Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would you change in 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny for nearly every comment about what to change, there are people who like it as is. (Except auto start/stop I don’t believe I know anybody that likes that option as default).

Dummy my key is awesome in my opinion, brings a smile to my face everytime I use it (didn’t get that from my previous push button car). If you don’t like the dummy key, it’s super easy to remove....but then you need to use the actual key so likely not a win there.

As for parking brake, push engage and pull release actually matches typical floor brake operation. I know it’s not like console hand brak operation but it still does make sense given the location.

As for volume indicator, I’m almost positive I see it when you turn the dial, it pops up in the top border of the PCM and then disappears.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

If I could change anything on my 991 I'd make it a '73 RS.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 PM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JustBud
If I could change anything on my 991 I'd make it a '73 RS.
Best comment yet!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
The ability to scroll only preset stations in the Multifunction Display. My .1 TT had it, but they "forgot" it on the .2 and have yet to do an update (AFAIK). SmartTop absolutely worth the $ - of course, the Targa still has to be stopped to put up or down. I give the nod to cabs there.
Otherwise, this Targa is one of my favorites of all time. Almost as fast as my '15 TT with the Powerkit (at least it feels it) and a MT. My wife even likes to ride in it. We took it to Asheville for Treffen last fall (1300 miles in 3 days) and had plenty of room for gear and were comfortable for long (8 hr +) stretches. We usually take the S550 on longer trips, but this car did fine.
Only thing I would consider at this point is a GT3 Touring cab over this car. Just because, well, a MT GT3 cab (if it gets made).
As per their web site the Smart Top allows the Targa to go about 10 mph while putting the top up or down. And why all the fuss about the parking brake...you can just drive away with it set and it comes off automatically, right?
Old 08-14-2018, 09:46 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
Option to lower windows before open the door for easier entry in tight spots.
If you hold down the unlock button on your key, the windows will roll down FYI. If you hold the lock button, they go back up. Very useful for hot days to ventilate car before entering
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

My stripper 991.2 GTS with SPASM is a great, I enjoy it every day. And I like the 5MT it came with ('cause I never use 6th and 7th).

I would have a button to disable the auto rev function at will.
And I would remove sound deadening in the back to let in more mechanical engine noise (like the earlier Caymans)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Since this is wishful thinking...

A proper mechanical parking brake with a proper lever.

50 lbs more sound proofing, as least for a "touring" model.

Start/stop delete.

Better factory/PCNA support for technically and mechanically inclined owners.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:51 AM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Bought mine 4 days ago
I have a short list.

no backup camera - its hard to see behind you
smarttop
windows should not go up after the top is down
the back side windows should be in sync with the front windows
its noise inside on some road types
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

weight loss
Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

The audiopilot feature does...absolutely...nothing. I would have the audiopilot actually do something meaningful like raise and lower the volume as speed and road noise increase or decrease. Isn't that what it is supposed to do? It doesn't.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
The audiopilot feature does...absolutely...nothing. I would have the audiopilot actually do something meaningful like raise and lower the volume as speed and road noise increase or decrease. Isn't that what it is supposed to do? It doesn't.
I think it does work but just not enough. I drove with it off and remember having to crank the volume up and and down even more than when it was on
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 AM
TQP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with most issues here esp auto engine stop/start. Other stuff:
- If only the Targa had a glass top... Forced to get glass roof on coupe. Would be nice if the sunroof opened more than a sliver.
- Sport mirrors don't fold up when locking. Interesting that that the standard mirrors do. Have to manually turn them up each time
- LED lighting should be standard - inside and out
- RAS should also be standard on all models
- Porsche dealers/company should offer a one day track day for all new 911 buyers - perhaps mandatory for buyers of GT3 and Turbo S super high performance models

While upgrading speakers I added sound deadening materials to doors - much quieter and improves sound of speakers - would be nice if Porsche would offer that as an option
Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

- 4 inches narrower would be nice. There's really no need for the large center tunnel and console. If the car gets much wider it will come off my list as too wide for my narrow parking space. (Not a problem for large American garages but I'm sure the Europeans are worried.) The articulated door hinges of the original Lexus SCs would be great as well.
- Lose the shiny chrome dash trim. Brushed or a much less reflective coating should be standard.
- Better sun visors. They should be a bit bigger to reach to the mirror and/or have a second smaller one for the front corner of the door windows.
- More clocks. Somehow the four spaced around the sport chrono, dash and PCM just aren't enough...
Old 08-15-2018, 07:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Put a small lip on the rear edge of the plastic triangle at the front of the door window- a la the aftermarket - to give everyone the simple solution to the buffeting that occurs with windows down in coupes.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

put the engine in the middle.

Quick Reply: what would you change in 991