suspected coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suspected coolant leak

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out here... I have new 991.2 C2S (delivered to me end of March '18). It has been back to the dealer twice for the same problem.. There is a leak appearing around the sill and wheel arch liner behind the front left wheel (see pics.) . Nothing was found to be faulty the first time, a few weeks later it happened again.. This time I checked the coolant level and it was below minimum.. Again the car was picked up and taken to the dealer.. They discovered that the waterpump was cracked (manufacturing fault) and also found a leak near the engine.. However none of this explains the leak at the front. The washer bottle sits above where the leak is but.. I have never filled it since taking delivery of the car and I have only used the washers 4 or 5 times.. (it's been great weather for some time). The washer bottle was still well filled which leads me to believe it isn't the water bottle.. The leakage is only happening when the engine gets up to temperature. My car has now been with the dealer for 4 weeks in total with no conclusive answer as to the cause of this leak.. There is no evidence of the leak on the ground after the car is parked up. They have done well in discovering the faulty water pump etc. , but I fear this leak will just happen again which is not acceptable on a £103k car.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Cowan

Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 401 Posts

It is probably windshield washer fluid, some other type of moisture that was in the rain tray or you ran through a puddle.

There's a few chat's about the very same subject.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
It is probably windshield washer fluid, some other type of moisture that was in the rain tray or you ran through a puddle.

There's a few chat's about the very same subject.
The strange thing is.. No puddles were driven through and no rain.. Thanks for letting me know about other similar threads on Rennlist regarding this issue, I'll have a look for them.

cheers,

Cowan
Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I think it's washer fluid too. I'd clean it off, not use the washer fluid for a few days and see if it comes back.

If it is coolant leak the car will tell you if it gets low so there shouldn't be much risk.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The dripping in your first photo is actually pretty common (my 2017 does the same). There is a RL thread on this but I was unable to locate it. If I remember correctly, I think the general consensus was that it was AC condensate and benign. Surprised the dealer wouldn't have been aware of this.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Its not A/C condensate, all of the plumbing for that is on the passenger side. Its not coolant either. Just don't completely fill the windshield washer fluid bottle to keep it from sloshing out.

Here's are some threads about it... you can see it is identical:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1037...h-is-this.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1000...-attached.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/974448-dirty-runs.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9855...luid-leak.html
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Windshield washer fluid. When the washer connection broke on mine (Repaired under warranty), I had the same thing. Check the connection between the fender and the hood. Once fixed, it disappeared.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Thanks guys! much appreciated!

I'll ask the dealer to check the washer fluid connection between the hood and the fender.

I was a bit surprised at the dealer service department when they didn't recognise a picture I sent them of an opened coolant reservoir showing the coolant level...

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 AM
CanMikePlay
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a black plastic tube, drivers side, in the corner at the hinge. Runs between the body and the front hood. Breaks routinely. And it's easy to hit the dispense button without realizing it. So there you are, pouring the fluid on the ground.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Just looked at my car and see the exact same run marks. There is no windshield wiper leak in my car and my fluid is not overfilled. Hardly ever use the fluid anyway, and certainly did not recently with all the good weather. I did encounter a lot of fog this weekend and used my wipers. I think the run marks are the result of water runoff from using your wipers. Wipers move for right to left and all the water gets slung over the driver side and down the side of the car. Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking by it.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:49 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

It's washer fluid, as stated. Mine did it too. Run some of your washer fluid out to get the level lower in the reservoir and your problem should be solved.

I found the factory fill fluid very oily/slimy, so I ran it all out before a wash one day and put in distilled water as I've done in my other cars without issue. However, the 911 won't register the reservoir as full with distilled water and you'll get the fill reminder. I also read on here about folks with mold issues using only water (although I've done this on other vehicles for years without issues). I finally broke down and put some Nextzett washer fluid in there, heavily diluted, and all is well.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:18 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine did that too then stopped when the washer fluid got lower.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Thanks again for the input! It is strange. Hasn't done it for the first 3k miles and then it suddenly started, even though I NEVER used the washers around the time it started happening and haven't since. Real strange..
Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

It's windshield washer fluid. It's happened in both my 981 Cayman and 991 911. Both have a shared front end design. The problem is intermittent and is probably a combination of fluid level and how aggressively you take the corners. If the car is still at the dealer, have them syphon some fluid and/or operate the system several times.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Pretty incompetent dealer garage I would say. That leakage is exactly where the windshield/headlight washer bottle is. I just can't understand how in the world they can't fix it. All it takes is remove the wheel, peel the cover off the wheel liner and you have open access to the whole assembly. One of 2 places could develp a leak. The bottle itself or the pumps. If you have headlight washer than there are 2 pumps, one for the windshield and one of the headlight. My 997.2 had exactly the same issue with a leaky pump and I fixed it myself.

Quick Reply: suspected coolant leak