https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...e-2018-rumors/ . or

try one of these

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...0-2017-review/
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

http://www.drakancars.com/drakan-specifications/

elemental sports cars offer a lot of bang for the buck, but are less usable than they are novel. 4 wheel substitutes for motorcycles
Old 07-21-2018, 12:22 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

I just had to dig this thread up from the fifth page!

I suppose there are few left to comment on the intended topic, but there is interest in a fully developed Cayman beyond this forum.

https://www.teambgb.com/default.asp
Old 07-21-2018, 01:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Probably because there is a big difference between a specification sheet and actual driving reality.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the purported 982/718 GT4, isn't 430HP enough for you in 1370kg car? or is it the absence of rear multi-link (which realistically you only notice in a meaningful way through very high speed compressions) or is it price point. Are you willing to pay the GT3 price for a GT4?

Or do you want a race car on the road? (always hopeless).
Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

As predicted earlier in this thread, Corvette has now forced Porsche's hand.

Porsche, give us the mid-engine cars we deserve. No more near-motorsports developments. No more 8k RPM only. No more adherence to tradition for the sake of the 911.

Make the car we know you can. Let us buy it.

The greatest car I have been fortunate to own is the GT4 Cayman I foolishly sold.

GIVE US A GT4 RS
Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
As predicted earlier in this thread, Corvette has now forced Porsche's hand.

Porsche, give us the mid-engine cars we deserve. No more near-motorsports developments. No more 8k RPM only. No more adherence to tradition for the sake of the 911.

Make the car we know you can. Let us buy it.

The greatest car I have been fortunate to own is the GT4 Cayman I foolishly sold.

GIVE US A GT4 RS
You sir are asking for Porsche to impede upon it's roots. I think they'll continue to inch the motor forward on the 911 platform before they'll ever unleash the Cayman platform. At some point the storage space behind the driver and passenger seat (can't really call that a back seat ) in the 911 will disappear and you'll have a mid engine beast from Porsche........Phil
Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
You sir are asking for Porsche to impede upon it's roots.
Welcome to the business world. You can knife your own baby, or the competition can do it for you.

Porsche has avoided learning that lesson so far, so their arrogance has been perhaps understandable.

So far.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Who knows. They may already be working on one
Old 07-20-2019, 04:21 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

2000 views of this thread in the last 48 hours.

Someone must have an opinion other than Boots, SlowT4, and Noah Fect.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:31 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think the car needs to be mid-engine. Have any of you reached the limits and of the rear-engined GT3/2/RS? I'd bet 95% of this forum and drivers have not (myself included).
Old 07-21-2019, 06:47 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
I don't think the car needs to be mid-engine. Have any of you reached the limits and of the rear-engined GT3/2/RS? I'd bet 95% of this forum and drivers have not (myself included).
Well it's probably less about the car's absolute limit than it's forgiveness. Has any 911 owner not accidentally spun at least a little due to letting up too much in a turn? With mid engine cars it's much less of an issue.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Perhaps this is our invitation from Porsche to go buy a C8...
Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 81 Posts

Last I checked GT3 RS and GT2 RS set faster lap times than many mid engine super cars. There are still some real and practical advantages to rear weight biased car. Especially in low traction situations. Porsche has done very good job of shifting weight forward in modern 911's as well - while many believe Cayman is 50/50 its not and is actually very close to new 992 from weight distribution perspective. . I can say that my 991.2 T handles better in many ways than my past Cayman and Boxsters. I also dont see Cayman GT4 problem being lack of power. Its more of an issue with compromised rear suspension, lack of rear wheel steer and overly tall gearing and lack of pdk in GT4. A GT3 with rear wheel steer for all practical purposes will out handle a GT4 in many circumstances.

New Corvette is awesome car but I dont think it spells end to iconic rear engine 911. I think Porsche has more they can bring to 911 platform including addition of hybrid systems which will further balance the car from weight distribution perspective.

....However I do think we are entering one of more interesting times in automotive engineering and product marketing with advent of electric and hybrid systems. I suspect Porsche will be releasing an EV sports car before they make 911 mid engine. ..and EV sort of turns everything upside down. EV from a handling perspective can be made to be much better than traditional petrol based powerplants. Being able to move power instantaneously to wheel that needs power is going to be next big revolution . Anyone who has watched how heavy Teslas put down instant power in autocross and track days understands old school piston engines are likely not going to be around by middle of the century. Most of us combustion engine fans are also getting long in the tooth and newer generations are not as excited with piston power. ...In fact many loath piston power now. I think Porsche probably spends less time grappling with whether to make 911 mid engine and more about how they will handle roll out of EV and hybrid sports cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grantsfo:
Noah Fect (07-22-2019), Zeus993 (08-07-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Last I checked GT3 RS and GT2 RS set faster lap times than many mid engine super cars. There are still some real and practical advantages to rear weight biased car. Especially in low traction situations. Porsche has done very good job of shifting weight forward in modern 911's as well - while many believe Cayman is 50/50 its not and is actually very close to new 992 from weight distribution perspective. . I can say that my 991.2 T handles better in many ways than my past Cayman and Boxsters. I also dont see Cayman GT4 problem being lack of power. Its more of an issue with compromised rear suspension, lack of rear wheel steer and overly tall gearing and lack of pdk in GT4. A GT3 with rear wheel steer for all practical purposes will out handle a GT4 in many circumstances.

New Corvette is awesome car but I dont think it spells end to iconic rear engine 911. I think Porsche has more they can bring to 911 platform including addition of hybrid systems which will further balance the car from weight distribution perspective.

....However I do think we are entering one of more interesting times in automotive engineering and product marketing with advent of electric and hybrid systems. I suspect Porsche will be releasing an EV sports car before they make 911 mid engine. ..and EV sort of turns everything upside down. EV from a handling perspective can be made to be much better than traditional petrol based powerplants. Being able to move power instantaneously to wheel that needs power is going to be next big revolution . Anyone who has watched how heavy Teslas put down instant power in autocross and track days understands old school piston engines are likely not going to be around by middle of the century. Most of us combustion engine fans are also getting long in the tooth and newer generations are not as excited with piston power. ...In fact many loath piston power now. I think Porsche probably spends less time grappling with whether to make 911 mid engine and more about how they will handle roll out of EV and hybrid sports cars.
Great points.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Just because I like beating dead horses:

https://rennlist.com/articles/inside...rsche-911-rsr/

Where is that motor again?

Quick Reply: Dear Porsche,