cards just fall out. Seems really cheesy and there should be a sleeve like every other car that I have owned.
The dummy key is stupid, but I can live with it. I would rather have a big plastic thing to stick in the switch like the Macan.
It would be nice to have less road noise but then this is a sports car and not a 7 series limo.

FWIW, I have done a couple of DE track days in the past month and both instructors were very impressed with the car. Both of them said at some point during the sessions that they are now going to have to go out and get one for themselves. It is a 991.2 GTS and the car is fantastic. I will not be losing any sleep to put up with the above issues.
The climate control defaults to the setting that was present when you pushed the memory button for the seat settings (if you have memory seats). If you want it to default to a different setting, change the temperature and fan settings, then reprogram your key fob/door buttons.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 686 Posts

The ability to scroll only preset stations in the Multifunction Display. My .1 TT had it, but they "forgot" it on the .2 and have yet to do an update (AFAIK). SmartTop absolutely worth the $ - of course, the Targa still has to be stopped to put up or down. I give the nod to cabs there.
Otherwise, this Targa is one of my favorites of all time. Almost as fast as my '15 TT with the Powerkit (at least it feels it) and a MT. My wife even likes to ride in it. We took it to Asheville for Treffen last fall (1300 miles in 3 days) and had plenty of room for gear and were comfortable for long (8 hr +) stretches. We usually take the S550 on longer trips, but this car did fine.
Only thing I would consider at this point is a GT3 Touring cab over this car. Just because, well, a MT GT3 cab (if it gets made).
Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 PM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

Basically I think that fuel economy standards force them to have Auto start/stop active each time you start the car - But if not, one thing I'd change is to add the ability to have the car start up in the Individual drive mode vs normal - I've only had the car a short while, but it looks like it always defaults back to normal and won't save to the key. (which makes sense because you could set the auto/start/stop to off in individual mode)

Another very minor thing would be to have a visual indicator of the stereo volume. Unless I've missed something, you have no idea if the stereo goes to 11, since you don't see any kind of volume indicator in the pcm.

The parking brake.. as mentioned.

But really really loving the car and I'm totally reaching on the complaints as it is...

Quick Reply: what would you change in 991